Skip navigation

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Back to the top
This is my 82 mk1 gti I bought as a project

“Guest” does not have access to re-use this attachment.

Back to the top
The car has seen better days but to be fair I've seen many more modern cars in worse shape! At the minute I'm pondering what to do engine wise as the car was stripped of it's engine, box and seats when I got it but they aren't with the car as a previous owner had stripped them out. I'm currently trying to locate cheap panels for repairs while I decide what to do with the engine situation, the car was bought as a project for the next couple of years as I've got little time at the minute but as the car was local I couldn't resist buying it!

Back to the top
 :o has it been in a salt bath for a couple years!

On a more serious note, very best of luck with your project, if you have the time then anything is salvageable. :)

Back to the top
I know where you got that from.
It's oak green isnt it?

VW Heritage or Classic VW should have most the repair panels you need mate  :thumbs:

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

I know where you got that from.
It's oak green isnt it?

VW Heritage or Classic VW should have most the repair panels you need mate  :thumbs:
yeh it is oak green mate, I got it from aycliffe mate from a lad called Jamie but it was owned by a lady in aycliffe before him who ive contacted about getting some of the original parts if she still has them.
The bodywork doesn't worry/scare me as im a panel beater by trade and the previous project was a 71 beetle which was twice as bad as this!  :)

Back to the top
If the colours genuine and not a respray then its a pretty rare car.
So where abouts are you based? I'm at Willington.

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

If the colours genuine and not a respray then its a pretty rare car.
So where abouts are you based? I'm at Willington.

I'm in bishop mate, even though there's no engine I've got a folder full of receipts and documents from 1982 when the car was born lol which has on there that it's oak green and that it has only covered 66,000 miles on the shell. Don't suppose you know the lady who owned it previous from aycliffe? Just she's on holiday when I called round the house in the hope she was the one who took the parts off and still has them laid about!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nar sorry mate. I only know it from when I had my car through there to get painted. He said it belonged to his mate & that he'd tried to buy it from him but the lad wouldn't sell.

There seems to be quite a few Mk1's round our way - just most are off the road  :lol:

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

Nar sorry mate. I only know it from when I had my car through there to get painted. He said it belonged to his mate & that he'd tried to buy it from him but the lad wouldn't sell.

There seems to be quite a few Mk1's round our way - just most are off the road  :lol:

Aye mine will be off the road for some time! :lol:  canny lad Jamie first time I met him when buying the car but I knew of his work good standard like! I work at bodywork direct in crook so not that often I get to work on resto's but nice change even with the horrible ginger metal to deal wit :thumbs: h

Back to the top
Got your self a big project their …thought mine was bad lol

Good luck mate  ;)

Back to the top

mk1 Jamie said

Got your self a big project their …thought mine was bad lol

Good luck mate  ;)

Cheers, to be fair the amount of rust doesn't seem to bad to me got the car for a right deal so I just see it as panels that need replacing rather than bits of rust here there and everywhere. My plan is to either piece together the individual parts or get a load of parts from someone who is breaking a good shell for he original panels to replace mine such as the inner wings and scuttle. The underneath of the car is sound really which is surprising as the top is gone lol 

Back to the top
crikey! you have some work ahead of you!!

good luck - keep the updates coming.  :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Cheers I will be updating every time I do a bit of graft (few and far between)  :lol:

Back to the top
Bought myself an original 1.6 gti engine to drop in when I get the engine bay sorted. I bought the engine from a really nice guy from the forum and when I've stripped it down it's been well looked after over the years by the looks of it. I've also started buying someone pair panels too, I've bought the scuttle panel, front inner wing repairs and just waiting for the inner wing tops to come back into stock then I can get on with the front end repairs.

Back to the top
stripped off most of the parts and gave the block a clean and overhaul using some old parts and blue roll covering any holes to stop dirt/grease getting inside the block, painted the block up and fitted a new timing kit and a set of new gaskets.

Back to the top
Great job cleaning the engine, looks like new  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Great job cleaning the engine, looks like new  :thumbs:

Matt
  cheers mate few new bits to add to it yet such as the water pump and a new metal water pipe

Back to the top
That's cleaning up nicely  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Blimey, think that's ready for the scrap yard.

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Blimey, think that's ready for the scrap yard.

If everyone thought like that mate the mk1 would be an endangered species 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.