Skip navigation

Mars Red Tintop @ VAGE 2017

Back to the top
That looks class Hugh, understated and really good.

Back to the top

Oldschoolcool said

That looks class Hugh, understated and really good.

Thanks for the comment.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
So the fuel tank rebuild continues on the tintop - needed a few more parts than what I thought.

Went a bit money mad last week and bought the following:

Fuel pump holder in stainless steel and bobbins
Fuel Accumulator holder in stainless steel and bobbins
Fuel tank to fuel pump 90 degree hose
Fuel pump to accumulator braided hose
Accumulator braided hose to main fuel line

and a new filler neck and gasket.

Hopefully look like new again!  :cool:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
You have too much money Hugh 😉

Back to the top
Where did you get the stainless parts from?   They could be worth purchasing.

Back to the top

Mcdubber1 said

Sorry Mcdubber1 for not getting back to you - all the stainless steel bits came from Crazyquiffs. Link on the left.  :thumbs:

Filler neck from Mark @ Classic-vw  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
So with the petrol tank removed it was the perfect time to Schultz the underside of the car. It was showing some signs of wear and tears - starting to flake off and become brittle from a number of years of Irish roads.

The exhaust and rear beam were removed to replace the tank. The manifold downpipe protected by a plastic bag and an even coat of Schultz applied. Left to dry and harden up.

It makes the repair weather-tight and gives an original look and good contrast to the red paint colour. Almost there now.  :)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top

Shughy said

Mcdubber1 said

Sorry Mcdubber1 for not getting back to you - all the stainless steel bits came from Crazyquiffs. Link on the left.  :thumbs:

Filler neck from Mark @ Classic-vw  :thumbs:

No problems mate, thanks for the info  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Good job as usual Hugh 😊

Back to the top
Thanks Chris Massbad69

Cheers for that.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
So back in motion again…  :cool:

It has had a full strip down of the fuel tank and all auxiliary pipe work to the filler neck. The underside of the car has had any surface rust removed and a fresh coat of Schultz applied.

The fuel tank was replaced with a spanking new one and heat shield inserted too.

The fuel pump was replaced with a new old stock Bosch one 0580254909 and the accumulator needed a replacement too as the old one sprung a leak.

The back axle was treated a lick of paint to freshen it up and new brake lines and stainless steel hel pipes to complete the job.

All in all it looks mint again.  ;)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Nice work as always Hugh, especially the underside paintwork. Not the nicest of jobs, keep putting off doing mine.

Back to the top
Lookin superb Hugh.

Back to the top
Looking great Hugh :wub:

Back to the top
Nice work mate, I definitely want to underseal the sportline at some point , so nice purchases for the tin top as of late, keep up the great work :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Good job.

Sticker Pig

Back to the top
Looks tidy Hugh ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks chaps!  :thumbs:

I can't take all the credit on this one - I stripped it down, bought all the bits and pieces, but my mechanic Tommy put the jigsaw back together for me. I was there for the turn the ignition key ceremony. Great sound of it now with the exhaust purring!  :) Hopefully no more rust in the tank issues.

Next job is to move onto the interior for an update and re-trim hopefully in January.

Also being building up an engine over the past two years so have all my bits blasted, powder-coated and yellow zinc plated. Big jigsaw in boxes to go back together.  :lol:

Should look good when complete.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Do it once and do it right! ok, we've identified the problem, lets not make it worse by guessing……… Identifying the sympton is not the same as understanding the cause :)

Back to the top
OK so last October I bought these…

Really good condition sportline recaro's full interior with the added feature of electric bases. Seats are in excellent condition - no bolster wear and material is in great condition.

So my plan is too re-trim the seats in the mars red (hard to get material) standard to the tintop. Thanks to Funk Star who got some for me…

Tintop is currently at AT-Autostyle in Kilkenny for a couple of weeks for a new headlining and front seat re trim…  :cool:

Meanwhile I'm moving on with my engine rebuild which should look great when complete.  :)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.