Skip navigation

Your favourite car wax?

Back to the top
Come on then spill… What's your favorite wax?

For me I like Collinite 476s for the winter months although it's not the easiest to apply. For all the other months Britemax Vantage, SO easy to apply and leaves behind an amazing finish.

Car Care Products - Detailing Products - Shop n Shine

303 - 3M - Autoglym - California Scents - Chemical Guys - Collinite - Dodo Juice - EZ Detail - Poorboys World - ValetPRO

Back to the top
Collinite 476 for me but got AG HD wax now as well, which seems decent so far.

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Collinite 476 for me but got AG HD wax now as well, which seems decent so far.

HD Wax is pretty good and lasts for quite a while. I however do not think it's worth the price AG Charge.

Car Care Products - Detailing Products - Shop n Shine

303 - 3M - Autoglym - California Scents - Chemical Guys - Collinite - Dodo Juice - EZ Detail - Poorboys World - ValetPRO

Back to the top
I use Zymol Concours - love it :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
dodo supernatural for me, love the finish

'93 mk1 clipper(my occasional daily)

'89 mk2 16v gti(my daily when not using the above)

'08 a4 cab s line(the wifes daily)

2 doors rule!

Back to the top
I have used all kinds of waxes and polishes in my time.. Auto glym, super resin, Auto glym ultimate deep shine, Meguiars gold, Auto glym HD wax, dodo juice, etc etc etc.. But by far the best, deepest shine is the Meguiars NXT (liquid) in the purple bottle. To be fair, its not technically a wax and doesn't stay on for as long as the HD wax by a long way, but on the show ground, I won't use anything else and let me explain why..

For a start, it goes on really easily (and you hardly need any on the sponge at all, I bet a teaspoon full would do a couple of panels) and doesn't create dust as so many other polishes and waxes do. Secondly, if you have perhaps gently tcut an area for whatever reason, the NXT removes any residual tcut really easily.. I have in the past had to gently tcut a mark and tried to then apply HD wax to the area and you could still see quite clearly where the are that had been cut was.. Only the NXT would shift it and restore the deep wet look shine, but then the area was a deeper shine than the HD wax.. So the whole car had to be done with the meguiars NXT again..

So if you want a wax to protect, a product like Autoglym HD wax is great, great finish and longevity on the car. But in the show arena, on my metallic blue paint, nothing can compare to Meguiars NXT and if anyone anywhere can find me a product that gives a deeper shine than this stuff, I will buy it and buy them a beer!

Back to the top
Collinite 845 as it's is so easy to apply and lasts for ages. Apply over a coat of Autoglymn SRP which seems to suit old paint if you happen to have the original stuff on the car.

If yours has been resprayed  with a clear coat then I prefer a glaze such as Poorbouys Blackhole with Collinite over the top again.

For my car if it's in a show, I just use Meguiars #7 show glaze, with nothing on top , it is a nightmare to put on unless you know how and first sign of rain and it disappears, but the shine on my Mars Red is awesome.

Here it is wearing thus earlier in year

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Difficult to tell on a pic, but here is mine with meguiars NXT

Back to the top
Good grief, I've just falled in love with a colour I hate!  :wub:

Outstanding walt  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Autoglym ultra deep shine is pretty good although a just a bit more graft than superresin

Back to the top
Zymol vintage 

Back to the top
Auto finesse - illusion 

171761 views (107 Kb)

Back to the top
Zymol vintage 

Back to the top
im using dodo juice supernatural atm, seems pretty decent

MK1 Golf Owners Club Official Instagram Account @vwmk1golfoc or Instagram

Send your images to ig@vwgolfmk1.org.uk and we will share them with the world!

Back to the top
After reading this thread and throwing in my two penneth, I want to add to my previous post "Poorboys black hole" Someone else mentioned it on here and as its not technically a wax, I left it out from my post. If we are talking purely deep wet look shine, then the poorboys black hole cannot be beaten in my opinion. I believe that the chemical guys also do a similar product at the same price point which is also superb. But I am gonna stick my neck out and say that black hole absolutely took my breath away. But as mentioned already, it is a glaze and not a wax but I absolutely agree with Richard Hall on that one. The best £12.50 I ever spent on a detailing product. Obviously its for dark colours, but for light cars they also do one called White diamond.

Last edit: by walt

Back to the top
For a glaze I find that on old original paint you can't beat Meguiars #7 Show Glaze, I don't normally bother topping it off with a wax as don't need durability.  It must be on old single stage paint though - not spectacular on modern paints, where I would agree with Walt that Poorbouys Blackhole/white diamond takes some beating.

If I do use a wax on my other cars then current favourite is Britemax Vantage.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Yup white diamond and black hole here too. 

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
well fellow dubbers… i use Armor All… absolutely brilliant… £18 a throw but does a damn good job, cleans, protects & last for weeks…

Back to the top
Been using the auto glym rapid wax through the winter months just for pure ease smells lovely too  :thumbs:  but it doesnt last like some of the others mentioned

Back to the top
None, have never waxed/polished any of my cars in over 40 years of driving, lucky if they get washed once a year.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.