Skip navigation

Rallye

Back to the top
Few more bits on……………..

I'm now waiting for the Ultrasonic cleaning tank I've ordered to be able to start cleaning the bulk of the plastics, looms and various pipework now.

Back to the top
Graham, you are doing an excellent job on that engine :wub:  :wub:   Shall I just send my engine down to you to finish off?

Back to the top
Was gonna say that myself mate :lol: Got a few engine bits that need making beautiful again :)

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Shall I just send my engine down to you to finish off?

If ya like! - It'll get the very best in care!

Back to the top

smudger said

Was gonna say that myself mate :lol: Got a few engine bits that need making beautiful again :)

I've got vapour blasting facilities, 100L Ultrasonic cleaning tank (coming end of feb), steam cleaning.
Nearby access to powder coaters, platers, etc etc…. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Wow, er… wow!   :ocf_emoticons__notworthy:

Has the owner been over for a look yet?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looks incredible  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Has the owner been over for a look yet?

He lives only a couple of miles away so pops in regular.
It was good to show him some parts going back together at last!

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Looks incredible  :thumbs:

Thanks!

Back to the top
Back on the bodywork now………

The lower section of the rear panel was past its best and i was worried that finding a replacement was going to be impossible.
After missing out on a brand new complete rallye panel we were quite pleased when we found out the standard MK2 panel is virtually the same along the section we need. The only differences are the original panel has an indent in the middle which allows room for a factory fit tow bar. We think this indent is unique only to the later big bumper models as there's less room to get a towbar in.
This car actually had a factory fitted towbar as it used to tow a horse box apparently!
The rear panel part numbers on VAG CAT are the same for early small bumpers and the later big bumpers. The only difference for the big bumper is VAG CAT says "use workshop equipment to modify"! meaning bash it in with a big hammer if needed!
The other difference is the exhaust cut out is smaller but has the option to cut out the rest. Again apparently they're all like that.
Hairyarse - if you read this I'd be interested to know what your back panel is like on your valver if you get chance to have a look :thumbs:Later back panel…….  (cars upside down BTW)

Replacement earlier? back panel……

Now I have the section of rear panel removed. I've removed the tow hitch and body brackets to allow easier access to make the necessary repairs to the rear quarters.
Some welding work had already been carried out earlier on before the decision was taken to fully restore it. these repairs will now be made better or replaced now the car is inverted.

Now able to use a section of the lower rear quarter of the complete side thats been bought to improve the repair on this corner…..

The rear chassis legs were full of mud after spending its life on a farm delivering eggs and towing horse boxes which has lead to lots of little irritating bits of rot that need sorting. Most of these holes weren't visible until the underseal was removed….

More holes but genuine new fuel filler neck mounting panel fitted. Good old ebay!…..

Also got involved getting this old ex BT 1983 Bedford CF going today. The land lord bought it to put a clay pigeon trap on the lift. It's only done 50K and is rot free. Almost a classic in its own right!! :$

Last edit: by Yomp

Back to the top
Excellent work Yomp! Good news about the back panel not being too different, a big hammer always works :lol:

I can't believe that Rallye was used on a farm O_o  were they mad? :lol:

Back to the top
I bet the owner is really pleased with it ;)

No problem on the rear panel pic, but I wont see the car in daylight again until Saturday if that's soon enough?

Makes me laugh that VW had to 'modify' the panel  :lol:

I hope you let that chap back down again from the CF!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Got this made today……….

and fitted…….

Back to the top
Some great metalwork skills there :thumbs: you make it yourself?

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

you make it yourself?

I wish i could say yes but the metal work guru in the next unit to me made it!
I just did the dirty work, cut out the rot and fitted it. :lol:

Back to the top
Good fabrication skills, fits perfect!!  :)

Back to the top
Now that's how to make and fit a repair panel!  :thumbs:  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That's a superb job going on there Yomp, I'm following this and saving all the info I don't know just in case, great work !!!!! Would love to know how many of these still exist, there was rumour they never made the full 5000 and I've got a few panels I saved over the years so know of plenty that have been recycled.

It's been a while since I caught up with rallye parts , my ex used to have a green rs tech rallye a few years ago and it sheered the rubber doughnut on the front prop where it mounts the transfer box, these are obsolete and powerflex suggested they were going to make one if they could get one to copy, not sure it ever happened and we sourced one in wales, so I know the difficulty in getting certain parts.

Really going to enjoy following this.

Back to the top

Yomp said

jellybelly said

nice work graham

you fancy doing mine once your done?

:) You'll have to join the queue - I've got a series 1 GTI to do after this one.

Thats right Graham keep that queue in a orderly from!!

Back to the top
Talented man to make the panel, but the repair is equally as good  :thumbs:

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.