Skip navigation

Lemon Yellow Tin top Restoration

Back to the top
love this a proper resto project keep it up the end result will be so rewarding

Back to the top
Thanks everyone. Got some more done today. Again welds will be smoothed off, zinc primed and seam sealer applied

Last edit: by mk1newbie

Back to the top
Today's work

Any areas of the car that may have surface rust from when its been worked on will be re sandblasted before the primer and seam sealer is applied. Just trying to get all the welding work done first.

Welds will be smoothed off before spraying

Welds will be smoothed off. The Seam sealer in this photo has bubbled up after some welding work on the inside and will be cleaned off and re-applied after primer

Fuel filler repair panel welded in. The welds need smoothing off a bit more and then a skim of filer

Repaired the inside of were the fuel filler neck screws to. Welds were smoothed, sprayed with a zinc primer then seam sealed

Welds will be smoothed, zinc primed and seam sealed

Started making a repair panel for the heater matrix

Spot welded in place. Poor access here to get the welder into. Welds need to be smoothed off then zinc primed and seam sealed

Cut off the clutch repair panel that had been badly repaired in the past and welded back in. Again welds need smoothing then zinc primer and seam sealer

Welded a thick piece of steel on here to provide protection and the piece that was there was badly dented.

I realize I have applied zinc primer in places and some welds still need smoothing but this was done just to protect the welded area until all the welding has been done. Once all the welding is complete I will smooth of all welds as necessary and etch / zinc prime the whole car before applying seam sealer.

Back to the top
Looking good buddy :)

Back to the top
Update of the last couple of days work

All pictures are of work in progress and by no means finished, but you get the idea

New inner and outer rear arch and sill

Started patching the rear inner arch

Started patching the inner wing

Started welding up some of the holes in the engine bay

Front panel removed

Trial fit of complete new front panel

Like I said all pictures are of work in progress, welds still need to be smoothed, surface rust removed etc…

Back to the top
Looking good mate, keep up the hard work!! must have really helped having the car blasted! I know what to do next time, the amount of hours I've spent scraping seam sealer off is unbelievable :lol:

Back to the top
Coming along nicely there mate. Good luck with the rest of it.  :)

Back to the top
Thanks again everyone for the positive comments. Another quick update. Again all pictures are of work in progress

New front panel now fully welded in place

New inner arch section welded in place. Repair plate on the rear of the chassis leg in this picture isn't my work, this was already on the car and will be cut out and a new plate welded in

Two new repair sections welded in place, due to the originals having holes in and being badly dented

New passenger side chassis repair plate welded in place

Rear chassis leg repair

Front inner wing repair

Started repairing the floor and sill

Something I haven't really shown up until now is the work that's gone into the actual welds. So I thought I would put a picture up

New sill welded in place

Last edit: by mk1newbie

Back to the top
 This is one lucky mk1 to fall into your ownership - top work going on there. Love the nice neat welding, very impressed. Keep the updates coming.

Back to the top
Looks good mate, only slightly jealous lol....

Back to the top
Coming on great m8, keep the updates coming! remember to take your time on the outer body so as not to warp it with too much heat :thumbs:

Back to the top
Awesome project. Massive amount of skill and effort going into this. Keep the updates coming

Back to the top

Terrywoo1973 said

Looks good mate, only slightly jealous lol….

haha thanks

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Coming on great m8, keep the updates coming! remember to take your time on the outer body so as not to warp it with too much heat :thumbs:

Thanks. I will do. Ow and regarding the under seal and seam sealer I still had to remove this by hand before sand blasting. The sand blasters doesn't remove it :(

Back to the top

smudger said

Awesome project. Massive amount of skill and effort going into this. Keep the updates coming

Thanks very much. Updates below :)

Back to the top
More pictures of work in progress

Inner wings and bottom half of the engine bay in stone chip. Any surface rust removed to bare metal, zinc primed, seam sealed. I think I will put some more seam sealer on before it is sprayed. You cant see the stone chip effect in these pictures all that well but I do have some close ups somewhere.

Filled, seam sealed and primed the new sill and part of the new arch

I've got the passenger side arch to done and then the rear panel and apart from little bits and pieces that should be all the welding done and hopefully the whole car will be in primer over the weekend.

Back to the top
Great work! You're a tad handy with a welder!  :ocf_emoticons__eusa_clap:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Amazing work dude !!!!

Back to the top
Excellent work.

Another inspirational project that makes me realise what an easy job I have!

Back to the top
Thanks again everyone for the positive comments. Now time for a quick update. The underside has now been zinc primed, seam sealed and stone chipped up to where the petrol tank goes. The passenger side, inner and outer arches have been welded in place, both rear chassis leg corners repaired and the toe eye welded on as it was missing. Also welded a repair plate in the spare wheel well, both rear arch corners and lower rear panel also welded in place. So that is all the welded work now complete. I now have a 100% solid and rust free mk1 shell :)Most of the filler work is done and I have started rubbing down the roof and quarter panels ready for primer. I haven't got many pictures as I've been quite busy on the car and by the time I remember I needed to take some I had already tidy up and pushed the car out the way and also forgot to put the battery in the camera. I did take two quick one with my phone though. I will try and get some pictures of the areas I've mentioned next week.

Passenger arch with most of the filler work done, just needs some finishing touches now

And the car put out the away to make some room in the garage

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.