Skip navigation

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Back to the top
Good work, how difficult was it to remove the wheel arch tub? I'm going to have to do that repair on mine one day and wondered if it was a PITA to do!

Back to the top

Saulty said

Good work, how difficult was it to remove the wheel arch tub? I'm going to have to do that repair on mine one day and wondered if it was a PITA to do!

Believe it or not getting it out isn't the problem they're fairly straight forward, there's a couple of dodgy welds to get to if you don't have decent access to the tub. I've got it up on a spit so can easily get to the welds along the floor pan. I used a spot weld drill and belt sanders to get the welds out but obviously you need to clean the undersea back first. 
The main thing is before starting make sure you take measurements of the strut top from structural points so you can drop the new one in to the exact same position. Even measure other parts of the tub as you can't have too many measurements to guide you mate. Hope this helps.

Back to the top
IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3030.JPG IMG_3031.JPG IMG_3032.JPG IMG_3034.JPG

Back to the top
Stripped the sound deadening off the floor pan and only found one small hole so some good news 😄 Finished off the front drivers side floor pan from last time after inning out of gas for the welder and then dropped onto the Drivers Rear floor pan with only small repair panels needed

Back to the top
IMG_3232.JPG IMG_3233.JPG IMG_3259.JPG IMG_3275.JPG IMG_3277.JPG IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3279.JPG

Back to the top
Used my sand blaster on some awkward areas in the drivers side footwell and seat runners then treated with hydrate 80 and zinc primer, taken the spare wheel well out to clean up and repair easier. Both inner sill fronts were replaced with some chassis leg panels I had at work so nice and sturdy.

Last edit: by Colley27

Back to the top
IMG_3284.JPG IMG_3285.JPG IMG_3286.JPG

Back to the top
Been busy! Looks like good progress  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
IMG_1941.JPG IMG_1942.JPG IMG_1943.JPG IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1967.JPG IMG_1968.JPG IMG_2755.JPG IMG_2892.JPG

I've been repairing and treating my tailgate during some breaks at work bit by bit

Back to the top
IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1162.JPG IMG_1163.JPG IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1165.JPG IMG_1166.JPG IMG_1167.JPG

Found some old images on my phone, scary to think how little decent metal was left on some of the key strength areas of the car

Back to the top

ERROR: You specified an invalid attachment ID.

Back to the top
IMG_3303.JPG

Chassis repair pieces for under the passenger side floor

Back to the top
IMG_3309.JPG IMG_3310.JPG

I stripped the primer back which I put on after having the bottom of the shell sandblasted a year ago and applied hydrate 80 rust prohibiter and a coat of primer 

Back to the top
IMG_3307.JPG

Repair panel to make up for the bulk head 

Back to the top
Good work, looking like a steady process. Keep it up  :thumbs: ! Loving the before pics, I think I'd have walked away from it!
Just out of interest, what repair panels did you use for the inner sills, what outer sills do you plan to use and what rear arches do you plan to use?

Back to the top

Saulty said

Good work, looking like a steady process. Keep it up  :thumbs: ! Loving the before pics, I think I'd have walked away from it!
Just out of interest, what repair panels did you use for the inner sills, what outer sills do you plan to use and what rear arches do you plan to use?

I took the panels I used for the inner sills from a job at work which was getting two chassis legs and these were left over ideal for what I wanted they were similar looking to the originals and were thick steel so cut them to size and dropped in.  The panels I bought from eBay when they were on a good deal, for sills, inner and outer arches they are klockenheim if I remember right but anyway the reason I bought them is because the sills have the pressings in them for the trims and looked good quality and so far haven't disappointed been straight forward to fit

Back to the top
IMG_3322.JPG IMG_3323.JPG IMG_3324.JPG

Back to the top
IMG_3325.JPG IMG_3327.JPG IMG_3328.JPG IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3332.JPG

Managed to get a cut from a decent donor car for the inner scuttle panel as mine was shot, so stripped it back and coated with hydrate 80 and primer then trial fitted it with the new scuttle and front end panels.

Back to the top
The little triangle piece of steel is from the back of the chassis leg which I think is where the washer bottle or something similar sits and the water had rot it away over time

Back to the top

Colley27 said

Saulty said

I took the panels I used for the inner sills from a job at work which was getting two chassis legs and these were left over ideal for what I wanted they were similar looking to the originals and were thick steel so cut them to size and dropped in.  The panels I bought from eBay when they were on a good deal, for sills, inner and outer arches they are klockenheim if I remember right but anyway the reason I bought them is because the sills have the pressings in them for the trims and looked good quality and so far haven't disappointed been straight forward to fit

Thanks mate, I think I remember a post on here about those panels. Was the make Klockerholm?
It looks like you've been busy again, it's gonna be worth it in the end.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.