Skip navigation

Steering rack boot

Back to the top
Cheers mate! Bluebird boot arrived today and it's the right bit - so that answers that! 

Going to put the old track rod end back on to get the car on its feet then bring it up from Anglesey home to Chester and then look at changing the track rod end and get the new spacer machined… 

At least it seems like the mystery is solved on my car though!

Would you recommend the power steering would you? I feel a little gutted I guess knowing that my cars got bluebird parts in it haha… I mean it's not a car I'd ever want! And because I've never driven one without power steering I've got nothing to compare it to really… 

Back to the top
I bought and fitted the tsr kit some years ago, thought it well worthwhile (long gone now though)

Back to the top

E3 RPL said

Cheers mate! Bluebird boot arrived today and it's the right bit - so that answers that! 
Good to hear  :ocf_emoticons__eusa_angel:

E3 RPL said

Would you recommend the power steering would you? I feel a little gutted I guess knowing that my cars got bluebird parts in it haha… I mean it's not a car I'd ever want! And because I've never driven one without power steering I've got nothing to compare it to really…
I wouldn't be without the power steering :ocf_emoticons__eusa_angel: It's on my track car and I used it a little in 2007 without PAS, and then converted it - and it is night and day better.

One thing I did though was source a VW PAS reservoir, which as far as I can tell is the same one VW used on the LHD Cabrios and Scirocco GTX 16vs which were fitted with PAS. It came from a breakers and this one has a vertical drain down to the pump, whereas some are angled. This works perfectly for what seems like the OEM reservoir mounting place.

Source:

Part number appears to be 701 422 373 A

Back to the top
Sweet - cheers guys.

I'd love to know if someone fitted it… Would be ace to find previous owners of the car and get some history.

I can see the car had a lot of tlc a few years back - including a respray etc and all sorts of work done…

But unfortunately it was left to stand outside the last two years and doesn't look like anyone took any care of it since its overhaul… So I'm having to start again.
Just wish I knew a bit more about it really.

Joys of having no history I guess - but I just loved it so much haha!

Back to the top

E3 RPL said

I'd love to know if someone fitted it…

Chris_Eyre said

it was a UK fit by Steering Developments in Hemel who are a Motability dealer.

If it is not TSR, which it doesn't appear to be, it is very likely to have been fitted on site by them.

www.steeringdevelopments.co.uk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.