Skip navigation

Jessie the tdi mk1 jetta (haldex conversion begining...) 12/09/17 update!

Back to the top
Well got busy today, managed to rebuild the front of the car, bumper, grill, headlights and trims, managed to run the wiring loom for the lights and stuff aswell, also got the brake servo and brace bar fitted, made up all new brakes pipes, refitted all the bulkhead grommets and fitted the clutch bottle, fitted the intercooler and radiator, and then we had a bit of time spare so we decided to fit the engine and got a Few bits connected up, shafts gear linkages, started mocking up the intercooler pipes aswell.
Here's a few pics

Jason my apprentice looking gormless!!
This is how we left her for tonight, good days effort I think!

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
thats looking good fella

what intercooler and rad are you using?

also how did you find the gear cables, did they seem a bit long?

sos for all the questions just trying to do research for my own project

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Radiator is a standard gti rad with a 525mm core the intercooler came from www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk , they do universal ones and this was the smallest, it's a perfect size behind the grill, the gear cables seam ok, I have run them over the top of the rack and there about right, I'm still working stuff out as I go along so most of it is trial and error…..

View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Little update today guys,
My intercooler pipe kit arrived today, top pipe was nice and easy to make, lower pipe was a bit more effort, I dropped my intercooler and a section of pipe off at the alloy welders tonight to get a 180 degree bend welded onto the end as I've had to cut the bend right down and now the clip doesn't hold tight enough and I know it's guna blow off! Once I've had it back tomorrow I will get it all fitted up a dim just waiting for my clip adaptor pipe for the turbo then.
Also trying to find homes for the n75, egr and shudder valve solenoids too, think in going to fit them under the rain tray and run the vac lines through a grommet into the bay, keep it tidy. Bora servo hose fits the golf servo nicely.
Wiring loom should be back tomorrow too
Tomorrow's list is
Run clutch pipe and bleed
Finish intercooler pipework
Fit rad and hoses
Fit boost and egr valves
Mabye start on exhaust……..

Back to the top
 :thumbs:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Here's the pics I didn't take last night!

Today I managed to get the fuel system finished, run my clutch pipe along the bulkhead, wired up my reverse light switch, run the mk4 battery terminals and earth leads, replaced the dodgy wiring connections on the dash loom, replaced fog light and heated rear window and dashboard plugs as mine were missing or badly wired up!! connected the original jetta wiring to the battery terminals and started to do a systems check of all things original jetta, not a bad start, few bad earth connections on the rear lights and a few bulbs and all was good! Well I say all Is good apart from I have reverse lights on all the time! Think I need a new switch as if I unplug it they go off, Even checked the dash panel, temp gauge and fuel gauge work fine, illumination working fine, set the clock and even that started ticking away! Still awaiting my engine wiring loom, I was hoping for it today but should be tomorrow, awaiting my heater duct for the the screen vents as mine was missing then I can get the dash in, will be nice to have the interior all back together again, my new brakes arrived today, 256mm disks and vauxhall pads and brake hoses, I'm awaiting my calipers and carriers to arrive then I will get it fitted. All in all good progress for today, just awaiting parts now till I can continue……

Back to the top
Nice work again mate. Progressing along quickly by the looks of it.

Smudger

Back to the top
Cheers smudger, if I'm honest I'm getting bored of looking at it sat there all sorry for itself and having to push it in all the time! Just wana hear her run now, but still trying to resist rushing! Want to take my time and do things properly, it will get there, I hope to have my loom back and fitted before the weekend, at the mo I'm just trying to get all the little jobs done so when it does arrive I can just concentrate on that then, still got exhaust to think about, cooling system is just about worked out,( for future reference a mk3 golf top hose part no 1ho121101b) is perfect for the top hose, once I've finished messing about with the intercooler I will fit the rad and fill it with coolant…….

Back to the top
Looking a tidy install that ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Jessie is running! Wiring loo arrived back from Vagtronics today, got cracking after work and had her running by 7.30!! Still got lots to do but big milestone reached tonight, also received my calipers and sent them to be powder coated, going to re-seal them and get them fitted this weekend, also had my wheels back and am awaiting tyres tomorrow.
Few pics
Ecu mounted above fusebox and wiring running across heater box, new relay box and fuse box not fitted yet till I get the dash back in

Calipers been powder coated chrome, will contrast the wheels nicely

And my wheels

More updates tomorrow

Back to the top
At this rate I will have the whole car build by next weekend!
Took 20ltrs of diesel into work this morning thought I better put some fresh in as it's been sitting a while and It only had 2 litres in it! PGot my intercooler pipework back today, all fitted, looks nice and neat, one small issue I found is that now it's back on the floor one boost hose is very close to the driveshaft, need to remake it and rotate the turbo for some more clearance. tyres also arrived today so got straight onto fitting them, 165/50/15 on a 7j rim, bit of stretch but not extreme, easy to fit the tyre but a nightmare to get to seat on the bead! Had to cheat and use a cheataha to get them on, balanced up tidy and got them on! My brake caliper seals and fitting kit arrived today, got them rebuild today and going to fit them tomorrow along with the new disks, pads and hoses. While I'm still waiting for my coolant bottle and a few other bits, I'm going to tidy the wiring loom up and get the bulkhead grommet fitted and get the relay board and fusebox mounted aswell, I also started to make my downpipe today, I've got from the turbo to just pass the steering rack, replace the plug on my wiper motor plug to the  mk2 motor plug and get them adjusted, more tomorrow…..
Few pics

Back to the top
looking good fella

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Coming along nice dude!

Love the intercooler piping and welding!  Want to run mine tidy like that!

Mk1 Jetta. Soon to be running bonkers Mtdi :thumbs:

Back to the top
Not done much today, got some extra wires run in the engine loom today, re taped it all back up with cloth loom tape, all shaped tidy around the bay, got the heater pipes and heater valve connected, didn't get round to fitting the new brakes, the loom took me longer than expected, so maybe Monday I will get the brakes sorted and bled.
Wiper motor wiring all sorted.

More soon……

Back to the top
Evening all, stayed on tonight after work to get a bit more done, coolant bottle and cap arrived on Monday, along with the bottle sensor and cooling fan today, so tonight I got my cooling system finished and could finally run it for more than 2 mins, got it plugged into my snap-on scanner and was reading all values and readings whilst it was warming up, everything running as it should be and only had 3 codes stored for loss of communication with abs/airbag/instrument cluster ecu's, otherwise she was all clear! got it up to temp and the thermostat to open and then shut her off, still need to finish my exhaust, I've got the downpipe made and it now stops just before the gear linkage, my pipe bender is back tomorrow so will get the rest sorted tomorrow, dash parts haven't arrived yet so still no dash fitted, spun the turbo housing some more and now the pipe cleares the driveshaft, just awaiting the hard pipe to come back.
Sent my spare hubs to the machine shop today too, I've bought some track rod end reversal bushes, as I'm running it quite low I had massive bump stear, so these bushes fit the tre from the bottom to give a more positive steering feel.
Once there back I will fit the new bearings, hubs, brakes, and fit the helper springs onto the coilovers, and get the ride height, tracking and camber all setup then. I can see the finish line and can't wait for the first test drive!.,

Back to the top
when you drive it your smile will touch your ears  :thumbs:
Bert

Back to the top
Im thinkin of changing 5th gear at some point, I've worked out that with my tyres and gear ratio at 4500rpm in 5th I should be doing 120mph, so going to change the gear set, to lower the rpm slightly, but going to try it first, I remember on my old mk1 aaz, it would fly up through the gears and leave everything standing off the line, but didn't have much speed top end….. Time will tell!

Back to the top
I got to third and chickened out lol will let you know about fifth when I get brave  :thumbs:  and taxed
Bert

Back to the top
Small update guys, modified hubs came back this morning, had the tre reversal bushes fitted, so carried on to fit the new bearings and replaced the drive flanges too, while I was replacing the hubs I removed the coilovers to fit the helper springs, and set the ride height, so then carried on and fitted my vauxhall calipers and carriers, went for the 256 option as I couldn't fit the 280 under the ats cups. Going to change both rack ends and track rod ends so I can have adjustable tracking on both sides on Saturday morning and go for tracking straight after. I adjusted it today and I have hardly any adjustment left and I think it's still toeing out a bit, steering feels horrible!!
Still no heater vent ducting, so still no dash fitted! I hope it arrives tomorrow, can get the dash fitted tomorrow night if it arrives in the post. Then my interior is done. More tomorrow………..

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:
There are too many online users to list.