Skip navigation

Mk1 Campaign rebuild

Back to the top
Thanks Hef355 its a slow process but its good to have it in the back garden now so i can grab a couple of hours here or there

Back to the top
IMG_5049.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG

Took some time off the engine bay for a change, tailgate taken off which i do have an immaculate painted spare to replace with but think Ill store this somewhere just incase. Wheel arches have some bodged repairs on them so will need to tackle them at some point

Back to the top

Mk1 Campaign rebuild

Great work mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

Decided to cut the arches to have a look at the inner wheel arch and see how much of it is worth saving but i think its going to be a full new section

Back to the top
I was in this situation with my old Gti and due to all the intricate angles and pieces I required I just opted to replace the wheel tub in full.

Keep up the good work and progress  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Mk1 Campaign rebuild

Yep I agree with Rich, i’m starting soon on my silver campaign resto and already have new wheel tubs to fit!

Back to the top
totally agree guys, had a look for tubs but they seem a bit scarce

Back to the top
Rear window out with a battle , both sides out no bother , get to the front and hardly start and ping!

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

Back to the top

Mk1 Campaign rebuild

Ahhh bloody shame matey! Had my 2 last ones out no bother but last one went ping for me too

Back to the top
75D523BB-BB29-4E87-961D-A86F08264E02.jpeg 7E6B90E6-ACA9-439E-9936-015A1A3E1E9D.jpeg
Another little bit cleaned up but how the hell do you get corrosion off that aluminium block feel like I've been rubbing it down for hours 

Back to the top

000dave000 said

75D523BB-BB29-4E87-961D-A86F08264E02.jpeg 7E6B90E6-ACA9-439E-9936-015A1A3E1E9D.jpeg
Another little bit cleaned up but how the hell do you get corrosion off that aluminium block feel like I've been rubbing it down for hours 

Looking good, I feel for you with aluminium. I've cleaned up a couple of gearboxes and they take ages if they are oxidised. I've used Frost Ali clean before with good results https://www.frost.co.uk/frost-ali-clean-alloy-aluminium-castings-cleaner otherwise lots of graft or vapour honing/ blasting for best results :)

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
This has to be my favourite project thread here. A real life story of a man trying to find time to get his car finished! Nice to see you haven't fully stripped and abandoned it like so many do.  I'm starting into mine again now and have a plan to tackle in managable sections

Back to the top
Thanks Rich. Ill look into that!   RustyCampaign Ive always wondered how much interest people take in some of my posts so gives me  a boost to keep uploading the photos and picking away so thanks for looking in

Back to the top
21.jpg 30.jpg 32.jpg

Few items dunked in the old Bilt hamber

Back to the top
14.jpg 15.jpg 19.jpg 23.jpg

Back panel tried up to see how good a fit it actually is, chassis leg to sort next  :o

Back to the top

Mk1 Campaign rebuild

000dave000

Watching this with real interest Dave as i’ll be starting my own silver Campaign & Lsaha green build soon! Great work and keep the pics going for sure!! Where are you based mate? I’m up in Anglesey, North Wales

Rich.
That’s another interesting tip for Ali cleaning! You are indeed a wealth of knowledge and a great help to me and im sure this forum too

RustyCampaign
Also look forward to seeing another Campaign being saved! What colour is yours buddy?

Back to the top

Hef355 said

RustyCampaign
Also look forward to seeing another Campaign being saved! What colour is yours buddy?

Lhasa Green. I started a thread a while back in the project section, will post more as i get going. Don't want to hijack this thread

Dave's build is giving me the inspiration I need to be confident that I'll get time to do it outside of real life stuff  :lol:

Back to the top

Hef355 said

000dave000

Watching this with real interest Dave as i’ll be starting my own silver Campaign & Lsaha green build soon! Great work and keep the pics going for sure!! Where are you based mate? I’m up in Anglesey, North Wales

Rich.
That’s another interesting tip for Ali cleaning! You are indeed a wealth of knowledge and a great help to me and im sure this forum too

RustyCampaign

sorry for the delay mate, west of scotland near loch lomond

Back to the top
Photo 26-07-2021, 19 09 22.jpg Photo 26-07-2021, 19 09 24.jpg Photo 26-07-2021, 19 09 25.jpg Photo 26-07-2021, 19 09 28.jpg

Few things stripped off the of the car today also tried the axle nuts on 1 side and seem to be the only thing on the car thats not seized with rust!

Back to the top
When restoring a couple of motorbikes I've used bicarbonate of soda in a Schultz gun for cleaning up aluminium and blasting the brown rust out of steel, is really gentle on the surface and doesn't cause any damage

Keep up the good work :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.