Skip navigation

MrP's GTI Rivage

Back to the top
Front engine mount and rear engine mount replaced - Turns out the Meyle one supplied previously was a diesel mount, side by side with the replacement from Classic-VW the previous mount was more substantial. Vibrations have gone now!  

1992 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Blue Metallic - Long term project
1991 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Green Pearl - Sold

Back to the top
wow, looks amazing, alot of the things you have done are needed on mine, first stop get the damb thing running :) lol

well done mate!

Alps 1992 Rivage Green, 1991 Rivage Blue (SOLD), 1986 GTI convertible White (SOLD) 

Back to the top

Alps said

wow, looks amazing, alot of the things you have done are needed on mine, first stop get the damb thing running :) lol

well done mate!

Thanks!

It's back in pieces again, had the inlet manifold off to replace all the related gaskets, install a 52mm throttle body, injector seats with seals, x8 injector seals, stripping and cleaning everything. Checking all vacuum pipes, air shroud system the AAV, 5th injector etc etc. Want it running like a dream!

Back to the top
So my previous job list is almost finished! So I've started the cleaning…

Stereo - This is a period early 90's Audioline Headunit. The slide out type (remember those!). It's got 4x50w, a Graphic Equaliser, green illumination so it matches the clocks and an all important Aux output so I can use my phone to play Spotify though a cable. It's absolutely mint and looks like it's never been fitted. I know it's not original VW, but it's period and more usable in this modern age.
IMG_20160514_173916 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

Then I've started on the wheels. They were a bit cloudy from being sat over the winter. 2 hours with a drill and polishing ball and one wheel almost done:
IMG_20160515_160115 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

Back to the top
Nice shiny wheels!
I think the reason most older VW don't have the original radio still fitted is because they was rubbish and most owners upgraded them to something they could use.
Nice to some thing period and different fitted.  :thumbs:  

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Over the weekend, since it was nice and hot I took the Rivage out for a good drive. I went to Bakewell and Matlock, where I covered around 100 miles in total with temperatures pushing 25°C. The car never missed a beat, all fluid temperatures were spot on and the car averaged around 36mpg. Since doing all my work to the car, the engine is very smooth and performs faultlessly.

Took some nice photo's en route - Instagram filtered at the moment, I still need to get the RAW files into lightroom to have a play.

IMG_20160605_183923 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

IMG_20160605_183731 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

IMG_20160605_183442 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

IMG_20160605_183307 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

IMG_20160605_183129 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

IMG_20160605_182921 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

Back to the top
Looks stunning mate - must be one of if not the best Rivage in the UK by now!

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Lovely pictures, I think your GTi badge on the front grill needs to come down one run as mine sits lower than yours?
It just clips off, get your fingers through the grill and lift up the tab on the back, I remove mine to give the grill a good clean so it should come off easily enough.
Picture of how mine sits.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

sportlinecab said

Looks stunning mate - must be one of if not the best Rivage in the UK by now!

Thanks! It's getting there, slowly. I've not updated here for 90% of the stuff I've actually done. I have a huge list with all the little trim bits and stuff.

I'm still very tempted to sell, I'm just not sure if convertibles are for me. I really miss my old Corrado VR6, but on the flip side I've always wanted a Rivage and I know damn well if I'll sell, I won't find another in this condition again, ever. It's not just that either, i've been looking for a few months at alternate cars and I've seen nothing I'd buy or nothing as nice or sorted as this Rivage.  To add, Rivages don't seem to be going for what they were last year, I don't think I'll get what I want.

mark1gls said

Lovely pictures, I think your GTi badge on the front grill needs to come down one run as mine sits lower than yours?
It just clips off, get your fingers through the grill and lift up the tab on the back, I remove mine to give the grill a good clean so it should come off easily enough.
Picture of how mine sits.

I've had a look at this and most Rivages seem to be my position. Also, my grill has a little indentation for the GTi badge. Hmmmm. I do prefer your positioning. Can anyone else confirm what's correct?

Back to the top

MrP said

I've had a look at this and most Rivages seem to be my position. Also, my grill has a little indentation for the GTi badge. Hmmmm. I do prefer your positioning. Can anyone else confirm what's correct?

Yo! Saw the updates on this today… its looking fabulous! Much better than mine is at the moment!

To confirm the badge positioning, i've attached the front photo from the original VW cabriolet brochure.

That's the only picture of the front of the rivage that's in there.

rivage-front.jpg

Guy

91 Rivage project thread < its a slow process but getting there!

Back to the top
That one in the brochure seems to be 1 slat down from mine..... interesting....

Back to the top

mark1gls said

That one in the brochure seems to be 1 slat down from mine….. interesting….

i know…. i thought the same thing!! I will be changing mine!  :lol:

Guy

91 Rivage project thread < its a slow process but getting there!

Back to the top

gfrankland said

mark1gls said

That one in the brochure seems to be 1 slat down from mine….. interesting….

i know…. i thought the same thing!! I will be changing mine!  :lol:

And me! Don't know what to do now!!

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Interesting!

Looks like I need to have a play with my badge.
To be fair, I've been contemplating renewing my badges anyway, perfect excuse!  :lol:  

Back to the top
It's been a while since the last update, and I've done very little to the car. I've decided come spring I'm selling.

I don't use it enough to warrant keeping it, not only for financial reasons but I don't have the time or inclination to continue the love I've given so far. It's time to pass the mantle of caretaker onto someone else.

I'll be prepping for sale in spring as I want the car as best as it can be for the next owner and it needs a few minor things.

On the flip side, I have a new daily.:

20161126_161203 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

3.0 Straght Six Turbo. 345bhp and 500nm!  :wub:

Back to the top

MrP's GTI Rivage

Shame you're selling up but wow, that's a beast!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Shame you're selling up but wow, that's a beast!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is indeed. I was walking around the car last night wondering what I was thinking. Needs and musts. It's money just sat there.

The BMW is awesome, though!  :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.