Skip navigation

Any young mk1 drivers?

Back to the top

Insurance

Was wondering if there are any young mk1 drivers on here and how difficult it is to insure a mk1? I'm doing a 1.8 Clipper as a project, but I'm 17 so driving it at the moment is probably a long shot… But it's a fun project nonetheless

Cheers

Back to the top
i was 21 when i bought my clipper, dont bother with classic car insurance just go with a normal company the cheapest for me was tesco as i got a massive discount for using club card

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Hi,

Okay thanks for that will keep it in mind, the car has an immobiliser and I have a brick garage in my garden to keep it safe so that might help, but expecting it to be a lot still

Back to the top
17 with my 'c'. I am on my parents fleet policy though so it is easier, bit I don't think the small blocks are bad on insurance. 

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

17 with my 'c'. I am on my parents fleet policy though so it is easier, bit I don't think the small blocks are bad on insurance. 

Funnily enough I'm on my dads traders policy, trying to work out if I'm covered for the 1.8

Back to the top
Ah OK, you might be OK, they didn't want me with a gti, but I am allowed to drive my parents Octavia which is quicker than my 1.3.

Back to the top
I'm 19 and the policy holder on my 1.1 (first car), no trouble with that, a 1.8 however might be a bit tricky, i had friends who couldn't insure a 1.8 mk2 when they were 17, but as above you might be alright on your dads traders policy or normal policy as a named driver

'83 formel e

Back to the top
I'm 22 and pay £560 a year for my mk1. That's with a bike carbed 1.4 16v engine and everything else declared too. Cheap insurance is out there but you just have to look for it. This is on a modified classic policy.

Rob

Back to the top
i'm 22 with a 1.8 cabriolet, im insured with a company adrian flux found me, £430 later and im also insured on any other car third party. i agree with arf333 in not going to classic car, for one you dont earn normal no claims bonuses, so insurance on a modern car would be more expensive down the road. also adrian flux are relaxed with modifications if there are any to be of have been made :) 

Back to the top
Thanks for the advise guys, will keep it in mind

If it comes to it and I just can't insure it I think I'll finish it and chop it in for a tin top 1.3 or something like that

Back to the top
Here's me feeling old….. 31 with a cabby. With all the mods £900 best quote I've had so far! :'(

Back to the top

Imshrekstwinbrother said

Here's me feeling old….. 31 with a cabby. With all the mods £900 best quote I've had so far! :'(

Sorry about that haha! Wow that seems like alot, guess the mods really knock the premiums up

Back to the top

MK1CabbyWhite said

Imshrekstwinbrother said

Sorry about that haha! Wow that seems like alot, guess the mods really knock the premiums up

Haha no worries. Just me feeling old lol

My cabby has a 2.0 Rocco engine in and the £900 was for that included.

Problem is I only have 2 years no claims as I have previously had motorbikes and they won't let you transfer no claims over which is rather annoying to say the least.

Think if you get a decent insurer your ok but it's a sad fact that insurance costs are going up :(

Back to the top
i was 19 when i brought my 1.3 tintop, and my insurance was £1700 mods declared (lowered, non standard alloys) Third party F&T and that was with no NCD. now im on my second year and its dropped to £1000. Renewal comes up early next year. hopeing to be around the 700-800 mark :)

Oh and no one would insure me on a 1.6 tin top for less that 2.5k  :o

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY

Back to the top
Not insured mine yet, but it's gunna cost me £17 to swap it.

And all of that will be the admin fee. 
My current policy was£700 on my 1.3 Jetta :)

Edit- and mines a 1.5gl

Oh and I'm 19 with 0 no claims.

Would be the same price if I wanted to swap it for a Mk4 golf 1.9tdi estate too.

Back to the top
I insured a mk1 gti at 19 for just over a grand (had to insure it as a first car as I only had a few months No claims) gets better as you get older though.  Now 33 and have my oettinger mk1 on a classic policy for £160

Back to the top

sweetmk1dub said

I insured a mk1 gti at 19 for just over a grand (had to insure it as a first car as I only had a few months No claims) gets better as you get older though.  Now 33 and have my oettinger mk1 on a classic policy for £160

Wow, first cars for me are going to be thousands, let alone a gti

Back to the top

MK1CabbyWhite said

sweetmk1dub said

Wow, first cars for me are going to be thousands, let alone a gti

You'd be surprised, a mk2 GTi 8v is 1100 for me. 16v is few hundred quid more…

Back to the top
I'm 18 and I am insured over my dads company. In other words the car is company's property and therefore insurance rates are way lower! Not sure if that applies to you, but you might consider looking in to it :)

Best of luck!:)

Back to the top

matukash said

I'm 18 and I am insured over my dads company. In other words the car is company's property and therefore insurance rates are way lower! Not sure if that applies to you, but you might consider looking in to it :)

Best of luck!:)

I'm already on that but doesn't cover me to drive a 1.8 :(
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.