Skip navigation

Sold

Back to the top
the mk4 calipers are alloy so lighter and don't rust like the mk2/3. i don't think they are any better at braking. i used the standard mk4 hoses and mk2 handbrake cables

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

As you say the rears do so little, I wouldn't spend money on uprated stuff, standard/cheaper parts would be fine.

Your prob right but if I'm doing it I'd rather go overboard and know it's going to be better than I need it to be.

I'll see the difference but think the 239mm rear discs arnt a bad price 

Back to the top

sporttrucker said

the mk4 calipers are alloy so lighter and don't rust like the mk2/3. i don't think they are any better at braking. i used the standard mk4 hoses and mk2 handbrake cables

Yep the mk4 are ment to be better as they are alloy but the guy who has the front caliper setup might also have the rear setup too plus the rears got braided hoses so I will be able to use them too.

Back to the top
I've been thinking it would be a good time to change the brake fluid too as I'm not sure how old it is.

The clutch system is tapped into the brake fluid setup by the looks so I'll have to research how to bleed a setup like that.

Also which spec brakef fluid is good just for a fast road setup

Back to the top
My contact has got the mk4 rear calipers so I've decided to go for them.

So which handbrake cable do I need??

Also I'll have to look for a supplier of the hose to convert them.

Back to the top
From what I understand it's the mk2 16v GTI cables that are needed

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

From what I understand it's the mk2 16v GTI cables that are needed

Thanks I'll have a look into it 

Back to the top
I think its actually scirocco (??) 16v cables that are required, as this has a mk1 golf platform with rear discs, afaik..  mk 2 golf cables are longer I believe, no idea if they fit. Cand r enterprises used to sell h/brake cables for mk1 golf with discs, no idea if they still do..

Back to the top
Scirocco cables sounds familiar?!?

The calipers should be here before the weekend so I'll decide if to strip the calipers down and paint or just fit them as they are.

I've ordered the Goodrich rear hoses and front caliper brackets.

I just need to decide on which brand of brake disc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300320637280 

Back to the top
C&R is £71 for the handbrake cables!!!!!!

Back to the top
That would be why your car is called the money pit.  :P

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door for parts.
  • 1998 Seat Cupra + another used as a donor for the MK1
  • 1999 Passat Wagon. Needs street cred but at least it's a manual.

Back to the top

sports racer said

That would be why your car is called the money pit.  :P

It's never been right since i bought it!

Don't worry that it will be right when I've finished granted I could of had a mk7 gti top spec instead for the money.

Back to the top
Anyone know which year scirocco I should the handbrake cables off??

Back to the top
I don't think they made many, but as it had the mk2 golf 16v engine I would guess 1987/88. Incidentally I bought a set of these from vw (few years ago now) used with mk2 golf calipers, and if my memory is correct I found them a little stretched, thought they could have been a bit longer.

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

I don't think they made many, but as it had the mk2 golf 16v engine I would guess 1987/88. Incidentally I bought a set of these from vw (few years ago now) used with mk2 golf calipers, and if my memory is correct I found them a little stretched, thought they could have been a bit longer.

Yeah one page I read said they cut off 10mm off the outer sleave so they had more cable.

Just saves me walking in gsf and looking a tw*t

Back to the top
Hoses have turned up as have the adaptor brackets for the bigger front calipers.

Had a go at getting the disc off and that little sucker of a screw holding the disc on is very tight!

Back to the top
Calipers turned up today!

Carriers are a bit rusty so looks like I'll rubbing away with the wire brush for a few hours !!!

Back to the top
Also been looking at getting some banded steels.

A few for sale but 9" wide on the rear!! Or 8.5" but think they will be a bit too wide 

Back to the top
IMG_3624.JPG

Got the brakes now and going to paint them red to match the other red parts under the car but with the zender turbo wheels you can't really see the calipers anyway.

Back to the top
IMG_2234.JPG

Did anyone watch two pints of lager and a packet of crisps?

When I've was over at Runcorn having the mapping down I found the pub they used for the filming which isn't a pub now…

(Old photo cars currently in bits lol)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.