Skip navigation

Any young mk1 drivers?

Back to the top

Insurance

My plan is to restore the car over this winter, get it how I want it and start using it when I'm 18 so the insurance will be abit lower and will have a years driving behind me

Back to the top
Im 17 and on a multi car policy (I think) as a named driver my dad being the main driver and it works out about £500 a year which isnt too bad, and they said all mods are fine if it doesnt change from how I bought it which is odd :s

'83 1.3 Golf Driver GT - Project thread
Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Im 19 with 0 no claims with a mk1 gti cabriolet (1.8 not the 1.6) thats £1253, valued at £2500, its weird that with them a mk1 tintop gti is only £1048  both of these prices are fully comp insurance too:) hope this helps someone.

Back to the top
Being over 25 helps, I'm 27 now paying £190/yr on a classic policy (it's my 2nd car). I paid £173 last year through Sureterm Direct however their prices went up, now with adrian flux.

Back to the top
At 17 i insured my 1.1c in my own name Fully comp for £2600
At 18 with 1years no claims still fully comp for £1350
I have a friend age 17 that has a 1.8 cabby, and paying around £4000!
I dont use mine as a daily so its social domestic and pleasure only. Have another car i own and use everyday.
Hope this gives realistic figures for you.

My 1983 Golf C

Back to the top
Ouch! £2600 is more than I paid for my car!!

Back to the top
I got my gti at 21, think I paid around £500 then, there after never paid no more than £300 and that was with an IN10 that I picked up when I was 19  :rolleyes:  (don't ride your friends motorbike down the road)

its been off the road a year now but I got a quote with adian flux for £295 with a guaranteed valuation of 15k cars not home yet but was good to get a figure.

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

Ouch! £2600 is more than I paid for my car!!

It was for me too mate, i only gave 1700 for mine unmodified - lucky steal as its a nice one!

My 1983 Golf C

Back to the top

MaxVW said

MK1CabbyWhite said

sweetmk1dub said

I insured a mk1 gti at 19 for just over a grand (had to insure it as a first car as I only had a few months No claims) gets better as you get older though.  Now 33 and have my oettinger mk1 on a classic policy for £160

Wow, first cars for me are going to be thousands, let alone a gti

You'd be surprised, a mk2 GTi 8v is 1100 for me. 16v is few hundred quid more…

so it that a first car? And at what age with how much ncd

Back to the top

MK1CabbyWhite said

MaxVW said

MK1CabbyWhite said

sweetmk1dub said

I insured a mk1 gti at 19 for just over a grand (had to insure it as a first car as I only had a few months No claims) gets better as you get older though.  Now 33 and have my oettinger mk1 on a classic policy for £160

Wow, first cars for me are going to be thousands, let alone a gti

You'd be surprised, a mk2 GTi 8v is 1100 for me. 16v is few hundred quid more…

so it that a first car? And at what age with how much ncd

I'm 19 with no no claims bonus :)
Had my license since I was 17 :)

An MX5 is only 1k for me, try quotezone.co.uk

Back to the top
That's good! I think it's literally because I'm only 17 not 18 or above it makes that difference, hope fully will get a sensible quote next year! What policy is that with mate?

Back to the top
As above,

19 with 0 no claims

Back to the top

MaxVW said

As above,

19 with 0 no claims

Sorry about that it didn't come up as I sent it

Back to the top

MK1CabbyWhite said

MaxVW said

As above,

19 with 0 no claims

Sorry about that it didn't come up as I sent it

No worries :)

Back to the top
A company called equity red star is the best I could find, i'm 18 and have a 1.6 diesel mk1 golf all other insurers quoted me arund 2.5k a year equity red star quoted 1.2k a year, still expensive but very cheap compared to all other insurers.

Back to the top

JackW94 said

A company called equity red star is the best I could find, i'm 18 and have a 1.6 diesel mk1 golf all other insurers quoted me arund 2.5k a year equity red star quoted 1.2k a year, still expensive but very cheap compared to all other insurers.

Wow, that is pretty pricey still!

Back to the top

MK1CabbyWhite said

That's good! I think it's literally because I'm only 17 not 18 or above it makes that difference, hope fully will get a sensible quote next year! What policy is that with mate?

I'm with elephant, third party fire and theft. 
I use Quotezone, admiral have been the best prices recently.

Back to the top
25, female and I pay 1000 for my 1.8 cabrio. No years claims though ^.^

Back to the top
I'm with elephant too, admiral seems to be slightly cheaper but elephant is owned by admiral anyway. Mines about 600 third party fire and theft on my 1.1 with modifications declared ie lowered, 19 with 0 ncm, got my licence about a year ago, insured the mk1 about half a year later.

when i was 18 i had quotes of around 2000, then went down by about 6 or 800 (cant really remember) with the gender directive then halved in price when i turned 19. I used Go Compare as i found that to be the best

'83 formel e

Back to the top

Jayde said

25, female and I pay 1000 for my 1.8 cabrio. No years claims though ^.^

That's outrageously expensive! I advise you shop around!
Unless wherever you live gets a car nicked every other day ??
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.