Skip navigation

Old project new thread - '83 gti

Back to the top

Back at it after 2 years

Not much going on with the car at the moment as I have been quite busy, I did the underseal inside the arch and put a few coats of primer on the outside despite not having finished smoothing the filler as much as I wanted. Will revisit this at some point anyway so not too bothered, needed to get the car back on it's 4 wheels anyway.

9B3B2C6E-A62B-43D0-9A2E-0C8CC8FF1DA8.jpeg

I got the car out the garage this weekend to tidy things up and noticed a fuel leak, one of the braided hoses to the fuel accumulator must have been pinched in between the beam and the fuel tank while the car was jacked up. It stopped coming out while the car engine wasn't running but taped it up and will tackle this before I get on with anything else.

7B7C8A86-71DD-4F9D-8117-C37546E357E1.jpeg

Back to the top
Have been busy lately so no time to work on the car, had a spare day last week and checked the source of the fuel leak, just the accumulator to pump line so ordered a new one. 

Fitted a new inlet manifold and bigger throttle body (Audi 80 I think) that I got last year, not as fiddly as some posts made out - but it was super useful to have an additional manifold off the car that I could reference to figure out where the bolts were located 

BA3C1A17-7008-4086-A230-130C79F769F5.jpeg D9D329A3-70FE-4C31-84A2-829F6D9624F4.jpeg

A few years back I sent the wur off to get reconditioned and received a different one back, so I called up the company and they said the one I sent was incorrect for my car and the replacement was definitely the one I need. I said it must have been put on there by the previous owner for a good reason and that I wanted the same back but they argued their point despite not knowing my car at all and I wasn't getting anywhere so just left it.

Having read up on the bigger throttle body mod it sounds like it pairs nicely with the 16v mk2 wur which is probably what I had in the first place, not sure if I should chase it up now and try and get another sent out! Does anyone know if it will affect performance negatively to not have the wur upgrade or will I not really notice much difference? 

Back to the top
Only my opinion as i have never done it ,  but i think any difference would be too small to measure…

Back to the top
The 16v WUR has a vacuum connection that changes the control pressure at WOT, providing additional fuel. As to how much difference it makes, I don't know. I've one fitted on mine, but cars not running yet!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.