Skip navigation

Trip to Ireland and a run around the ring of Kerry

Back to the top

Who would be interested ?

just ordered a crate of Red Bull, 1kg of Prozac, 5kg of Jelly Babies and a large tub of pile cream.
Bring it on  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Be careful with these Jelly Babies…. They'll get you in trouble!!!  :lol:

Back to the top
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
I love jelly babies!  :thumbs:

Ok Just a reminder If you do not book by Saturday evening the remaining rooms will be opened to the general public and sold accordingly - so you have a few days remaining to get your self booked in!

Again first come first served basis.  :)

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
For any late UK visitors who would like to travel to our Ring of Kerry tour - I got a 20% Irish Ferries discount today. If interested drop me a pt with your email address and I'll forward it on to you…

Only a week to go.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Work just about finished now, leaving Iraq Monday, get home Tuesday, get a haircut and take the car out of storage on Wednesday, check the oil and water then give her a wash and polish on Thursday ,start the drive to Kerry on Friday. I think it is going to be a busy but a great week. Any long range weather forecasts?
Andy

Back to the top
Safe travelling home Andy  :thumbs:

Weather looks to be improving to the middle of next week with temps increasing to 20c. Not sure about next weekend yet. We might be lucky.  :cool:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top

lynchigh said

Just having a proper look at this for the first time…says a lot about me.
AA says 198 miles to Sneem from rosslare , 4 1/2 hour drive. Ferry due in 1845 so it's getting on midnight by the time we get there.
230 miles in eng/wales
Hope the bar is still open
To combat this a little bit Waterworx and myself have booked in to the Travelodge on Pier Road in Pembroke Dock for the Thursday night. Not sure on your plans but you are welcome to meet up Thursday night if you want mate.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for the offer. It looks like I will be going solo now as my son is busy doing other things. I'm a lorry driver so I'm well used to a long trip. I thought it was only a 100 miles or so from the ferry so bit of a shock. 200 miles in the dark on irish roads with my none too soft suspension might be a bit of a tester. Catch you on the ferry fingers crossed.

Back to the top
Hi folks…

So this is happening this weekend… should be good.  :thumbs:

Here is  a rough schedule of event (All times are approximate):

Friday - The UK Crew land around 18:30 into Rosslare and will be heading direct to Sneem arrive about 23:00. Just in time for a quick pint of Guinness! A number of us are heading down earlier in the afternoon/evening - myself included.  :cool:

Saturday is Ring of Kerry day. We are going to a have a meet and greet in the Hotel carpark @ 10:00-10:30 with maps and plaques handed out. Depart hotel at approx 10:30. Travel via Lady's View, Killarney, Killorglin, Glenbeigh, Valentia Island, Caherciveen, Waterville back to Sneem. Couple of stops with group pics planned. See map below.

Having a MK1 Dinner in hotel on saturday night booked for 8pm. All welcome. Please give your name to us.

Sunday is another leisurely cruise heading east along the copper coast taking in Dungarvan, Dunmore East, Tramore ending up in Wexford. No departure time set. Probably a smaller Mk1 crew travelling on this trip but might be worth the trek.

Monday The UK guys will be heading home on the morning ferry! All in all should be a great weekend.

Bring your camera!  :cool:

Weekend weather Update Some cloud and patchy rain will linger in Southern and Southeastern counties on Friday night. Over the rest of the country, it will be dry and cold with clear spells and temperatures falling to 6 or 7 degrees with some mist and fog patches forming in a light Northerly breeze.

This weekend will feel Autumnal and much cooler and fresher than recently. There will be good sunshine and a lot of dry weather but some scattered heavy showers about also. Daytime temperatures will reach between 15 and 18 degrees, coolest in Northern areas with mostly light to moderate Northerly breezes. Nights will be cold with some mist and fog and lowest temperatures between 5 and 8 degrees.

Monday looks like being mainly dry and still rather cool and fresh. There'll be very light winds with early mist and fog gradually clearing to give some sunny spells.

All in all we hope you all have a great weekend! Safe motoring and see you in Sneem on friday or saturday.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Have a good weekend all  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks Daz!

Well folks this weekend started last night with a few drinks in hotel lobby of the mk1 owners. UK folks were in great form considering they did over 200 miles from Rosslare.  :thumbs:

All set to go today.  ;)

Meet and greet @10:00  and depart at about 10:30. 

Weather is looking good too.  :cool:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Not a bad view to start the day with !!

C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Well as they say in Ireland, that was mighty. Thanks to everyone connected to Mk1s that we met over the course of the weekend.
Absolutely brilliant.
          Thanks a million……lol

Back to the top
Well what a weekend in our mk1′s golfs!  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Thanks to all who turned up and enjoyed the 127 mile Ring of Kerry. It was a blast from start to finish. Sincere thanks to the UK guys for coming over and participating in the run, Andyphil who came from NI, all the Irish guys who turned up and Paul who helped out with the logistics of the weekend.

It was great fun and in the words of Fr Brian 'tis was mighty!' :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

We had 12 cars in total who journeyed around the Ring of Kerry with magnificent scenery, great food and good company.  :cool:

We certainly turned heads with many waving and flashing lights back at us! Couple of pics!

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Couple more…

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Heather and I had a fantastic weekend, It was great to meet everyone who attended the run. The hotel was amazing setting the theme for a great time. we clocked up just under 800 miles of trouble free motoring for the whole journey which is not bad in a 1983 car.
Roll on next year.
Andy

Back to the top
920 miles door to door, back home safe and sound with a head full of great memories from the weekend and a belly full of Guinness and fine food!
Stunning scenery, Southern Ireland just has to be seen to appreciate its rugged beauty, totally breathtaking and roads that have just had asphalt poured over whatever was there in the first place.!
Next year I need new suspension, louder speakers and a gum shield :-))
Tanks a Million to yerz arl..!

Back to the top
Great pics looks like great weekend had by all.

Back to the top
Sorry I missed this but things didn't fall into place the way they were supposed to 

Mk1 golf gti
Mk1 golf gti project View topic: 1982 original Irish GTi - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club
mTDI corrado
Mk1 skoda octavia vrs combi
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.