Skip navigation

Daily - VW Golf '77 GLS

Back to the top

My first Mk1, still living the honey moon period...

It is always a nightmare to get a garage to meet a target, particularly when you have agreed a price (£0000s)

With large jobs like this, the garage does not get a lot of cash flow with the final bill being paid for at the end of the process, and smaller jobs get pushed in front to keep the cash flowing.

My own experience with getting the paint done took a similar turn, I wanted to get the respray done in 7-8 weeks so I could assemble before the AGM in 2014.

The car was collected in the first week of June, I did not get the car back until the December!. With hindsight it was a big ask, but did allow me to refurbish other components, trim, bumpers etc. whilst the car was away.

Some weeks there was not a lot of progress and the car gathered dust. A few serious discussions gave me the confidence that it would be done but not in the time frame originally requested.

After all I had done my search to find the appropriate garage to do the job. I had seen examples of their previous work and the work being done on other cars as well during my cars process.

So on a positive note, I have no complaints, if you look at my blog, the progress was made, apart from a small correction to some of my welding, no negatives comments from them about my work over the previous seven years or so.

I was impressed with their work and achieved a good result.

I am sure that with some patience and a good garage you will be able to achieve a required result.

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
Malcolm that is a credit to you, such a nice mk1.

The car went in for welding yesterday morning after being trailered from my moms garden under tarp. I'm hoping to have a garage by the time all the welding has been completed/ corrected so I can then strip her down and save for paint.

Lee H '77 GLS, 5 door, bronze // Trek  X-Caliber 5

Back to the top

Back to the top
Sorry to hear about the body shop problems.

Its always seems difficult to find a decent bodyshop. I have a mate who owns a bodyshop, and has done some brilliant work, but I just have to be flexible on time, as already said its the quick turnaround and insurance work what pays the bills every month. He fits in my bits as and when. But most importantly he doesn't lie about progress, being honest is the best way, they should have told you the truth even if they were letting you down progress wise.

Keep with it though, and keep us updated :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.