Skip navigation

The 1993 Clipper cabio I didnt know I wanted. It found me.

Back to the top
Congrats on the MOT mate  :thumbs:

Speaker grills much better, you have the bug now :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
 :lol: Dont mention the Bug. Thats my wifes and its been an ongoing full resto for 4 years now :|

Put some more miles on the Golf, seems to be running nice when warm but misses a bit when cold. Runs a bit lumpy, feels like a slight missfire and the revs climb and drop at idle.

Spent some time getting some more of the little jobs done.

The glove box was the subject of my attention on Sunday. It looked ok from the outside;

The problems were obvious when you lifted the lid;

No spring, broken hinge and this;

The right hand hinge mount to the dash was destroyed.

My repair consisted of making a patch from another bit of plastic glued in place with araldite to spread the stress of the mounting screws;

I will paint it later but as you can see, with the spring in place the glove box lid now works as it should and holds itself open.

Other jobs completed;

Boot lock seal replaced.
Leaking roof ram joint repaired.
Boot lining panels remounted.
K seal added to stop a small leak around the top radiator mount.
Bonnet release mounted properly.

While under the bonnet I spotted these plugs hanging loose. Anybody know what they are and where they should go?

Dave.

Back to the top
Nice car love an L reg mk1.   

What did you use to clean the door cards out of interest? 

Cheers Jez

Work on my Clipper

Back to the top
I found an Auto Express article reviewing car upholstery cleaners and Halfords own brand came out top so I bought a trigger bottle of that for £3.99.

Could probably do with scrubbing them again to get out the last of the stubborn stains but it did ok on the first pass.

Back to the top
Some more tinkering and ebaying results.

The CD player in the car is an aftermarket one disc at a time job that jumps so I had a look for a stereo that takes an SD card.

For the princely sum of £15.48 I bagged this;

Radio, SD card slot, Aux input, USB connection and remote control.

Problem is it has a 12 pin plug on the back and the car has ISO connectors and I couldnt get an off the shelf adapter anywhere so I had to start with 2 looms;

Some of this;

Resulted in this Frankenstein monster of a loom;

Fitted to the car and guess what………. stereo dosnt work properly so submitted a replacement request with the seller.

I should have known that for that price it may not be top quality and with the phrase "you here for a good time not a long time" on the box I wasnt expecting it to last very well. I will see if they replace the unit.

Worse news was to come however.

Turns out my Mrs likes driving it O_o  so guess its noy "my" car anymore;

Dave.

Back to the top
Good work !    I'll hopefully have my clipper out this weekend after a few years off the road.  

Work on my Clipper

Back to the top
Good progress Dave, I bet it was good to be driving it. Shame that the missus has 'found' it, you'll have to buy another one!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Or get her Beetle finished Hairyarse.

Been getting on with some more bits and bobs this weekend.

Gave the paintwork a cut with G6 and a polisher before a wax, really helped the shine and with a touch up paint I tackled a few of the chips and scratches but this car must have been caught in a fairy gunfight cos its covered in stone chips.

Also replaces the tired looking vacuum hoses in the engine bay from this;

To this;

Dug out an old bike rack I had in the shed to try;

Fits ok but the flaw is the size of the car in relation to the bike;

Hmm, some more thinking about this. Dosnt stick out the side too much but still not ideal;

And then possibly my favorite addition so far;

https://youtu.be/pZn2Z9PGpEg

So easily pleased.

Dave.

Back to the top
Haha brilliant, love the video!  :lol:  :cool:  :thumbs:

Good call to replace the vacuum hoses, they really had seen better days!

Have you checked the timing on your Golf? The vacuum thing on the dizzy is usually more at a 4 O'clock position from memory when looking down on it.

If it's way out you'd know, but it may be worth having it double checked ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers mate, once I find my timing gun I will give it a check but as its running fine just now it cant be too far off.

On a Beetle the position of the dizzy is critical as there is a retard built in for number 3 cylinder to aid its cooling but I dont imagine the Golf will be a sensitive?

Not done a lot to the car in the past week apart from change the stereo again for a £25 bluetooth job from Aldi's.

I had the wheels ballanced up as I was getting a shimmy at speed.

There is a slight fluid leak on the n/s roof ram. Not sure if its the ram or the pipe connection. Looks like it could be costly whatever and a bottle of fluid and kitchen roll is cheap so while its still working I will leave it alone for now.

Speaking of roof's, its going in on Sunday for a new headliner and black mohair outer.

Dave.

Back to the top
Most likely to be a fluid leak from the pipe union, the rams are generally pretty reliable.

I've had it on a few - just remove the union, clean the thread up and stick some PTFE tape on - hopefully that sorts it ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Not had any updates recently for one big reason…… The car has been away getting its new roof.

One of the reasons the car had been garaged before I got hold of it was the damage to the roof, some from age and the big patch over the slash that happened within months of the last roof replacement that went right through the inner liner and head liner;

And now replaced with sexy mohair and a new headliner;

It looks great, it fits great and no noise on the motorway but the power roof needs a little "assist" when its lifting due to its age and the extra weight of the new cover.

If anybody in Scotland needs their roof done I highly recommend Trimline in Broxburn.

Dave.

Back to the top
Amazing transformation Dave.

If it's factory fit roof pump it shouldn't struggle to lift the roof. Does it need new fluid or just bleeding?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I think the hinges on the roof that sit over the front windows are worn and have play in them. With the vinyl roof on the car there was a jerk when these hinges finally started folding but I think with the extra weight/new roof fitted these hinges are locking slightly and tripping out the safety fuse that stops the roof retracting when its clipped in place above the screen.

Its hard to explain but it goes back fine with a little push upwards.

I only got back at 9pm last night so not properly investigated yet.

Back to the top
The roof now goes up and down near enough as it should but while looking everything over I cant help thinking this isn't right (click the pic for video);

Thats with the key in the ignition but nobody pressing the button, just the movement of the relay activating the pump.

I also noticed the oil light had a faint glow with the ignition off for a while but that seems to have gone for now.

My Golf is possessed.

Back to the top
Not updated the thread for a while for a couple of reasons.

1, The weather has been terrible so not really been out and about in the car.

2, Not really done much to the car.

Still seems to be running well, no major breakages or failures to report.

The previous owner contacted me last weekend to pass on the 3 original wheels he had for the car (dont know what happened to the fourth) so I went and collected them and it has left me wondering if I should sell them on or find a fourth and fit the original steels back on?

Pro's;
the 5 spokes are not really my thing.
the width of them throws dirt up the doors.

Cons;
the steels will need painted
the steels will need new tyres

So we will see where that idea goes in time.

I have all the steel, brackets and parts to construct my bike rack idea but need a few days where its not raining before I can get on with building it, hopefully summer will arrive soon.

Dave.

Back to the top
Nice dilemma to have, was decent of the previous owner to contact you about them

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Still not decided on the wheels. I think I would prefer the steels but as that would require spending money I am holding off for now.

Not done much to the car but did work on something that for me was essential.

I need a way of transporting my bike and if you have read through the full thread you will remember the problem with using an off the shelf bike carrier;

So I pulled all the bike racks that seem to be breeding in my shed to come up with a plan;

Decided the best place to start was with the shop bought boot rack;

Then using the roof rails I welded up a frame to let me mount them across the forks on the boot rack and got this;

Holds the bike firmly and even with two bikes on it the number plate and rear lights are still visable to following cars;

No interference with the roof either;

Still got some tidying and a coat of paint to give it but at least I can now take the bikes with me for a run.

With that done and the sun out this evening it was time to go for a cruise in the hills;

clipper sun august 2015 10 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

clipper sun august 2015 16 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

clipper sun august 2015 25 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

clipper sun august 2015 20 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Few weeks holiday coming up so planning a cam belt change and service and maybe try and get the gear linkage working a bit smoother.

Dave.

Back to the top
Nice work on the bike rack there  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
 Bike rack got its first full test on Sunday with both bikes on the back we headed for Loch Lomond for a cycle and all was good, even at 70mph on the M8.

Ticked off one of my maintenance jobs as well with an oil change;

Oil change by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Might have had some spillage to burn off the exhaust fannymould;

Dave
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.