Skip navigation

Regrettably now for sale, Stanley the 83' Golf C - Bare Metal restoration (with an ABF on twin 45's) - Pic Happy

Back to the top

Stanley's build thread

Scrap that last comment.

Commitment is back and i have just yesterday gone and bought my donor engine, along with a whole car.

Its runs well and is pretty tidy, only issue was a clutch but i'm gonna rebuild it regardless.

Sounds raspy and very nice with the ramair induction and the full stainless jetex exhaust system on it.

Now to get it stripped and break as much as i can, besides the bits i need.

I had originally thought of the twin weber route but i think i'm going to stick to the standard management with a bay tuck to start with then maybe upgrade at a later date if i change my mind. The way i see it carbs sound nice but i want a reliable usable car and think the standard abf management with some decent cams and a full custom system should be more than enough for an 800kg car. Seen plenty of threads where little mods along with a remap comfortably make 170-180bhp.

now to start collecting body parts, sills, rear arches, fuel filler surround and pipe. abf engine mount kit. etc…

though first i think i need to arrange to get the mk1 shot blasted to see what the overall damage is, at least then i can start pricing up repair costs. =]

Onwards and Upwards.

Back to the top
Glad you have "found the love for your mk1" and carrying on with the project, it is hard when the car looks a mess and there is lots to do but it will be worth it in the end when you get it MOTed and drive it, keep at.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Glad you have "found the love for your mk1" and carrying on with the project, it is hard when the car looks a mess and there is lots to do but it will be worth it in the end when you get it MOTed and drive it, keep at.  :thumbs:

cheers mate, i'm super stoked to get going on it now! already pricing up to split the mk3, engine and loom are obvious keepers, possibly the seats but not sure yet and thinking about using the brake setups for all round, if i can modify them for 4x100 or even upgrade to 5x100 all round. food for thought.

everything else must go. =]

Back to the top
So this weekend i begun to strip the MK3 that i purchased for a measley £370, so far made £120 back on parts which is already a 3rd of the car and only spent a day taking bits off, still loads to sell!

here is how it is now.

I think i may have found a blasting place ready to get it done early next year when his workshop is all up and running. £450, whole exterior of car avoiding the roof. Dont want to touch the inside, i'll just colour sand that ready for paint as thats pretty clean No rust internally at all! =]

Once thats done i can look to fully rebuild the engine. Excited now!

Also managed to pick myself up this lovely mk1 gti wheel which i will be putting on the finished project. at a bargain of £35. Cant complain with a deal like that.

More coming soon. =]

Last edit: by Gazza_VWmk1

Back to the top
looked fab on the bullett 60s

Back to the top
So i'm getting there slowly with the engine coming out. Still a fair bit to tackle before i'm done though. Every bolt so far has been stubborn or rusty, now i understand why they say the mk3's are rust buckets. Both wings were rusted through about 8 inches from the bottom, so they won't be selling. gonna be grinding half of the leftover bits off at this rate.

Managed to get the drive shafts off the gearbox and fully removed the hub passenger side but driver side ball joint will not split off. Calipers are off the front, will have to get the backs off soon.

Exhaust bolts decided to give me grief and my tool jumped and i punched the car, i'm sure we've all done it, this one cut pretty deep. but thats the joy of working on cars i guess!

got the loom off the front of the engine ready to take off just one plug connected to the gearbox i havent yet got, but need to get the linkage disconnected before that will come off.

and managed to get the inlet manifold off so i have a clear path to lift the engine when it comes to it. Now i just have to source a crane, although a pulley off the z beam holding the garage roof up is a tempting option. I manage to of parked it perfect to do this if so.

Below are some more pics of the current state.

Oh its very oily. looking forward to cleaning it up.

Once its out i'm shifting or at least putting aside as much as i think i'll sell and the shell will be gone and out of my way!

Back to the top
So engine 2 is finally out and started to strip it ready to put it up on a stand and rebuild it.

Progress again! :) 

image.jpeg

Next job get the shell to be shot blasted :)

Back to the top
So this week i plan to get rid of the mk3, abf is up on the stand ready to clean up and rebuild and have decided to repaint the garage floor to spruce it up a bit.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A buddy will be using my garage to make a spray booth and paint his rado shortly so gonna start collectig parts in the meantime, exciting stuff.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
when you hoping to have this done mate?

Back to the top

browner01 said

when you hoping to have this done mate?

i'd like to say show ready by Spring 2017 but depends on how the next few months go. once the shell has had the rust treated and paint in i cant see it taking me too much longer. Got engine (which needs a rebuild, all i got to buy now major parts wise is exhaust system, suspension and bias pedal box. oh and i guess some wheels haha!!

Still deciding whether to carb (twin weber 45 / gsxr / zx9r's) it or just leave it standard management. see how much money i have left once rust is treated and its all painted and shiny haha.

Back to the top
Nice to see the original front panel in its factory condition with its two correct plates and the middle supports painted black.
http://

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

volkswarren said

Nice to see the original front panel in its factory condition with its two correct plates and the middle supports painted black.
http://

haha dont think theyre painted just dirty if i remember rightly, still had the barcode on it though. and the al important VW stamp at the bottom of the panel as it is still genuine =] haha

Back to the top
You might be surprised, the middle two supports were always black paint when i used to work on them years ago,  when you get a minute take a closer look, no one seems to put this back on when restoring them.  :thumbs:

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

volkswarren said

You might be surprised, the middle two supports were always black paint when i used to work on them years ago,  when you get a minute take a closer look, no one seems to put this back on when restoring them.  :thumbs:

i will check that out. makes sense so you dont see it through the grille =]

besides lowering the hell out of it and changing the engine, getting small metal bumpers and wheels i want to keep it as standard appearance as possible. got myself some opening quarters to rebuild and a 4 button gti wheel but otherwise most of the appearance will be the same.

Back to the top
My 1st Golf was a Golf N, 1981 Same colour as this one. Loved it. then i had a transit take the front off, he pulled out a side road straight across a dual carrigeway in front of me, no servo and 1.1 brakes lol! i worked in a body shop at the time, had a health £1500 insurance payout + the Salvage, then My Bro rolled a GTI! so needless to say when my MK1 reappeared from the Body shop it was a 1.6 GTi, id swapped everything from the GTi i could onto the 1.1  Good luck with it  :thumbs:  

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top

volkswarren said

My 1st Golf was a Golf N, 1981 Same colour as this one. Loved it. then i had a transit take the front off, he pulled out a side road straight across a dual carrigeway in front of me, no servo and 1.1 brakes lol! i worked in a body shop at the time, had a health £1500 insurance payout + the Salvage, then My Bro rolled a GTI! so needless to say when my MK1 reappeared from the Body shop it was a 1.6 GTi, id swapped everything from the GTi i could onto the 1.1  Good luck with it  :thumbs:  

yeah this was a 1.1 and even with the servo felt like i was seriously working to get the car to slow even a little bit. looking at going bias pedal box just gotta work out what i need to buy Master cylinder sizes etc. gonna be work to figure out but will look and feel much better. even if i have to press hard still at least i know it will work! haha

Back to the top
Annd the mk3 is gone! Now to properly get on with the mk1! Started while waiting for the scrap man by gettin the remaining of my scuttle out so all thats left engine bay now is filling holes and moving an engine mount then paint :) image.jpeg

And the scuttle now..  or lack of… =]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back to the top

83' Golf C conversion (Bay Tuck - Carbed ABF plans)

You might need to add an expansion tank bracket to the passenger side turret, unless you are planing on a top fill rad.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top

volkswarren said

You might need to add an expansion tank bracket to the passenger side turret, unless you are planing on a top fill rad.

Yeah i'm planning to have as little in the bay as i can, top fill rad, wire tuck, bias pedal box and brake pipe tuck, washer bottle and battery in the boot etc.

At least thats the plan haha. =]

Back to the top
Nice project :thumbs:I noticed you still have the wiper motor mount, if you wanted to remove this you can use a mk2 or mk3 golf wiper motor which wouldn't need that mount, still works fine only being mounted to the mechanism, but plug/wires do need splicing to mk1 loom as plug is different

'83 formel e
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.