Skip navigation

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Back to the top
cleaned the dizzy up and a lick of paint

put the rocker cover and a few other bits on today on my break

what a difference a wire wheel can make

Back to the top
Fair play to you for saving another mk1. my best mate is a panel beater too and he always loves a rusty project, the rustier the better, more to learn that way. Best of luck!!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hats off to you, great to see one more saved and getting back on the road... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
managed to get a couple of hours free to work on my golf couple of weeks ago and finished stripping the engine bay and removed the dash, screen and scuttle. the scuttle was barely held on pretty much fell off ha anyways a couple of pics.

Back to the top
Past two Sunday's I've had a few hours spare so dropped onto the golf and managed to get some new metal on the old girl.

Back to the top
Had a couple of days free to work on the owld girl last week so got straight down to getting her put onto my friends spit which I had to make some brackets up for as it was hand made for his nova. Bit of a pain making the brackets up as I only had some spare tow bar brackets  and only me to get the car lifted with only a trolley jack… Not advisable! But worth it now it's up and free rolling!
image.jpg

Back to the top
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back to the top
Cleaned the passenger rear inner arch up and gave it a coat of wurth rust prohibitor then a coat of zinc so I could see exactly what lurked beneath. Couple of old plates to take off and tidy up and a small section towards the back.

Back to the top
image.jpg image.jpg

While I had the front of the inner wing removed I cleaned up the passenger side chassis leg and welded up one tiny pin hole in it then coated it with wurth rust treatment

Back to the top
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A few naughty little bits where I had to make some little in fill panels before I fitted the inner wing top to save chewing on afterwards.

Back to the top
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Ive built myself a sandblaster to help do the awkward parts where I can't get into with wire strip clean wheels and it made life loads easier, only using for the hard to get areas as its a messy job and goes through sand in a crack!
Cleaned back the engine bay but still have a couple of the areas to re do as I couldn't get them fully sorted with the strip wheel and ran out of time to sand blast them. 
The battery tray was in not to bad shape just thought it would be better to take it off and clean the leg up fully.

Back to the top
image.jpg

Does anyone know if the front floor repair panels have the this strengthening plate on them? Cheers

Back to the top
Great Work going on there.  :thumbs:

You've inherited just about every possible repair required on a MK1 shell by the looks of it! :banghead:

The photos are instructive for anyone tackling such challenges.  :)

Keep at it one repair at a time - you'll win in the end  :king:

Back to the top

ConvictGTI-No.1983EW said

Great Work going on there.  :thumbs:

You've inherited just about every possible repair required on a MK1 shell by the looks of it! :banghead:

The photos are instructive for anyone tackling such challenges.  :)

Keep at it one repair at a time - you'll win in the end  :king:

Cheers mate

Back to the top
That is a big job and you seem to be getting on really well. Keep it up!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Managed to get a few hours on the golf today, chopped both sills off and made a start on the 'easier' passenger side 😄 
First I wire wheeled the inner sill and chopped off an old repair on the inner arches which were joined to the inner sill to make it easier to repair the sill.
I repaired the backing plate to the inner sill by chopping out the rotten piece and replacing with some fresh metal before I weld in the axle repair mount which only needed light persuasion to drop straight in for the next time I get a bit spare time.

Back to the top
Had a few hours to spare today so jump straight back into the axle mount repair panel which I shaped up last time. image.jpeg

Then had a small repair piece to drop in to the inner sill box section.  image.jpeg
image.jpeg After that I had an awkward repair piece to the wheel house tub at the front lower corner. Once I'm ready for primer I will dress this one up to shape before primer and stone chip. image.jpeg image.jpeg   image.jpeg
Then finally I removed the old chassis leg panel and cleaned up the panels behind and prepped the panel ready to be welded in the next time. image.jpeg

Last edit: by Colley27

Back to the top
Got a full day on the golf today but feel like I haven't got that much done with trying panels on and off and making small repair pieces up, here goes anyway.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
I've had the inner arch in place and the outer arch offered up and cut ready to go in at a later date, the inner arch is ready to drop in next time I get chance. I also made a small angle piece to weld to the edge of the quarter which joins it to the back panel, got this on but forgot to take a pic. Happy with the progress just wish I could get on it a couple of times a week instead of the usual once in a blue moon 😄

Back to the top
image.jpeg
It's had a back panel put in at some point over the years which makes the job a bit more awkward and the lack on zinc primer hasn't helped matters leaving all the joining panels slightly rusted 😡
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.