Skip navigation

Lhasa Green GTI "Original Vision'"

Back to the top
I bought this GTI 2 years ago after the owner had an '83 Convertible GTi sat on his drive with a for sale sign on and whilst looking over the convertible he mentioned he had a green GTi hard top which was sitting in his workshop for over 10 years (last MOT was back in 1991).  After looking at the Lhasa green Gti a deal was struck immediately and taken to my storage where it has been sat for 2 years (next month).

When I bought it it had a Black Leather Scirocco Storm leather interior which was swapped back for the original interior (luckily he held onto it).  Leather, rear disc conversion, tow bar , 4 branch/performance exhaust, koni height adjustable suspension and zender spoiler where all sold as the aim is to keep it to original specification. Also came with spare door, tailgate and a NOS OEM passenger wing. Pictures of it a couple of days after I had collected it:

Bonnet was quickly replaced with the mint one (which has been tucked away ready for the day it the car has a respray) on my brother-in-laws GX as he was selling his mk1.

Here's how it sat (for 2 years) until recently, the aim is to restore it to original specification.  You'll see as and when I progress a lot of rare NOS OEM parts being used which I have accumulated over the years.

After stripping a rotten GTI a year or so earlier I kept all the metal components for engine ancellaries, brakes etc which have been bead blasted, plated and then powder coated for rebuild.  Suspension & struts rebuilt (pics to follow) and in the process of finishing off the rear beam.

Last edit: by clarksmk1

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
"GTI Drivers' Club" new window badge which will go on car once finished.  Pre-dates "Club GTI"

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
nice looking project you have, and sounds like you have a fine plan for it  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Nice to see your car up Alastair!  :thumbs:

Liking the drivers club sticker, not seen one before!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Removed nearly all of the interior trim at the weekend and here are a few pictures.

Original sound deading all in tact, un cracked after all these years and most likely first time this and carpet has ever been removed from the car.

Little bit of work needed on spare boot well  section, but i have spare to use and weld in replacement section where rust is.

Calling out for a clean!

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Nice find! Looks in fairly good condition too.

Good luck with the restoration :)

1992 Pearl Green Clipper Cab - 16v (9a block, KR head, GSXR600 Carbs) :)

Back to the top
That looks a rather solid shell Alastair!  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Progress made over the last couple of months> Had an early start to-day in preparation for the fuel tank area being prepped ready for fuel tank/ancillaries, rear beam and suspension to hopefully get the car rolling again!

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Ooo new stuff!!  :thumbs:  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Can i ask what springs have you fitted please?
Andy

Back to the top
Nothing at the moment Andy, it's in bits!!

I've got a Bilstein B12 kit waiting to go on though. I wanted to keep it all standard, however, after a lot of digging around and even talking with VW Germany, you can't buy front and rear springs anymore of the GTI spec - I think it's only the rears that you can get - hence the B12.

The kit gets good praise generally and the car used to have Bilstein on which was a nice ride and not too low.  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Been a while since last update and very little progress due to work and family commitments.  Found some time over winter to get engine running which required replacement fuel metering unit, injectors and fuel lines once done fired up engine for first time since I got the car.  Was also able to get the Golf to the welder in between his workload and done some of the welding:

Previously had an after market tow bar bolted on so holes have now been welded up:

Zender spoiler has long gone and the side section screw holes into the quarter panel sorted:

Battery tray replaced:

Also back in 90's previous owner had chrome inner sill strips fitted and drilled into inner sill which have been welded up.  Can you see welder went and welded up the VW holes which I'll have to drill welds out later on.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Made a start on spare wheel well, but as time ran out called a halt as wasn't happy to just weld in a floor section where it had been dented around red primer sections.

Typical when your looking for a replacement spare wheel well none about for sale, but i was able to source one in Germany and get shipped over for no more than I'd have paid for one in UK.

and no they are 'not' my crocks as this it the picture from the seller :lol:Plan is next to get the spot welds drilled out of wheel well, remove mine from the Golf and book in time again with welder to finish off welder work I've identified at this stage:
- replace
- weld hole in roof from b-sting aerial
- replace front panel as after market one had been fitted with a nos OEM one, which is for late cabrio but will do the necessary mods e.g. have correct towing eye fitted etc…
- rear passenger side arch work

- engine/ box removal and full strip down to the shell.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Blimey, where did the time go!!

Welcome back  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Took an opportunity on Friday morning in getting engine out of donor 1800cc gti which has covered just under 76,000miles with history to back it up.  Engine has been well maintained/serviced which means I don't have to go all out on full rebuild route.  Only reason why i'm changing the engine as mine had a replacement early MK2 EV engine fitted at some point and in trying to keep everything original I'm putting in the '83 GLi DX block in the Golf.

Sunday found an hour or so to drag out the two interiors I have in the attic as starting to clear unwanted parts.  Started stripping one down ready for metal work to be cleared up and sent off for powder coating prior to getting the seats fully retrimmed with new material (picture after making start on one seat).

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Can't believe it's been around a year since last post, how time fly's.

Very little progress apart from getting seat frames bead blasted and powder coated.  Then rebuilt with new material and all new lower bolsters.  Will get some pictures up shortly.

Wheels now refurbished by Rim Stock to as near as original spec finish as possible.

:)

Also decided to get a restoration company to deal with welding where required, so hopefully will start making some proper progress as things have been pretty slow by me.  I have still been accumulating some nos parts over the last year though.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top

Back to the top
Quality work! Looks like a great project. 

Where did you manage to source a genuine front panel from? 

Jason 

IMG_2275 1.JPG

Back to the top

jason_gti said

Quality work! Looks like a great project. 

Where did you manage to source a genuine front panel from? 

Jason 

Thanks.  The panel was sourced last year from Holland.  I saw one recently advertised and will try and find the link and PM it over to you.  give me a couple of days.

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Yes please. That would be great. 

IMG_2275 1.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.