Skip navigation

Mk1 Campaign rebuild

Back to the top

jakethepeg007 said

When restoring a couple of motorbikes I've used bicarbonate of soda in a Schultz gun for cleaning up aluminium and blasting the brown rust out of steel, is really gentle on the surface and doesn't cause any damage

Keep up the good work :thumbs:

Thanks jakethepeg007 Ill keep that in mind

Back to the top
Photo 23-08-2021, 19 09 49.jpg Photo 23-08-2021, 19 09 53.jpg

Abit of mucking about on the homemade dolly to get the shell sitting nice and safe and eventually the rear beam is off with studs still in place bonus!!

Back to the top
Photo 26-07-2021, 19 09 25.jpg

Only picture I seem to have to of the wooden frame but gets the car up nice and high and lets me move it about VERY HANDY!

Back to the top
Lovely pile of rust you've got there! Must admit, I'm glad I'm well past the rusty parts stage. Keep at it!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

Lovely pile of rust you've got there! Must admit, I'm glad I'm well past the rusty parts stage. Keep at it!

I know mate, good thing is this is the most equipped and driest place its been so allows me to just pick away which is good

Back to the top
IMG_9434.jpg IMG_9436.jpg

Deciding against the full tub replacement so cut the strut housing out today to see how bad it was behind

Back to the top

Mk1 Campaign rebuild

Well done again Dave and great work to date. Ordered 5kg tub of the Bilt Hamber Deox gel off your recommendation in prep for my next project.

Watching with interest how you manage to repair the wheel tubs. If I can help with photos of the nos tubs i have for mine just let me know mate!

Ah a fellow Celt then up in Scotland, great stuff, keep it going matey, thumbs up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Hef355 said

Well done again Dave and great work to date. Ordered 5kg tub of the Bilt Hamber Deox gel off your recommendation in prep for my next project.

Watching with interest how you manage to repair the wheel tubs. If I can help with photos of the nos tubs i have for mine just let me know mate!

Ah a fellow Celt then up in Scotland, great stuff, keep it going matey, thumbs up

The gel is good but you need to work with it, you should order the crystals they are amazing, make a bath and just leave stuff soaking in it ill get a pic when i go back out to the garage

Back to the top

Mk1 Campaign rebuild

Cheers! Yes my mate Rich. who is also commenting on your thread told me about them too

Back to the top

000dave000 said

Hef355 said

The gel is good but you need to work with it, you should order the crystals they are amazing, make a bath and just leave stuff soaking in it ill get a pic when i go back out to the garage

Yeah, I used the gel on rust behind my VW badge on the mk2 but it took quite a few goes to get it all out even after grinding/sanding out as much as I could..

Back to the top
A spare few hours tonight took some stuff out the crystal bath and started on cleaning them up

IMG_9556.jpg IMG_9557.jpg IMG_9558.jpg

Back to the top

000dave000 said

A spare few hours tonight took some stuff out the crystal bath and started on cleaning them up

IMG_9556.jpg IMG_9557.jpg IMG_9558.jpg

Wow well impressed with that!! I've used the Bilt Hamber gel before but never got on with it. Took a number of attempts to get the results I was looking for. 

Crystals you say? Need to get myself some 😁

Back to the top
Nath&alex   its good for making a wee bucket throwing stuff in and forgetting about it

Back to the top
IMG_0426.jpg IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0430.jpg IMG_0434.jpg

Fuel filler surround in place while I have covid, bit of a nightmare but its done now at least, skim it once the weather starts to get better

Back to the top
IMG_1413.jpg

Starter and alternator off , any hints got getting those flathead screws out O_o

Back to the top
To what end? They hold the magnets in place, unless you really want  it down to its individual parts, I'd leave them be. You can get to all the bits you need to refurb (brushes and commutator ring, brass bush) without taking them out. I got mine to a very tidy state with out taking them out. If you do decide to remove them, I'd take everything else out first or the magnet will stick the coil and you'll likely get the whole thing stuck.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

To what end? They hold the magnets in place, unless you really want  it down to its individual parts, I'd leave them be. You can get to all the bits you need to refurb (brushes and commutator ring, brass bush) without taking them out. I got mine to a very tidy state with out taking them out. If you do decide to remove them, I'd take everything else out first or the magnet will stick the coil and you'll likely get the whole thing stuck.

Now that answers my question didn't know if these needed to be removed or not 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.