Skip navigation

Lhasa Green GTI "Original Vision'"

Back to the top
Thought I'd spend a little time putting the grille and ash tray together rather an having individual boxes and packets lying around with all the other parts I've got stored.

All new and fresh as produced by VW back in the day!

Plan to have an early start tomorrow to make some more progress stripping last of parts off the car and removing the glass etc out ready for it to go to the restoration company at the beginning of next month.

Last edit: by clarksmk1

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Nice early start today whilst it was cooler and spent a couple of hours removing, sunroof, trim and glass.  Hopefully next weekend I'll have the fuel tank, lines and front door glass out ready for getting it ready to be sent off.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Will send you a PM as I have a NOS OEM surround section.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Ok thanks 

Back to the top
So, breakdown of work so far by restoration company during July:

• Grind off double skinned area of underside box
  • Grind off spot welds at front of spare wheel well
  • Scrape off under seal from chassis rails.  Clean up the new chassis rails that were supplied, scrape under seal off them and cut them up.  Drill spot welds out
  • Trim out cross members, straighten one of cross members, unpick spot welds.  Clean inside of the cross members
  • Carry out unpicking spot weld from cross members, sandblast cross member.
  • Grind away some spot welds around spare wheel well and scrape under seal off with oxy aceteline.  Trim around spare wheel well
  • Talk to customer through work done and to do.  Cut out main part of spare wheel tub.
  • Straighten cleaned up box section
  • Cut off both box sections from underneath front floor pans.  Clean up areas of floor pans.  Make up suitable wooden blocks and press areas of floor pans LH & RHF.  Straighten dents in floor pan and and floor swage lines
  • Talk to customer.  Heat up around flange holding spare wheel i so it can be scraped of under seal and sealer and stripped to bare metal.  Wire brush around spare wheel well out, and grind spot welds out top flange
  • Heat gun and scrape off LH ad RH floor pans.  Unpick spot welds on the new cross members for the floor pans.  Sandblast and straighten the cross members
  • Gas axe floor cross members off, disc off flanges and spot welds.  Unpick spot welds along flange on both LH and RH sides.  Hammer and dolly floor pan straight, set car up under lift and use lift to press both floor pans down to normal height
  • Straighten spare wheel well flange and damage to floor of spare wheel flange
  • Unpick spot welds around spare wheel flange, tidy up with discer and straighten.

Had base section cut out to hopefully sell on, if someone can make use of it.

In the past it looked as though a previous owner used the the under floor supports as a jacking point, luckily from the convertible i broke they were in a lot better shape, have stripped metal work, bead blasting and panel work here is the end result for the replacements.  should have taken pictures of the old ones before removed.. now off and preparation work to be done to refit replacements.. happy days.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Both side member floor plates and spare wheel well fitted, progressing nicely and happy with standard or work to-date as I want to ensure the body is top notch before progressing further.

Just waiting for rear panel/spare wheel well mounting plate to arrive from my contact in Holland.  Focus will be next on front panel and battery tray all being well.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Been a while since I've been on the site, quick pic update of progress

Front panel replaced with OEM and correct tin top towing eye etc fitted.

Plus OEM battery tray in place ..

Rear panel mounting plate, ticketed off the to do list!

Rear number plate light section cut out, fabricated and now welded in.

Hole in roof from period b-sting aerial modification in the day now welded up (picture to follow)

OEM tailgate fitted up, wiper unit hole aligned and in place just need to finish off washer jet shaping.

Start made on rear arch with other side also to get done :|

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Looking to start removing under seal over the next couple of months, anyone selling a roll over jig, if so please PM me. Thanks   :)
Plus picked this up from my nos oem parts contact, he's got 35 of them in stock (PM me if interested as could look into group buy), nice classic 70/80's dealer branding for when the cars finished and on the road.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.