Skip navigation

Regrettably now for sale, Stanley the 83' Golf C - Bare Metal restoration (with an ABF on twin 45's) - Pic Happy

Back to the top

Stanley's build thread

ned_h said

Nice project :thumbs:I noticed you still have the wiper motor mount, if you wanted to remove this you can use a mk2 or mk3 golf wiper motor which wouldn't need that mount, still works fine only being mounted to the mechanism, but plug/wires do need splicing to mk1 loom as plug is different

Yeah i've got a mk2 and 2 mk3 motors at home haha.

Also seen this at a show and quiet liked the idea. 

image.png

Back to the top
Well the MK1's project has gone on hold for a few weeks while some work is done to my mates VR6 Corrado (inc rust treatment, new panels and a repaint). So we cleaned up, and repainted my garage and decided to build a spray booth and hence i cannot access my golf. (how good a mate am i?)

In the meantime, i think i shall start to rebuild the ABF that will be going back in.  I shall try to get some pictures along the way. I'll probably need to so that i know everything goes back in its correct place. =]

Majoritively this thing is just dirty due to shitty rocker cover gasket that the prev owner never changed and leaked everywhere over a loong period.

But here it is at this moment.

Oily aint it!!

watch this space. more coming soon. (I Hope) =]

Back to the top
So some new parts turned up a couple of days ago Courtesy of Mark Carter at Classic-VW some new bumpers, irons and end caps turned up. Over the moon with them, just need to paint them and get some rubber bump strips to complete.

I have also ordered some lovely shiny fitting bolts to put them all together as below.

Excited to start collecting more parts. =]

Blasting shell in the next few weeks, that'll be the next main update. =]

Back to the top
So this week there has been some serious progress finally getting underway.

I have had a proper clear out of the garage and have regained decent access and started up again on Stanley's build.

I booked in with a local media blasting guy to give me some serious incentive for progress. The shell is going in this Friday 29 May for a full blast inside and out including engine bay, The only bits not getting blasted are roof from inside, front footwell's where the original sound deadening patches are there and the underside of the car/rear tubs as I have yet to remove the seamsealer/underseal off them.

I'm getting very excited now to get sh*t done and its gonne be a fast pace the next few months. If possible I'd like to see all the welding done and in paint by the end of the year!

I will say that removing underseal is definitely one of the worst jobs I have ever had to do on a car!! long and slow and sticky if you try to heat it up. but will be soo worth it once its done!! The scuttle sound deadening patches werent quiet as bad but still took about an hour to strip both sides.

Few more pictures below showing recent update, more damage views and finishing off with how he is sitting now.

Watch this space. More updates soon.

Back to the top
So Stanley is back from the Blasters (fine glass grit) and it has revealed a few areas that need attention that i wasn't aware of but mostly he is in a really good shape!

Really happy i chose to do this, My list of bits is now a little longer but it means that nothing will be missed and all will be perfect when i am done.

Few pics below of how he looks now.

Now we are in process of building a new spray booth, timber framed and built to last.

More coming soon (hopefully)

Back to the top
I think this is a very exciting stage in a restoration. The shell is now like a blank canvas. You now know all the bad bits and can plan the way forward. Good luck  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Wish I had the balls and skills to do a resto like this. It's going to be great!

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Looking good, definitely got your work cut out, hope it turns out alright!

Back to the top
Times are tough at the monent cash wise and completing this in the next couple of years doesnt look possible.

What would people recon this would be worth? With bare metal s1 bumpers, abf stripped ready to be rebuild, gearbox to suit with wiring loon for both. Sills and rear arches to be welded on, shell has been blasted and is ready to work on. Pretty much everything that came off. 

Tis a tough decision but i think this could be my only choice.

Back to the top
do anything you can to keep it. bailing now will only be a massive loss..  work out what its cost you and if you cant get at least that for it then selling it is not an option.
cost of the cars, tools, materials, collection/del everything involved.  and what will you get for it as a stripped back bare shell needing a full resto?    i really hope you dont sell it bud fingers crossed you can sort finances another way.

1983 mk1 gti white bought as a daily now in pieces.. 

Back to the top

Stanley the 83' Golf C - Bare Metal restoration (with an ABF on twin 45's) - Pic Happy

The last 3 stripped shells i have brought have cost no more than £225 each. If thats any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
i looked into buying a new shell when i found all the rust on mine and i was offered 2 different ones in better condition than this for less than £500 each.

1983 mk1 gti white bought as a daily now in pieces.. 

Back to the top
If you sell and if you really have to sell.
You know that all the time and money you've spent have gone.  :dry:

Don't mean to sound mean mate but you've just got parts left, that you need to sell and maybe in a hurry.

I hope not but that's the facts so if you can find a way to hold on a little longer, it's got to be the way forward.  :thumbs:

Mind you I've been their back in the 80's with MG's and others but failed miserably so almost had to give them away!

Can you just put the whole project on hold and store it until the right time comes that you can move forward with it?  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Now regrettably for sale, personal reasons now force sale so all needs to go, if there's anything anyone wants please message me.

Back to the top
Do you want sell old injectors and rail and 1/4 manfould.   Want change mine to electronic injectors

Back to the top
All old engine bits are gone i'm afraid, only have the abf engine bits soz

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.