Skip navigation

1983 Alpine White Gti Restoration

Back to the top
Small up date took abit of thinking but the bodyshop offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on dynamat.

I went for the lightweight as I don't want to increase the weight horrendously. doors, quarter, bulkhead and floor to be done. hopefully make the car a little more refined

loom back in for the headlining to be put back in.

Back to the top
Be great if you have this done for Bristol Volksfest be great to see it and meet ya :-)

Also keep an eye out for a convoy from Southwest / Bristol up t0 the AGM, you don't wana miss the AGM best weekend of the year  :)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
Looking nice…

Wish the underside of mine was that clean!

Back to the top
Looks stunning mate, so nice!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Again a slight update, Sadly I didn't make it to the agm but hopeful for next year.
in fact hopeful to make it to a show by the end of the season not much time left!!

Exhaust wrap on after cooking everything before the rebuild

Doesn't quite look so good when everything else is in

Dynamat in.

Back to the top
Looks good to me. Good call on the Dynamat  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking good mate, must be nice to be putting it all back together :)

Back to the top
thanks guys, by the end of this week I should have the exhaust system done, because of the tall block  the manifold had to be heated and bent to pass. meaning a new centre section.

from there its off to the rolling road for set up.

Back to the top
Happy days mate :cool:

Back to the top
Small Update, Been waiting to get the car back from the tuners so I could get It back and start putting everything on. car came back to the body shop where we could start assembling everything I got exterior trim on and started putting the dashboard in.

but the clocks got smashed while being poorly balanced by the tuners, so need to find some new MFA clocks. couldn't put anymore dash in as its first bit in. was able to test the electrics with the clocks and all is up and running.

along with the clocks a few bodywork scratches and some dirtying up of the engine bay.

gotta say I wasn't best pleased. they wanted the car to be more up together before it got to them glad it wasn't otherwise id probably have damaged wings bonnet and interior.

I was waiting to finally hear the car run but when turning the key it wouldn't fire up tested spark and fuel but only had a few minutes. heard it pop and crank.

couple of quick snaps I took new the end of the day is all I have but enjoy.

Back to the top
Car looks good but shame about the damage, that's not good  :(

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Very annoying for you with the damage, b**ger  :dry:

Still looks great though  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Looks mega, amazing car.

Back to the top
Fab work. Before you fit the grill and dash..... Get some matt black paint and spray the front panel supports in front of radiator and the corners of the inside of the A-pillar/windscreen frame behind where the dash fits.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments, seats should be done mid January windows carpets and seats to go in around then.

Early-1800 said

Fab work. Before you fit the grill and dash….. Get some matt black paint and spray the front panel supports in front of radiator and the corners of the inside of the A-pillar/windscreen frame behind where the dash fits.

I get the spraying behind the grille but why the a pillars? there covered by the headlining. would the supports behind the grille have been sprayed in the factory?

Back to the top

mattgee said

Thanks for the comments, seats should be done mid January windows carpets and seats to go in around then.

Early-1800 said

Fab work. Before you fit the grill and dash….. Get some matt black paint and spray the front panel supports in front of radiator and the corners of the inside of the A-pillar/windscreen frame behind where the dash fits.

I get the spraying behind the grille but why the a pillars? there covered by the headlining. would the supports behind the grille have been sprayed in the factory?

I think the black needs to be along the inside of the windscreen scuttle/ bulkhead so you don't see body colour between the edge of the top of the dash and the windscreen rubber when sat inside.

Back to the top
Yomp's correct, the lower corners can be seen where the dash and A-pillar trim doesn't cover the metalwork, will stick out esp on a white car.

On my '82 1.8 GTI both areas were matt black. You see lots of MK1s being touted as original and unrepaired but the front panel support is body colour as its nearly always over looked.

Back to the top
ha jesus, just had to google image it and never noticed that before. my car has definatly had a front end spray before me then as was white before. just went back to the first page of my rebuild and can actually see the matte black strip under dash. will have to get on those bits.

thanks for that

Back to the top

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.