Skip navigation

'86 Black GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top

first GTI and first project

FYI, for the badges think I'll try some lacquer over a test area (on cardboard) of the oil based pen first to see if there is a reaction. Then all going well apply Satin Lacquer first, then the Oil based pen for the lettering, then finish off with another coat of lacquer. Atleast that way it might be easier to recover from a mishap on top of the lacquer rather then making a mistake straight over the Satin black. - I'll keep you posted….

Back to the top
Do u still need that bracket ?

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Do u still need that bracket ?
No, Thanks Chris. Mark didn't have any but I managed to get it from Germany via vwheritage. I'll need to post the part number for others in case they need it.
Haven't managed to fit it yet though!! Still focusing on offside front. Just about ready to put everything back together.

Back to the top
Ah ok i will put my one back :-)

Back to the top
Nice to meet you today.

It's quite hard to see the blended bodykit but the decision is yours 😉

It should be small bumpers and go for that if you want to go back to original ??

Or stay with the clipper kit but the blended kit is a bit different :-)

If you don't need to touch it and its your taste leave it but if as u said u will need to remove it at some point then just decide once its removed :-)

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Nice to meet you today.

It's quite hard to see the blended bodykit but the decision is yours 😉

It should be small bumpers and go for that if you want to go back to original ??

Or stay with the clipper kit but the blended kit is a bit different :-)

If you don't need to touch it and its your taste leave it but if as u said u will need to remove it at some point then just decide once its removed :-)

Yeah good to meet you Chris. Thanks for looking at this.
 The body kit needs to come off as both sills need repaired. I'll then decide whether to put on small bumpers or a new proper clipper kit. I'm thinking my preference is smaller bumpers just like bazmk1 black tin top I saw earlier today.

Back to the top
still busy preparing that front corner. Wanted to re-use what I could. so a lot of elbow grease quite a lot Eastwood rust dissolver, Extreme Chassis Black Primer and Chassis Black Satin paint. Maybe get the O/S front all back together soon. Next door neighboor done the paintwork - maybe I'll attempt the other side - how hard can it be ;) Photo 07-06-2014 13 02 26.jpg

Photo 08-06-2014 16 47 15.jpg
Photo 08-06-2014 16 47 33.jpg
Photo 08-06-2014 16 47 24.jpg
Photo 08-06-2014 16 45 59.jpg
Photo 08-06-2014 16 46 30.jpg
Photo 08-06-2014 16 47 46.jpg
Photo 08-06-2014 16 46 59.jpg
Photo 08-06-2014 16 47 10.jpg

Was the closest match to the actual colour after i scrubbed it down - mixed with paint hardener - I'll be too scared to drive it :o Photo 08-06-2014 18 04 26.jpg

Back to the top
Looking good, theres nothing better than refurb results  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Yep, really pleased with them Chris. Actually the photos don't do them justice. They look much better in real life!

Both front Springs are away to be sand blasted  - They'll then be primed and a top coat of the extreme chassis black satin too. or maybe red. not sure yet.

Back to the top
Been a long winter and not much to report -  Decision was made to remove the big bumper and replace it with small ones. Near side wing needs replaced and middle section of both sills need cut out and replacements welded on.  Just as well we made the call to remove the big bumper then!!
Wing and Sills sourced from crazyquiffs and Mark at Classic Vw so stroll on the better weather to start all over again!! In the meantime here are some random before and after shots from the end of last summer.

front.jpg

nearsidewing.jpg

sillnearside.JPG

sillsoffside.jpg

spring1.JPG

spring2.JPG

spring3.JPG

strut1.JPG

strut2.JPG

strut3.jpg

:o 

Back to the top
Apologies if there doesn't seem to be much of an organised approach to this. There has been some progress and I'll need to get all my before and after images all sorted. Meanwhile the body kit has been removed. and is not going back on. So it will have small bumpers front and back. Tailgate removed. Corners repaired, welded and primed below:

IMG_5742.JPG

Back to the top
Only taken 6 years to get to this point. :$  
Going into body shop tomorrow . Maybe on the road next spring ?

o/s
  IMG_5989.JPG

n/s
Photo 05-12-2019, 15 30 33.jpg

Back to the top
That came out real nice, liking the yellow to black look.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

madone_si said

That came out real nice, liking the yellow to black look.

Yeah really pleased. just need to focus on getting it done now :$  :$
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.