Skip navigation

Massbads GX - Up for sale again £2100

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Just noticed the dreaded rusty fuel filler neck :-(

There's a chap on here, I can look up his name if you don't know of him already, who fabricated one for me in stainless steel which I fitted to my GX last year. Never have to worry about rust again! And it was only 2-3 times the cost of a new one from GSF or the like, which will probably pay off in the long run.

I want your drivers seat!! :-p

Back to the top
I have hand washed the car to get a good look at its overall condition.

It needs a fair bit of tlc if I keep it ??

It was brutal trying to get it in and out of the garage, so it needs a complete fuel system overhaul and then take it from there.

Carb set up

Rust scabs sorted somehow ??

Full paint correction detail

Lots of hours/days of tlc and interior shampooing etc

Lots of poorly working things like handles, locks, aerial, speakers blah blah blah

Fed up though as thought it was a minter with great history :-(

Back to the top
shame to hear that its not as you thought :(

what is your plan with a tintop? will it be a keeper like the sportline or is it just something to fill the gap as youve got nothing to sort out on the sportline lol  :thumbs:

also you dont fancy scanning the pre-delivery inspection sheet do you and emailing me it ;)

And if you fancy sell the the mud flaps ;)

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Scott

I am unsure whether its mk1 flaps I need to check.

I will scan the doc for you but my missus needs to do it and she's not in the office til after our hols. So u will need to remind me in 2 weeks :-)

The car was a keeper until I saw it, so now just need to give it some thought :-/

Back to the top
That's a real shame Chris, must feel like a punch in the gut  :(

Best just tackle it one job at a time - if you were planning to keep it in the first place it could still be a keeper. Tackle the job first that will make the biggest difference to you - maybe the fuel system. Appreciate it may end up a big job but at least you can drive it and enjoy it then.

It's the joy of old cars - I think I have a fuel leak on my Sportline now!

Good luck with it and keep ya pecker up  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Such a shame its not as good as you thought Chris. Maybe get the fuel system sorted first so you can enjoy driving it.  It is a special car, with the low miles and history, and with that special 'Smith magic' I'm sure you can put your own mark on the car and then stand back with satisfaction. 

Last edit: by watson

Back to the top
The old owner of this came to a few of the Berkshire meets, I'll see if I can find some pics. 

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
sell it and but mine ;) although mines not running great at the moment now

Best thing to do is lock it in the garage for a week or 2, if you find yourself tinkering with it and trying to find out what problems are then its a keeper, if you leave it there and arent to bothered about getting it sorted then sell it?

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

sell it and but mine ;) although mines not running great at the moment now

Best thing to do is lock it in the garage for a week or 2, if you find yourself tinkering with it and trying to find out what problems are then its a keeper, if you leave it there and arent to bothered about getting it sorted then sell it?
I have come to an agreement with the previous owner regarding the cars issues.

I gave it a good going over last night and I will now reinvest the money I have had back into the car and then no doubt spend a lot more and get it to its best standard.

As with all old cars there is a multitude of things needing done and I will start tonight by putting my spare new mats in from Gavb95, even though they are cabby ones, put my refurbed wipers on with new blades and try my black Sebrings on it, so I can get the originals off to refurb and new tyres.

Then after my hols I will get all the new parts for the filler neck etc from Funk and make a start on the things that I can hopefully do.

Then it will be the proffesionals turn to do their magic over the months and pennies dependent.

Chris

Back to the top
Oh that's good news Chris, glad you're sticking with it and glad the P/O coughed up some  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Right I came home and put the summer 20's onto the Audi as we are away in it to Holland soon, then got my older sons future first car back from its MOT and put on the alloys that I refurbed myself with the new tyres on.

Then spent an hour or so on the boot area for a starter.

Washer bottle cleaned with sand and gunk, wheel well cleaned out, full tailgate cleaned in all corners and boot floor cleaned with Autoglym bumper gel and vinyl and rubber cleaner.

Good start.

Last edit: by Massbad69

Back to the top
Pics off front and back mats, new GTI refurbed wipers, washer bottle back in boot and sunroof seal scrubbed to remove green grunge.

Back to the top
That's it mass .look what you have achieved already!
Good to hear the previous owner helped u out.
Just look at little red for inspiration

Back to the top
Aladdins cave and the new car cuddled up to the radiator.

Back to the top
Glad to hear you've come to a resolution mate. Transformations start here!!  :thumbs:

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
Cheers but I'm dreading the fuel issue :-(

Back to the top
Nice to see you stuck in it now, better already  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking better already - deep shiny paintwork. The spare wheel strap - have you only got the buckle  half ?  Same as mine.

Back to the top

watson said

Looking better already - deep shiny paintwork. The spare wheel strap - have you only got the buckle  half ?  Same as mine.

Yes Dave, it only has the strap with the buckle on it  :(

Back to the top
It'll be worth it in the end Chris.
Keep yer pecker up!
There are too many online users to list.