Skip navigation

Rallye

Back to the top
innit, if its recent pics and paint is as he described does not need alot and seems like a good buy :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
As i've been stripping it I've been compiling a list of what it needs.

Some items I know we can get from local motor factors such as wheel bearings etc but parts which are a bit more unique mean my first port of call has been VW themselves.

Just had the first compiled list back from VW today on price and availability and its not looking good on the availability of a lot of what I would class as replaceable parts, prop bearings, radiator, steering rack etc.

Next port of call will be Heritage VW and Classic parts in Germany.

Think I'll have to get the owner of the car to do some digging as well.

The one for sale on ebay looks good but knowing more each day about them I'd rather be buying a series 1. I think the parts are more easy to come by!

Back to the top
A few bits ready for blasting and powder coating…….

Back to the top
looks like an awesome project!
my mate in brackley has one and uses it as his daily.
he recomends dubforce for some bits. there are loads of rallye owners on there.

who is your pannel beater yomp? is he close?
i need a big dent knocking out of my santana

Back to the top

golf1980 said

looks like an awesome project!
my mate in brackley has one and uses it as his daily.
he recomends dubforce for some bits. there are loads of rallye owners on there.

who is your pannel beater yomp? is he close?
i need a big dent knocking out of my santana
Thanks for the info regards dubforce.
We're about half way between Banbury and Gaydon.

Back to the top
Have you contacted Simon? He runs the Rallye forum and Elsecar Rallye meet in April each year. 
If he doesn't have the contacts no one will.

UK Rallye Golf Club

http://www.volksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109143

Dan

Back to the top
Can get you all the part numbers for CV boots as got them for the Limited. Need to drop the rear beam on mine soon...might polybush it at the same time. What are you going to do with the diff?

Banner

Back to the top
Not looked into boot numbers yet
The rears look like standard 90mm. 
The prop ones look a bit special though.
Until I can find any sort of a repair manual then I'm leaving the diff alone.
I'm a little concerned about the amount of swarf that was stuck to the drain plug magnet on the front transfer box.
I've got a contact at vw main office in mk.
I'm going to contact him next to see if any manuals are available.

Back to the top
Small update…..

Been stripping most of the sub assemblies over the last few weeks to get bits available for plating, painting and powder coating etc.

Got this lot back at the weekend and have just spent the entire afternoon logging them all back into their relevant boxes and bags. There's about 600 parts shown in the photos.

I reckon this cars got twice as many parts as a MK1.

Slowly starting to gather parts from Heritage, VW, and anywhere else where we can find Rallye parts. - Not an easy task in itself!

Pics……

Should be another box full ready by the end of this week.

Back to the top
While I'm here does anyone know why the Rallye Block has this opening at the front into the water jacket?
Do any other big blocks have it? I can't say I've seen it before.

Back to the top
I've only ever seen it on a Rallye block - not sure why they did it - maybe cooling or some mad cap idea that got shelved and all the blocks had been machined ?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Couple of updates on this……..

During the stripping process we discovered the car is more rotten than initially thought which has put the original works scope out of the window!

Also the car at some stage in its life had replacement sills fitted that were not fitted very well.

We've managed to source a new rear quarter and sill for the left side but cannot get one for the right so will have to fabricate one from scratch.

New side…..

Decided to make a roll over jig to ease the work we now have to do to the underside…….

There are some floor pan strengtheners at the front of the pans which are rotten and are not the same as a standard MK2 Golf.

However they happen to be the same panel as fitted to all Corrados and are still available and currently have a pair on order with Heritage.

Once unclipped from the floor pan I found some minor holes in the pans themselves which will undergo repair……..

I was kind of hoping not to have to strip the dash out of the car but due to the rot in the pans means the carpet needed to come out.
Being a Rallye and having the tall tunnel running through the car means the heater box sits tight on the carpet and the only way to remove it all was to remove the entire dash, to remove the heater box, to remove the front carpet.

Now the car is 99% stripped the decision been taken to remove the underseal from the car and get the underside bead blasted.

I'm 90% through stripping the underseal and have  found a couple of other small holes under what looked like solid underseal so removing it has been a good decision.

Regards the original scope of the mechanicals,

The engine has been rebored by Jabba and is currently at the balancers.

Gearbox finished……

However I do have an issue with the transfer box.
The rallye transfer box is different to a normal syncro and has a cast iron casing as opposed to an aluminium one as fitted to the syncro.
The cast casing has a roller bearing which carries the front of the pinion gear. This bearing is a special and is as good as obsolete.
I've manged to locate a bearing in turkey but will not hold my breath until it lands.

The bearing runs directly on the pinion itself which is also shot and also needs replacing.

Heritage have quoted for this but until I know we can get the bearing then we don't want to order £500 worth of pinion gears..
The next issue will be putting it back together. There are numurous shims and preloads but we have yet to locate anyone with the details on how it should be set up.

(It took 8ft of pipe and bolting the spanner down to get the drive flange nut off!)……

Back to the top
Great stuff mate !!

Now that is what I call a bar :-)

A bit more work than originally expected then

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
That's a great find on the side panel.

Nice work

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
Lovely restoration, that side panel must have been difficult to find!

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Now that is what I call a bar :-)

Thought I was going to twist the bench off the wall! :lol:

Back to the top

Darren5591 said

Lovely restoration, that side panel must have been difficult to find!

Classic parts in Germany supplied it via Heritage.

Back to the top
This is an epic job, nice ingenuity too! Looking forward to your updates ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

This is an epic job, nice ingenuity too! Looking forward to your updates ;)

Cheers Andy!

I wasn't really into Rallye's but getting into this has made me realise just how much work and money must have gone into them just to sell only 5000.
There are a lot of parts which are unique to this model and makes you appreciate why they were twice the price of a standard GTI.

Also, I was working on it the other day and a news report came on the radio saying it was the 25th anniversary of the Lockerbie Disaster.

I never knew until researching the Rallye that VW America lost its CEO and marketing director on that flight.
They were returning from VW Germany where they had been discussing the possibility of selling the Rallye in America.

The plans got shelved following the attack.

Back to the top
Blimey I never knew that! I didn't know either how much extra went in to this car like on the floor pans

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
There are too many online users to list.