Skip navigation

Car cranks but won't start

Back to the top
hi has anyone got any idea please.
My cabby is cranking but it won't fire. It's been sat since 2011. And I want it on the road for the summer. I have put new fuel in. New spark plus in and also got a new battery. What's the best thing to check or what should I do to get her going ? She ran fine before she come off the round back in '11

many thanks

Back to the top
Sounds like it's not fuelling. Maybe try change the fuel filter. Similar problem with mine recently. Just make sure you change the 4 copper washers or it won't seal properly. Last thing you want is a face full of petrol… Believe me!!!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
4 washers ? Where would I find them ? Should I disconnect the fuel line see if it's pumping past the pump

Back to the top
Is the car fuel injection or carb?
if you remove a spark plugs and attach the ht lead and hold them with insulated pliers near the head do they spark?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

veedubjay said

4 washers ? Where would I find them ? Should I disconnect the fuel line see if it's pumping past the pump

Yea worth disconnecting the line either side of the fuel filter to make sure you have pressure both sides of it.
The washers should come with the fuel filter. depending on brand. I think the Bosch ones have them included. If not just pick up a couple from the local motor factors- should only be a few pence.

Back to the top
So fitted a new coil plugs and ht leads still won't fire. Got to check the fuel. But is there anyway to check the spark on your own? Mark1gls is that a bit of a two man job ? Also would basically jump starting the car even though it's a new battery. Just give it the extra power to get her running again?

Back to the top
All I would do is get a bit of fuel,thimble full, into the engine,top of the carb or into the plenum chamber if it's injected,if it it tries to start then you have spark,if not you don't

Back to the top
Can you hear the fuel pump running?

Back to the top
It's carb so I'll try the fuel thing later. And don't know would I hear it on a carb engine ?

Back to the top
So it's a carb, that make things easier, do you know what carb is fitted? A webber will have a manual choke and a Pieburg will have an auto choke.

You should have a fuel filter in the engine bay on the fuel line before the fuel pump (fixed to the front of the engine) Is there any fuel in the fuel filter? The filter is usally clear plastic so you should be able to see in it?
Look like this, you can get them from Euro car parts, GSF and any motor factors.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-T1-T2-T25-CADDY-SCIROCCO-INLINE-FUEL-FILTER-SMALL-TYPE-A131-/190892913154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item2c721ab202

If it's dirty fit a new as it's best to fit a new one each year as they are not expensive. While you have the fuel filter off blow back down the fuel pipe going to the fuel tank (you can do this with your mouth and plenty of puff but don't suck! You should hear bubbling in the fuel tank.

If you remove the air box and cover from the top of the carb you should be able to see into the carb and smell fuel if you have been cracking it over while pumping the throttle.

You could also try removing the pipe from the fuel pump end going to the carb and try turning over the engine but this should spray petrol out so best to get a little bit of hose and spray it in to a jar, if fuel comes out then your pump is working but it still could be at fault if not enough fuel is going through the system but check there is something there as it should fire up still.

How old are the HT leads, Dissy cap and rotor arm?

To test for a spark (do this before pouring any fuel about incase it catches fire!) remove 1 spark plug and fit the HT lead back on, hold it with a pair of insulated pliers on the HT lead, hold the spark plug about 1cm from the engine head and get some one in the car to turn it over while you are holding the spark plug (they will need to keep it turning over, BE VERY CAREFUL holding the spark plug with the insulated pliers as you don't want the spark to jump to you as it not good to have that sort of electric shock!) you should see a spark jumping from the spark plug if not move the spark plug closer to the head if there is no spark when you get to touching the head then that's a problem. Check the next 3 spark plugs to see if they are all working.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Just been out to do the filter thing and found there is no fuel in it. So is it possible that the fuel pump is gone. Is it just the one on the engine or is there a pump in the tank ?

Back to the top
There is only the pump on the front of the engine, looks like this.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf+Cabriolet_1.8_1988/p/car-parts/engine-parts/fuel-and-engine-management/fuel-pump/?339440021&1&13581b988814d2a840305c6b5b60a635c7a44d8e&000148

What year is your car?
If you add it to your profile in a signature like at the bottom of my posts it makes it easier to find out what year and sort of car you drive.

Take the pipe off going from the pump to the to the carb, (I think it's the pipe sticking up in the link?) and turn the car over to see if fuel comes out.
It could also be there is a blockage in the pick up pipe inside the fuel tank which is stopping the fuel getting to the filter so blow down the pipe back to the fuel tank and I would also have a look at that end of the fuel system and look inside the fuel tank for rust and dirt blocking everything, you can get to under the back seat.

Back to the top
Have just ordered a new pump from GSF and some other fuel service parts so I'll strip back what I can to see what I can ( if that makes sense haha) and then replace with new anyway for the cost it's worth it even if it's not what's stopping the fuel getting to the carb

Back to the top
Right so after blowing down the lines I can hear bubbling in the tank so must be clear. Fitted new fuel pump. And hoses from new filter. Noticed that the filter had no fuel in it. After replacing pump. There is now fuel in the filter. So I'm assuming I'm starting to win.
Tried to start car and the car does seem like it's more willing to fire. However. I had smoke coming off from around the starter motor area. Obviously that's not normal. But is this something that's likely to happen as I'm cranking constantly for a few mins ? I haven't touched tampered or changed anything to do with the starter.

Is there a chance this is also knackered ?!

Back to the top
If you been cranking it excessively the starter will get hot,when you fitted the new pump you should connect the inlet and outlet and work the pump by hand till it's filled the filter and carb,failing that give it a shot of petrol directly into the top of the carb,that will save you murdering your starter also

Back to the top
Put your foot on the clutch when starting the car as it will help because you are not turning over the gearbox as well as the engine.

Back to the top
Did you put fresh fuel in the car?
How much old fuel was in the car - Do you have a diluted mix of both and to what ratio?

Lots of people say that fuel goes "off". I've never had a problem, but four years is a long time…

Back to the top
Ladies and gents some good news. I have been quite on here die to work and working on the mk1 but after going through everything everyone suggested.
She runs ! Not only that. She has an MOT (one advisory. Number plate bulbs blown !!not bad !!

Took her in Friday. Then it rained so I ain't been able to use her. Haha.
But thanks all for your help. And see you at the AGM!!  
In the mean time. On with all the other little niggles. Haha

Back to the top
Hi Veedubjay,
can you please detail what you done before your last post to get the car started? Am in a similar situation with my own in that it has been idle for about 3 years and will be ready to begin starting the engine very soon.  Thanks to all previous contributers too for their input regarding the fuel system checks that can be carried out.
Vonsmiggus

Back to the top
Hi. Carried out things as stated above.

Ended up changing the coil. HT leads. And plugs to get a descent new spark. Then pump on a new fuel pump. And battery. With all of this I was able to get the car started. Also although the battery was new I also had my daily connected up to it to give it that boost. That all done with new petrol and oil. Got it running.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.