Skip navigation

Audi Throttle body with mk2 WUR?

Back to the top
Does anyone know if I can use the Audi throttle body with a mk2 16v WUR? or does it have to be Audi/Audi or mk2/mk2? Cheers.

Back to the top
You can use the 16V one but you will need to calibrate it for your engine.
Commonly known as the WUR mod. You can drill out the brass cover on the back to access an allen headed screw, this allows you to tweak the hot control pressure. For the cold pressure you can drift the spigot that the by metal strip is fixed to.

Either way you should get a pressure gauge on her to check that the cold and hot pressures are good as you do not want her to run lean.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for the help! I'll print that off for reference for when I put the engine in. :thumbs:.

Does anyone know the part number of the Audi one? I've just found a spare one in a box where I found the throttle body and have no idea what its from.

Back to the top
the audi tb is same size as mk2 1.8 8v/16v tb, the main thing you need to check is if your throttle cable will fit or not, and if it has an idle screw. if that checks out then bung it on! You'll know if its tyhe audi/mk2 type if its bigger than yours basically, only thin to remember is your inlet will need porting out a bit to take advantage! back in the day you used to be able to buy adaptor plates.

if your cable wont fit you may be able to use a mk2 gti one depending on the linkage, or swap your old mk1 bits over to it. if in doubt post pics up and maybe we can help :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I believe that the throttle body I've got is off a Audi, but thats only by looking at pictures to compare. I've looked at the cable fitting and it looks like its in a very similar position to the original.

This is it, only picture I have of the tb atm, does that arm at the bottom with the silver barrel/peg on it do anything or can I cut it off?

Is this the matching Audi WUR? Its got a slightly different part number to the standard one but looks identical. Theres only another one I can find on ebay but that £200! so I'll be going for a 16v one if the one in the link is wrong.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-924-Audi-VW-WUR-warm-up-regulator-0-438-140-011-0438140011-Bosch-/141128306031?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20dbe70d6f

Back to the top
That is not the WUR you are after - you need one with the vacuum take off for fast throttle opening enrichment

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
yeah looks like an audi tb, with the extra lump on the small butterfly. the bit you mention on the bottom can be chopped off if its not connected to anything :)

mk2 16v wur will do you no need to spend out on audi one ;)

Back to the top
Do I need to remove the extra lump on the butterfly?

ahhh, I've had a rumage though my box of spare bits that came with the car and have found another WUR that I think has a vacuum take off on it? I've got no idea if its off a Audi or 16v? part number on it is - 0438140.

I'm guessing that the black tube is the vacuum take off?

Back to the top
I woudlnt bother, if you took it off you would have holes in the flap?

that looks like a 16v/audi wur, without a full part number we cant be sure. the full VW part number for 16v one is 035 133 403 G

Back to the top
Yes there would be 2 holes, I'll leave it on anyhow.

I've just realized that the part number was on the side not the top sorry :lol:.

It's 035 133 403 E, so it looks like its not a 16v one

Back to the top
reet thats a passat and audi one, listed for 5 cyl audi engine code RT amongst others :)

Back to the top
Does that mean I can't use it? Do I need one for a 4cyl engine? 

Back to the top
No, it means that it will need calibrating to give the correct cold and hot pressures using a pressure gauge

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
ahhhh thats good then :). Is it exactly the same as the 16v one, as in the way I need to calibrate it?

Thanks guys for all the help much appreciated! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Yes it is the same - just the control pressures are very different.

Make sure the diaphragm is not ripped by putting a pipe on it and sucking, you should not be able to continually suck air.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Ok, just checked it, seems to be ok :). Thanks again.

Back to the top
Hi,

Sorry for reopening an old thread. I have one of these WUR's from the Audi. A mod i've been meaning to do for ages.

This is the very one I purchased below.

IMG_7703.jpg

The audi TB is on, but there's a problem with the fitment of the WUR. It's vacuum take-off will collide with the oil filter housing.

Might be a silly question, but to get around this can I fit the WUR upside down?  :$  O_o
(So vac take-off faces alternator instead)

I did suggest this to the mechanic, but noticed the sender on the stock WUR would probably not have enough travel to reach the oil filter housing if upside down.

If it can't be fitted upside down, is it true the vacuum take-off is not 100% required?
I've read it just improves the fuel mix at higher speed.

Dave Crisell mentioned that back in the day he ran the uprated Audi TB only, and wasn't aware the matching WUR was required. Anyone else done the same?

Please advise.

Thanks, Si

Back to the top
Fitting upside down will not affect its operation. It is bolted to the block to see the heat from the engine, heat increases the speed that the bi-metal strip inside bends to increase the control pressure and therefore weaken the mixture.
I had one fitted to my 8v and  had enough clearance for the pipe though.

If you don't fit the vacuum pipe then there is absolutely no point in fitting this WUR at all.. The point of it is to give momentary fuel enrichment when the throttle is banged open due to vacuum collapse. It does have another nice feature in that on the back of it is a brass dome that you can drill out to expose an Allen screw, this lets you fine tune the control pressure.

If you do fit it, get the conttol pressures, cold and hot checked with a fairly linear warm up - you especially don't want it running lean high up the Rev range.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Ade, 

Sorry for the late reply. Only just got the car back after so long as a new head was being fitted altogether and due to weather it couldn't be properly road-tested. 

My large butterfly Audi throttle body turned out to have an air leak so the garage reverted to putting the original back on, but it is mated to the upside down Audi WUR. The mechanic did this as he wasn't happy with the amount of clogging in the original Mk1 WUR. 

I'm not sure if this combination is likely to impact idle on cold start(?) as it is sometimes as low as 3-400 rpm at cold idle. I know it's a Gs1 cam and new head with vernier, or weather it's just a timing thing. Any thoughts?

Ta

Back to the top
if you put a WUR on for a different engien you risk the fuelling being off while the car is warming up, not a great deal you can do either as the only adjustment you can make on them is the hot control pressure, the warm up curve will be adjusted along with it up or downwards.

the metering head adjustment can help a bit but again only so much you can do with it. luckily the older car CO limits are pretty high so you have a fair bit of adjustment headroom for tweaking

what you really need is an old skool kjet tuning bloke, but these guys are now few and far between

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.