Skip navigation

The 'UNOFFICIAL' Road Trip Wörthersee 2015.

Back to the top

'Unsupported', so who's up for it?

Hello all, yes we're up for it. Why has it been suggested to arrive early and leave before the main event? Is there stuff going on in the build up to it and the show no good? O_o

Back to the top

arnoldlog said

golfcabrio said

arnoldlog said

I'm torn between worthersee and MIVW in holland, I dont have enough holidays for both.

Have you done either one before?

no but I've spent time in that part of holland before, and its less driving from the uk, although similar cost i guess.
I'll look into it when I get home, work out which i want to do and look at some costs too.

Fair one!  :thumbs:
On this post your not (no one is) signing their life away.
You should do what works best for you, as we all will.  :)

You've got the extra fuel costs etc… but when you get up in the morning what would you rather see out of you window, Holland or the Austrian Alps?  :lol:

Mind you it could be raining in one or other location or both.  :lol:

'Best laid plans of Mice and Men' and all that!  :lol:

Back to the top
Graham - JettyJ

Yeh Newcastle crossing makes sence for us up North 

Will have a look in to it and hopefully get something sorted soon.

Cheers

stretch

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
Stretch and Jetty J

I am looking at on the way home popping in to the Nurbergring on the 2nd June.

This years price is 26 euros for a lap in your own car.

Dates I am looking to book the ferry for is outbound 25th May return Ferry 3rd June.

Graham

Back to the top
At the weekend I'll start looking for places to stay.
The week before should be easier to book but it's something that has to be done real soon.

I will be booking for me 3 or 4 star, classic Austrian.
No swimming pool and all that stuff but with a bar!  :lol:

I'll get a few links together and post them up but remember I've not been they before either and the lake (See) is LARGE!  O_o
It would make sense if we all stay in the same town or Village, otherwise some poor sods might have to drive all the way to the other side after dinner for example!!!

That could take an hour (I guess).

I'll ask around and get back to you all with one or two ideas of which places (towns whatever) we could stay in.

Stay tuned.  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

GGIFA said

Stretch and Jetty J

Dates I am looking to book the ferry for is outbound 25th May return Ferry 3rd June.

Graham

Was thinking that myself Graham !! Would be rude not to really. Would like to see the vw museum too.

April 14, 2005

Back to the top

stretch said

GGIFA said

Stretch and Jetty J

Graham

Was thinking that myself Graham !! Would be rude not to really. Would like to see the vw museum too.

Yeah def up for the ring and the vw museum - but would prefer to go the week before the event and meet up with all the others at Worthersee too.

Back to the top

golfcabrio said

At the weekend I'll start looking for places to stay.
The week before should be easier to book but it's something that has to be done real soon.

I will be booking for me 3 or 4 star, classic Austrian.
No swimming pool and all that stuff but with a bar!  :lol:

I'll get a few links together and post them up but remember I've not been they before either and the lake (See) is LARGE!  O_o
It would make sense if we all stay in the same town or Village, otherwise some poor sods might have to drive all the way to the other side after dinner for example!!!

That could take an hour (I guess).

I'll ask around and get back to you all with one or two ideas of which places (towns whatever) we could stay in.

Stay tuned.  :thumbs:

Perfect. Cheers

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
If you want 10,000 drunk Germans, rough strippers, booze, chav cars and a party then go the week of the show.

If you want to go the worlds greatest VW gathering, then go the week before.

If you decide to go the show week then bear in mind that the 'show' is Wednesday and Thursday (religious holiday) and by Friday its a post appocalyptic ghost town.

We always used to stay with family Dermuth in Portschach, they have 3 large hotels in the town with plenty of good parking. We'd then use the speedboat taxis to get us around the lake (if we weren't driving)

More recently we've stayed in Velden, but it can be somewhat more expensive.

The last couple of years at lot of the meets have been gravitating towards Faaker See, which is quite a way out. So much so that last yeat the MIVW guys actually stayed in FaakerSee.

For a day out I would strongly recommend a trip up the Malta Pass.. especially in a group of mk1's :)You can start with visit to the small Porsche museum in Gmund, then drive up through Malta to the dam and have snowball fights :)

Back to the top
Some good info there addicted - thanks. :thumbs:

Back to the top

Yomp said

No problem :)I've been going since 2001, usually for a week, sometimes 2. I love the place, even without the VWs. I've even considered buying a place out there! :)Other places to consider visiting are:

Bled, Slovenia, driving out via the WurzenPass and returning via the Loibltunnel. Lake Bled is one of the most beautiful places and those roads there and back are stunning..

and, of course, the mighty Grossglockner pass… although its often still closed by snow in May..

Next year I may even be in my mk1!

Back to the top

Yomp said

I second that!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Im interested not 100% though

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

Im interested not 100% though

What's holding you back mate?  O_o

Mike.

Back to the top

addicted said

If you want 10,000 drunk Germans, rough strippers, booze, chav cars and a party then go the week of the show.

If you want to go the worlds greatest VW gathering, then go the week before.

If you decide to go the show week then bear in mind that the 'show' is Wednesday and Thursday (religious holiday) and by Friday its a post appocalyptic ghost town.

We always used to stay with family Dermuth in Portschach, they have 3 large hotels in the town with plenty of good parking. We'd then use the speedboat taxis to get us around the lake (if we weren't driving)

More recently we've stayed in Velden, but it can be somewhat more expensive.

The last couple of years at lot of the meets have been gravitating towards Faaker See, which is quite a way out. So much so that last yeat the MIVW guys actually stayed in FaakerSee.

For a day out I would strongly recommend a trip up the Malta Pass.. especially in a group of mk1's :)You can start with visit to the small Porsche museum in Gmund, then drive up through Malta to the dam and have snowball fights :)

Well I for one am up for 'Portschach'.
Smack bang in the middle and not far from the A2 Sud Autobahn.

I've just had a quick look at booking.com and came up with these Hotels but these are covering what I'm looking for.
Your needs and mine will differ of course.  :)
Look down the left hand side and you should see what my preferences are.

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-us.html?aid=303948;label=portschach-am-worthersee-_f8uyviw6_OApfvkWqEB0AS8394708981;sid=39777bee2954e6efb15fd43e38d74077;dcid=1;city=-1988283;class_interval=1;csflt=%7B%7D;dtdisc=0;inac=0;interval_of_time=undef;or_radius=0;redirected_from_city=0;redirected_from_landmark=0;review_score_group=empty;score_min=0;ss_all=0;ssb=empty;;nflt=class%3D4%3Bclass%3D5%3Breview_score%3D80%3Bhotelfacility%3D96%3Bhotelfacility%3D2%3Bhotelfacility%3D4%3Bhotelfacility%3D3%3B;track_ajax_filters=1

One or two really stand out but I'll look at this in more detail over the next 3 or 4 weeks.   :thumbs:

I will go the week before and I'm really looking forward to it now!  :lol:

Hope a few make it over.   :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Should point out that I'm going up market from my earlier plans for somewhere to stay and thought S0D the cost, treat myself.
Now to convince the wife!  O_o

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Golf Cabrio

Just booked into Hotel Diana in Portschach am Worthersee  28th May through to the 1st June.

Thanks for your help with the info.

Graham

Back to the top

GGIFA said

Golf Cabrio

Just booked into Hotel Diana in Portschach am Worthersee  28th May through to the 1st June.

Thanks for your help with the info.

Graham

Your very welcome Graham.

I'm not going for the main event but the week before.
Not into Mk1's converted into rock stage sounds systems and bronzed boys shouting "Hey look at the size of my Auspuff (exhaust).  :lol:

But we'll all have a good time no matter when we go over that ten day period!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I'm up fo this, I can finally afford to go & have a Mk1 that works  :lol:

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top

adi3390 said

Great, hope we can meet up!  :thumbs:

Looks like we going to have two groups, one for the week before and one for the event itself.
Which is great because that way we keep everyone HAPPY!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Back to the top

golfcabrio said

adi3390 said

Great, hope we can meet up!  :thumbs:

Looks like we going to have two groups, one for the week before and one for the event itself.
Which is great because that way we keep everyone HAPPY!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Yeah good plan! The week before for me - there are some great driving roads and places to stay in the Black Forest if anyone else is up for a route via there on the way there or back?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.