Skip navigation

Mars Red Tintop @ VAGE 2017

Back to the top
Great work Hugh 👍

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Great work Hugh 👍

Thanks Chris - I have been busy doing bits the last month now the Sportline is in storage.

They are such great cars to work on.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
I agree, probably the easiest to work on.

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
So for a bit of time I wanted to get rid of the 'syncro' springs on the mk1 tintop (so dent doc calls them) and fit some lowering ones which would enhance the look and improve the road handling. Went for the Eibach range combined with my Boge shocks to complete the job.

Couple of hours work and thanks to my mk1 buddy Paul (cranky) for helping to fit them.  ;)

The combination is perfect with good driving characteristics.

Before shot:

After Shot:

And a view from the rear…

Also bought this petrol tank for the next big undertaking…

Going to replace it the fuel pump and filler neck - few hoses getting the boot too.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Better stance Hugh :-)

Back to the top
Looking good Hugh ,thats what i have on mine ,and with k bar lower suspension brace  bends are just sweet.

Back to the top
looking good Hugh

Back to the top
Much better Shughy !!

The tank is a pain as you have to break the brake system :-(

Nothing like a cold winter day to get stuck in with though !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks chaps.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Looking great Hugh  :thumbs: .

Was the exhaust system specially made up or is it a jetex etc? It's just that I'm planning on doing the same myself and considering the options.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top

Desperado said

Was the exhaust system specially made up or is it a jetex etc? It's just that I'm planning on doing the same myself and considering the options.

Hi Des yes it was made to fit - went for a longlife system, had heard good reviews and was competitive on price. I had the manifold in my secret stash so decided to bite the bullet and match it to.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
That looks stunning, reminds me of my first mk1 a lot, I miss that car.

Back to the top

Shughy said

Desperado said

Hi Des yes it was made to fit - went for a longlife system, had heard good reviews and was competitive on price. I had the manifold in my secret stash so decided to bite the bullet and match it to.  :thumbs:

I think that's what I am going to do too, made to fit that is, there's a man in Newry who's well recommended and also Canavan's in Lurgan.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
Looking good Hugh. I didn't know you had this. Looks well when lowered. I have a set of Eibach springs ordered for my new purchase which just happens to be red too.

Sticker Pig

Back to the top
Perfect combo Hugh, I had the same combo on my MK2 and it was spot-on.  :thumbs:

How old are you rear brake lines? I'd budget on doing them too when you swap the tank over unless they're minty fresh. I find they're always seized at the unions!  :dry:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Perfect combo Hugh, I had the same combo on my MK2 and it was spot-on.  :thumbs:

How old are you rear brake lines? I'd budget on doing them too when you swap the tank over unless they're minty fresh. I find they're always seized at the unions!  :dry:

Hi Andy - there were in my list to change alright - ordered a set from the great FUNK couple of weeks back.  :lol:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
So couple of weeks back I collected a set of steel wheels from a chap called Niall who had them on his mk2 golf.

All have a reasonable amount of Firestone rubber left on the rims. Centre caps and lips were included which was a rear bonus.

A great alternative to alloys and the now discontinued 15′ versions of the wheels.

This was my process of refurbishment.

All had a couple of rust spots and a bit of wear and tear around the edges.

Firstly tackled the plastic lips to remove the scratch marks.

The mouse black and decker came in handy.

A coat of primer and then lacquer from Halfords

All wire brushed, hand sanded, primed and matt black applied to back of wheels.

I didn't take off the rubber so bit of overspill from rattle cans. I have removed spray with a bit of white spirits look ok to me for €40 job!  :thumbs:

Not bad for an afternoon's work. Anyone need a mint set of tarantula's?

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Good job Hugh and all done for not a lot of cash, bargain :-)

Going to do my steelies that I just got for my VRS this weekend before putting the winter tyres on.

Back to the top
Thanks Chris. Yea I bought the set for €160 and spent €40 on paint and lacquer in Halfords. Will do fine for the winter months.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
I think they look great on the car as well !!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.