Skip navigation

Sold

Back to the top
Got the turbo back and it's been fully rebuilt, shot blastered and painted.

Found a crack in the downpipe so off to Tony banks exhausts in leeds for some welding. I can highly recommend these guys.

Just need to refit it all back together now.

Back to the top
Yesterday was the rebuild day.

The rebuild was pretty straight forward apart from been awkward.

New oil and filters with coolant filled and checked.

I cranked the engine with the fuel disconnected to allow oil around the turbo and to get the coolant round.

So here comes the moment of truth!!

Turn of the key and it fired  :thumbs: plenty of smoke out the exhaust as it needs to burn all the oil residue out.

Then, not what you want to hear. A big bang!

It's now blown out the rubber bung from the side of the engine from the crankcase pressure been too high.

So as the engines running a oil catch can im thinking the whole things shot.

I decided to check the breather pipes which seem all good apart from the feed to the oil catch can.

Guess what it's blocked which is what will of blown the oil seals in the turbo.

The pipe should be 19mm internal but who ever built engine has reduced it to 11mm into the catch can which has then blocked.

So all this damage and lost time because of this issue!!

The saying build it don't buy it comes to mind.

I've order some 19mm internal pipe to drop to the floor ne'er the gearbox to allow it to vent down there.

Back to the top
Oh that's frustrating, nothing terminal though at least.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I've run the car for a day or so now and can report the bc coilovers have an excellent ride even though they are sitting lower than the other setup.

I just need to drop the fronts the level the car out.

The good thing is you can adjust the height without effecting the preload on the spring.

On the turbo subject, as the turbo is running rs4 internals now I'll be updating the actuator so I can maybe take the boost higher to maybe 25psi but we will see what the mapper can produce.

I looked at meth injection but traction is an issue already so maybe I should drop some money into an lsd setup first.

Next jobs are new steering rack and anothe four wheel alignment and dial in -1.5 camber.

Quick shift tt tower for a shorter throw.

Back to the top
So here's how the car is not sitting on the coilovers (bad lighting on photo) image.jpg

The old suspension : koni adjustables with eibech springs image.jpg  The rim to arch on the rear is 75mm and 105mm on the front with the new suspension. I'm not sure if I should drop the front a little more to level it out a touch. Do you like the sticker!!

image.jpg

Back to the top
Haha great sticker!!

I think the car sits well  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
In going to see how it settles then decide if to take the back up or the front down.

Next on shopping list is a beech buggy uprated actuator for the new turbo so I can max it out, another trip to efi parts.

Next is replacing the steering rack, boots and ball joints then a four wheel setup.

Back to the top
So next up is fitting a new steering rack to lose some play and vague feeling I'm getting at speed.

Any tips and suggestion for thing to do and not do to make life easy swapping rack? Even though it's got the 20vt in it looks easy enough access.

Back to the top
Today's jobs.

Removed oil catch can system and fitted the correct size vent pipe, ive run it down the front of the gearbox.

I've lowered the front coilovers another 10mm.

The dampers have been adjusted to 2 clicks from the softest. The car has poly bushes everywhere so doing this will give it some needed flex on road which I can dial out on track days.

Back to the top
Holly :))) i was wondering where my post went :D sry. Sry for the  offtopic! 

Last edit: by feghea

Back to the top
feghea think you might of posted in the wrong place  :offtopic:

Back to the top
The money pit has become to main daily family car, it has been used it all weather. Luckily no snow or grit then I'll be car less.

Sold the Range Rover sport and I'm still working on the bodywork of the new t5 for another month.

I've raised the bc coilovers 15mm on the front and 20mm on the rear as it's far too stiff for road use plus the kids feel sick in the back. Also been adjusting the dampers to find the right settings.

I've got a little issue with water in the boot on the drivers side down in the bottom corner so ive that to look into.

Oh and handbrake cable snapped also.

The new rs4 hybrid turbo is working well, sounds more aggressive than the ko4 hybrid but still needs another mapping session.

The bc coilovers are doing well so Id recommend them for the money, I like that I can adjust the ride height with effecting the preload on the springs.

Back to the top
To do list. *Find coolant leak! *Fit steering rack still. *Rear brakes sticking. *Handbrake cable snapped. * water in passenger footwell and passenger rear side. * quick shifter to fit *forge actuator to fit *then needs mapping again.

The money pit continues ! 

Back to the top
Great project. Painful to read the hassles but it will be awesome when finished.

Interesting that the kids feel sick in the back….girlfriend complains of it in the front, never thought about how bad it would be in the rear!

Back to the top
Yeah eldest got out and threw up!

Wouldn't mind a was driving steady lol.

Back to the top
Finally sorted the coolant drop.

Got hold of a pressure tester and it was leaking from the heater paddle (not sure what it's called but allows flow to heater matrix), I hope water was tracking along the pipe and getting into the footwell as that would solve two problems.

Tested the head gasket while I was there and passed ok.

Back to the top
I decided to fire up the money pit and take it out for a drive as its been stood a while till I sorted the leak out.

Well it wasn't well, only running on three but after a while it cleared so that was a relief!!

Took it down motorway for 60 mile blast and it ran perfect, well over fueling a bit but not too bad.

The love hate with this car is so strong, I went from scrapping it to loving it within an hour.

Back to the top
Great thread and car!! Sounds like your having a lot of the same issues as me with regards to steering rack, suspension settings etc. It just takes a while to sort it all out. 

I'm so glad I went the 20v t route now, it's just so much fun to drive and will get even better with a new rack and the suspension set up properly.

Back to the top
Just a few updates.

The golfs been in storage for about eight weeks but before it went I noticed the paintwork has "issues".

Called into see my paint guy and he said it looks like there is water under the paint so it's not been prep'ed right but this car had been painted a while although lived in a garage I kept it outside under a cover.

Anyway if I get to use it this summer I'll sort the rack out, quick shifter, new hand brake cable and back brake calipers as they stick a little and have some fun.

Then over winter I need to decide if I 

A) I redo the whole cars paintwork and keep the factory look but ditching the zender spoiler.

B) A full colour change to more of a modified colour look, take off the arches and go custom.

I like both but also want to retain most value.

Then it's back to the mappers for more work, stronger actuator and mapping still needs doing for the bigger turbo. Also thinking about some meth injection for cooler intake temps but need to look into it more.

I'm also tempted to get a nice pair of front seats and take the standard interior out but that depends on what's decided for the outside.

Any thoughts?

Back to the top
I think your car looks great in white. I'd personally take the spoiler off. Any mods you make can usually be reversed if required  :thumbs:

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.