Skip navigation

Like Zender?

Back to the top

Back to the top
I love those Turbo 2 rims.  :wub:

Back to the top
Cheers for that  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Have some more stuff but being Zender it's all odd sizes and shapes and a pain to scan.

There's one brochure with 240 odd pages and I'd break the spine if I tried.

Here's something for the real anoraks… A trade brochure outlining point of sale items and other advertising for Zender dealers.

Back to the top
Just picked up a set of turbo 2's. Love them. Not sure how to refurb them yet, and don't have the vario ring, but could get something made up when i decide how i want them. Love some of the zender stuff.

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top

smokeybubbles said

Just picked up a set of turbo 2's. Love them. Not sure how to refurb them yet, and don't have the vario ring, but could get something made up when i decide how i want them. Love some of the zender stuff.
Piccies please… The more the better!

(Some inspiration…)

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Bacardincoke said

I have to admit to liking most things Zender, but I'm also the first to admit I'm probably in the minority.

There's a general misconception Zender went bust in 2008, when in reality they only moved away from the developing and selling of their own brand after market add ons.

The company still exist and is now even stronger than ever concentrating instead on supplying big name car makers with body and trim parts.

If you're interested in the brand and its history (which in no small part involves VW and the MK1) they have recently expanded some of their existing sites, plus added a few more… The links are below.

http://www.zender.it/

http://www.zender.eu/Zender_Italy.html

http://www.zender.de/modcenter/index.php

http://www.zentec-automotive.de/?structure=content&cat_id=6

http://www.zender-exklusiv-auto.de/go.to/modix/now/home-de.html

A friend of mine was the 2nd owner in the late 80's of the golf in your sig :0)

Restored 1961 Mk1 Mini Misses drives a 10 plate bmw mini cooper d sports pack Me drives a 61 plated C220 CDI Restored 1960\'s forecourt petrol pump 1964 P4 Rover 110 resorted by my dad 23 years ago On the look out for LBD 376Y

Back to the top

Mortz said

Bacardincoke said

I have to admit to liking most things Zender, but I'm also the first to admit I'm probably in the minority.

There's a general misconception Zender went bust in 2008, when in reality they only moved away from the developing and selling of their own brand after market add ons.

The company still exist and is now even stronger than ever concentrating instead on supplying big name car makers with body and trim parts.

If you're interested in the brand and its history (which in no small part involves VW and the MK1) they have recently expanded some of their existing sites, plus added a few more… The links are below.

http://www.zender.it/

http://www.zender.eu/Zender_Italy.html

http://www.zender.de/modcenter/index.php

http://www.zentec-automotive.de/?structure=content&cat_id=6

http://www.zender-exklusiv-auto.de/go.to/modix/now/home-de.html

A friend of mine was the 2nd owner in the late 80's of the golf in your sig :0)

Here it is just in front of the Nova SR !

Restored 1961 Mk1 Mini Misses drives a 10 plate bmw mini cooper d sports pack Me drives a 61 plated C220 CDI Restored 1960\'s forecourt petrol pump 1964 P4 Rover 110 resorted by my dad 23 years ago On the look out for LBD 376Y

Back to the top
A fellow member sent me a few pix of this golf….this was taken a few years ago from my understanding…some bellend has changed the front grill and I hear those lovely wheels have gone too :-(

Why…why…ohhh why!!!

I have soo much history with this Golf…never owned it but will some day :-)

Back to the top
I'm really hoping you've a lot more pics like that… A Helios Blue Z20 MK1 is the absolute pinnacle as far I'm concerned, it's great to find a like minded fan.

Seeing pics at the time of GT 100 in the June '83 Hot Car Magazine is what got me smitten with Zender and then much later to find images of LBD 376Y and A175 HAD on the inter-web just rekindled it.

I keep any images I find of them, not that there seems to be many so you've likely already got some or all of these but here they are anyway…

LBD -

Back to the top
HAD - Before and I think it's the same car after.

Back to the top
GT 100 -

Back to the top
Love the interior. Thanks for uploading mate. Very interesting stuff.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Bacardincoke said

I'm really hoping you've a lot more pics like that… A Helios Blue Z20 MK1 is the absolute pinnacle as far I'm concerned, it's great to find a like minded fan.

Seeing pics at the time of GT 100 in the June '83 Hot Car Magazine is what got me smitten with Zender and then much later to find images of LBD 376Y and A175 HAD on the inter-web just rekindled it.

I keep any images I find of them, not that there seems to be many so you've likely already got some or all of these but here they are anyway…

LBD -

Ahhh it's nice to see some fresh pictures of the old girl…..i have more memories than pictures!

For those who would like to hear them….here they are

I 1st laid eyes on LBD376Y when i was 16 years of age…( im now 40) at the time friends were a good few years older than I , one mate had a mk1 GTI in White with a BBS kits with BBS wheels…god we did some pullin in that golf :-)….anyways i heard that one of my mates mates just bought a mk1 golf with some wicked looking kit on it and went like stink…i 1st bumped into LBD in Margam ( South Wales) and thought OMG!…what an amazing looking GTI……it was gleaming!….looked so aggresive with a purposeful looking stance….in modern day termenology ( it looked the bo**ocks ) i used to see LBD so often but only got to sat in it once as passaenger but knew this was summit special.

I remember being devastated at one point as LBD recieved a nudge from the rear on the M4 by a lorry and spun her round into another vehicle…..requiring a new front end….new Zender kit front and rear with some jig treatment to straighten her out….the repair was never recorded/ insurance as the owner at the time had a well paid job, i remember going to see it during state of repair….ohh i felt sooo sick!…..anyways a few weeks later she was back on the road…

Contrary to what some people report it still has the correct RE2000 conversion….no it does not..during my friends ownership it went pop!…sending its internals across the M4 motorway…. a standard replacement was soon bought not long after….he kep't the knackered  engine in his sheed for a while, it is now  resting under his mams patio and has been for many many years.

The steering wheel that currently sits on LBD although is a GTI engineering wheel…the original was a 3 spoke style which was sold to my mate mark who owned the white GTI BBS kitted golf.

Ownership of LBD was then transfered to his step dad to continue its daily use as my mate worked away a lot on the build of the channel tunnel ( yes back in the day! ).
His Step dad worked at Port Talbot Steel works at the time and drove it in and out there for a few years and pretty much wrecked it ( body work suffered )….I remember his step dad attempted to smarten it up by having a full re-spray in some horrid green colour….suffice to say it did not stay green for long and was sprayed back to Helios blue.

I tried to buy it a few times when i was a couple of years older but his step dad would not sell it.
So i took my eye off the ball for a few years and restored some other stuff.
I later found out he sold it to someone in Pontypridd, i was never to see it again :-(

Last edit: by Mortz

Back to the top
Great write-up and not hard to see why you're keen to track her down for reasons other than just it being a Z20 (Reason enough!). You think she's still out there somewhere, reasonably complete?

Were GT 100 and LBD one in the same car when that magazine article was written then?

You see GT 100 on quite a few GTiEngineering demonstrators over the years so presumably it was for show or re-registered sometime afterwards?

The prefix LBD on a Y is Northants in mid 1983, the time of the road test. I think I'm right in saying Silverstone would have been in that catchment area?

Back to the top

Bacardincoke said

Great write-up and not hard to see why you're keen to track her down for reasons other than just it being a Z20 (Reason enough!). You think she's still out there somewhere, reasonably complete?

Were GT 100 and LBD one in the same car when that magazine article was written then?

You see GT 100 on quite a few GTiEngineering demonstrators over the years so presumably it was for show or re-registered sometime afterwards?

The prefix LBD on a Y is Northants in mid 1983, the time of the road test. I think I'm right in saying Silverstone would have been in that catchment area?

Indeed  GT100 and LBD are the same vehicle 100% GT100 is just a show plate….LBD was owned by Brian London the Boxer who commisioned GTI Engineering to complete the re-work…this is what i was advised back in the day…..Brian london is definaltey a connection……my mates mum's attic has a folder  full of receipts n stuff of LBD i have know this for many years….LBD has not been on the road since last owner change back in 2008…so one of 3 things are going on….one 1 it's just sitting in someone's garage….2 it's being slowly restored or 3 it's scrapped…..not confident no 3 has happended with any luck :)

Back to the top
Then that makes LBD the car that I have to thank for my Zender addiction! Here's hoping she's still intact, waiting to be found… That would be a build thread worth following.

Back to the top

Bacardincoke said

Then that makes LBD the car that I have to thank for my Zender addiction! Here's hoping she's still intact, waiting to be found… That would be a build thread worth following.

Ummmm id love to bring her back home… would be worth the wait should she ever re-surface….right now id be happy to swap my current golf for LBD subject to current condition ofcourse! i heard it changed hands a fews years back for 700 bucks….be great if you could follow my rebuild thread :-)…got a few years left in me yet!

There are too many online users to list.