Skip navigation

Sifty's GTI "It's not a restoration" project...

Back to the top
Hi Martin,

Thanks. I will have owned this car for 4 years next week. :)I'm in North West Auckland - Helensville.  There aren't enough of us Mk1 owners here to have our own club, but there are a few of us in the VASK club - www.VASK.org.nz or VASK on facebook, or @vasknz on instagram.

Have you bought yourself a Mk1 here yet? There have been a couple of nice Cabbies for sale lately.

Back to the top
Hi sifty
I have shipped mine from the UK and went through the certification bs you guys have here,and have now got my car rego d and warranted.
Thankfully my car had been fully restored so there wasn't much they could pick up on even though they still made it painfully hard .  Would be nice to meet up at some point as is always good to know mk1 friendly garages or places for parts I have a few already but would be good to meet up.  
Regards.
Martin

Back to the top

sifty said

Hi Martin,

Thanks. I will have owned this car for 4 years next week. :)I'm in North West Auckland - Helensville.  There aren't enough of us Mk1 owners here to have our own club, but there are a few of us in the VASK club - www.VASK.org.nz or VASK on facebook, or @vasknz on instagram.

Have you bought yourself a Mk1 here yet? There have been a couple of nice Cabbies for sale lately.

Hi Sifty,

I'm from Belgium, my brother and I are almost done restoring our Golf mk1 1.1 from 1980.
If you got time, you can watch our build thread here on the forum.

Back to the top

Marts v dub said

Hi sifty
I have shipped mine from the UK and went through the certification bs you guys have here,and have now got my car rego d and warranted.

That is fantastic! I'd love to see it.
Keep an eye on the VASK events page for the next meetup. I don't think there will be another until the new year though.

Back to the top

Marts v dub said

would be good to meet up.  
Regards.
Martin

Hey Martin,

Great to see your car in the flesh at the Spring Jamboree a few weeks back!
(I was the bearded guy driving my wife's white cabriolet)

Back to the top
Hi sifty oh bearded guy. Really nice chatting the other week I thought it was a really good turn out and some nice cars, I had a good day and to my surprise I won best car between 79 and 93 so stoked to be honest.
I hope all goes well with your car and hopefully catch up on the next Vask meet.
Regards
Martin.

Back to the top
Looking really clean! Nice to see Mk1s still in good condition all around the globe.

Back to the top
Funny story there! :lol:

Here's what it looks like now: 2016-09-30 19.16.28.jpg

Back to the top
It turns out my painter/panel beater made a couple of serious cockups…

The short version is: I have to do it ALL over again…  :'(

Back to the top

sifty said

It turns out my painter/panel beater made a couple of serious cockups…

:o

Back to the top
Update!

The parts fairy delivers!

Back to the top
I must admit to being intrigued with this one.

What the hell would you do if it was a resto!?  O_o

Lovin it, shame about the orginal painter, looked good from the pics. What was wrong with it?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The last panel beater made a couple of big mistakes and either one on it's own was going to require a respray.
1. He didn't prep the bare metal properly, so rust started coming up under the paint after about 2 months.
2. He over sanded the primer and/or left it to dry too long before applying the top coat, so the top coat wasn't really stuck to the car.

So this time around we've sandblasted back to bare, acid etched, epoxy primered, filled, painted. 

Back to the top
Paint looks superb, you must have a big grin on your face  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top
The grin is starting to grow.

I bought it home on the weekend.

Back to the top
It's actually looking pretty good now. 2017-03-20 17.25.04.jpg 2017-03-21 09.28.51.jpg 2017-03-21 10.26.12.jpg

Back to the top
I totally forgot to post photos of the reassembly, I have plenty if anyone is interested.

The next project is building up a 2.0 Callaway Turbo engine for it.

2017-03-25 11.36.50.jpg 2017-04-26 12.30.57.jpg 2017-06-13 09.07.57.jpg 2017-06-21 16.39.01.jpg

Back to the top
New shoes 2017-09-07 16.13.42-1.jpg

Back to the top
Very nice  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
It's been a while, so here's a bit of an update.
I got some H&R twin tube coilovers to give some freedom to change heights. I had the H&R Cup already. To be fair the Cup setup rides better.
But the coils let me do this:  Jambo 2017 DCG Photography 3.jpg Jambo 2017 DCG Photography 4.jpg Jambo 2017 DCG Photography.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.