Skip navigation

1979 VW Golf GTI Series 1. Resto Thread. Updated 08/09/13. Getting ready for sale :(

Back to the top
Amazing build.

I'd love to know where you purchased your number plates from. They look really classy :)

Back to the top

Dublove said

Amazing build.

I'd love to know where you purchased your number plates from. They look really classy :)

They are from new plates in Wrexham. Email: nwplates@mail.com

They are the correct style for '79. Pre '78 really has higher letters and 80 was the start of flat plastic ones. He's really helpfull

Back to the top
Thank you very much for the information. Mine is a 1979 so I'm borderline lol.

Back to the top
Looks beautiful, shame your selling it tho lets hope it doesn't go to some who'll just keep it locked away as an investment

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
very nice are u really selling it ?

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
I will be yes. ive still some jobs to do with it and will be a bit of a shame as ive never shown it.

Back to the top
Loo stunning mate were you get the paint work done at thx billy

Back to the top
Love this and love the plates going to have to get some for my Polo  :wub:

Back to the top
Just found this thread. looks absolutely lovely - i think the series 1 GTI in Mars Red is arguably the definitive article.

I'm from NI and am well aware of the PITA that is the export process and paperwork… thankfully they have now done away with this

Back to the top
excellent work

bare with me, im new to this!

Back to the top
Lovely restoration! I owned this before Jonny, who you bought it from, I bought it from Leeds I think.

He mentioned he would like to see pics of it restored, so thought where else would there be a build thread for it but here!

Hope you have the massive amount of history with this vehicle? The original bill of sale, the waxoiled from new receipt, magazine with it on the cover! I had it for a few years but never got around to starting on it, Jonny took it off my hands in a swop for his e30 bmw!

Scary to think how cheap I let this go for!  :P

Back to the top
hi. yeah i have all the paperwork and have just had the orginal dealer stickers made up from the paperwork for the back window!! 

…so is that you on the front page of practical classic driving it?

he was a nice lad with a nice family. at the start of my resto thread theres a link to when i picked it up from ireland.

if you have any old pics that would be great. i think i found the leeds owner who had a post on retro rides re the car and he emailed me some old pics when it had trantular wheels on it!!

6N16V said

Lovely restoration! I owned this before Jonny, who you bought it from, I bought it from Leeds I think.

He mentioned he would like to see pics of it restored, so thought where else would there be a build thread for it but here!

Hope you have the massive amount of history with this vehicle? The original bill of sale, the waxoiled from new receipt, magazine with it on the cover! I had it for a few years but never got around to starting on it, Jonny took it off my hands in a swop for his e30 bmw!

Scary to think how cheap I let this go for!  :P

Back to the top
No wasn't me on the magazine, I got it along with the massive folder of history!

Yeah it had tarantulas on it when I got it, bought the early wheels from a local guy as thought they suited the car better.

No really good pics of it, have them in my photobucket account below, not sure if its private or not!

Photo and Video Storage | Photobucket

Back to the top
no its not public. if you could send them to vintagevwhire@mail.com id love to see them.

Back to the top
Photo and Video Storage | Photobucket

Try that mate, it seems to be set to public viewing so should work  ;)

Back to the top
Nice job dude
top marks

Back to the top
absolutley awesome work..... as for value i think the 7k plus mark would be ball park figure. maybe only the minus would be the wabastro roof.... but i think its awesome
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.