Skip navigation

02j tower with 02a gearbox

Back to the top
I've been offered the tower from this box:

It came with a donor 20vt Corrado so it's history is unknown but thought to be about 90k miles. The engine's gone into a mk2 which already had an 02A conversion so it's going spare.

Just to check, is this likely to be what I need if I get the bottom plate too?

peterg60 what do you reckon, or do I have to take the tower out and check to be sure?
Thanks

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
That be fine just take the bottom plate just incase. The tower could just slot in your box . But best to get plate aswell just in case.

Back to the top
Hi if anyone has the 02j tower for sale give me a shout. Many thanks in advance Carl

Back to the top

peterg60 said

That be fine just take the bottom plate just incase. The tower could just slot in your box . But best to get plate aswell just in case.

Cheers Pete-much appreciated  :thumbs:

Build thread here

Back to the top
Hi there, I've read through this thread looking for the answer to my particular problem but can't seem to see it.
  I've got a mk4 golf selector tower and an 02j gearbox also out of a mk4 golf 1.8T.
  I'm going to mount my selector underneath the car to retain the console trim.
  I've tryed a set of lupo diesel cables which don't fit properly. 
 The bracket that holds My cables is the same as can be seen on this box;
Mk4 golf 1.8t gearbox selector - Google Search

Can anyone tell me what cables will fit and also be a good length to follow the route I'm going? Thanks.

Back to the top
Hi daniboy123 ,

It's all dependent on which shifter tower you have. There's an early and late type. See pics.

New type gear stick goes with this type tower

Old type goes with this one

The bracket usually comes with the cables if you buy them used.

Hope this helps

Back to the top
I bought this setup for mine, fitted below the tunnel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Ibiza-1-2-Gear-Selector-With-Cables-And-Clips-6Q0711049AL-6Q0-711-049-AL-/281121047364

I've got a full list of parts that I bought to refurb the tower for Audi TT short shift , including the three-holed bracket that mounts on top of the gearbox casing that the cable sleeves clip into.

Part no of the bracket is 1J0 711 781C

HTH  :thumbs:

Build thread here

Back to the top
My selector tower is pictured higher up this page for reference

Build thread here

Back to the top
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I have the new style selector box (mk4 golf) with the correct new type tower fitted at the gearbox end, they came from a standard donor car all together. The tower has the ball joint levers and I've just purchased a pair of new ends to go on there. These I believe are the older connections but still correct for this set up. The bracket that holds the cables on the box is the same as the one you bought mike 1J0 711 781C which again came with the box.
  It's seems I just need the correct cables for this set up as I think everything is as it should be. The lupo diesel cables although a hood length must be from a different set up?
 Can anyone suggest a pair of cables that will work with this set up?

Back to the top
My cables are from a 2004 1.2 SEAT Ibiza PN 6Q0711049AL (came complete with the shifter tower) but I believe the equivalent model Polo has the same length of cables.

Length was spot on for me, the only small issue is that the gearstick could do with being an inch or so longer to put the gearknob at the same height as originally. One day I'll get it modified so it's the right height and I can fit the golfball gearknob

Build thread here

Back to the top
Hi mike, just looking at your link to the seat selector tower and cables it looks like the bracket that holds the cables to the box is different to the one I have and I think I have cables that are designed to work with that bracket, I think that's why they don't fit properly. I'd get a set of mk4 golf cables but there a bit too long. Just need shorter versions of those but not sure which ones :/.
 That seat selector looks like the new type but them there are two different style brackets that hold the cables to the box.

Back to the top
Hmm not sure.

I had to change the bracket that came with my Seat stuff for the one I bought from VW, so the bracket in the ebay link will be wrong. If you've got the same part number bracket that I bought new though, it should fit if you get the Seat setup that I have (or Polo version if you want a nicer gearknob). I was told the Polo version will be the same part number but with a different letter or letters suffix at the end (i.e. not AL)

My donor 'box came as pictured at the top of the page so didn't have a bracket with it when I got it.

Check my build thread for the installation, although no pics of the cables there. Can take some for you tomorrow though if you like

Build thread here

Back to the top
Had another look through your build thread, it looks like I have almost the same set up as you mike, only difference being my in car selector is off a mk4 golf. As far as I know the seat cables your using should work with my selector. I'll have a search for both seat and polo cables then and report back, thanks.

Back to the top
Forgot to ask how are the seat cables for length? How have you routed them into the engine bay? My plan as to go over the steering rack, cheers.

Back to the top

daniboy123 said

Forgot to ask how are the seat cables for length? How have you routed them into the engine bay? My plan as to go over the steering rack, cheers.

Length is perfect. I think I routed them behind the steering rack but would have to double check in the morning. I had to take off the old gear selctor bracket that attaches to the steering rack as it was in the way (and of course no longer needed).

I think I paid about £25 delivered for my selector and cables so it's probably not really worth trying to source the cables on their own unless you've got a friendly scrappy near you that will let you find your own

Build thread here

Back to the top
Cheers Mike,  that's what I've done, removed the bracket and welded a bolt in its place so I can attach two p clips and run the cables  through them and over the rack.
  I've been looking around for the seat cable set up using your part number, some come up with a different bracket to attach them to the gearbox which is odd. So long as I find a set with the same bracket I should be good :) 

Back to the top
this one has the cables pictured. Looks like the part you want is 6Q0 711 265 AA for the cables. I'll confirm on mine tomorrow.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-POLO-9N-3DR-02-05-1-2-12V-GEAR-SELECTOR-WITH-LINKAGE-6Q0711049-AL-6Q0711256-/111654828243?hash=item19ff2578d3:g:IFsAAOSwBLlVO1Ar

I'd have thought a pair of new cables from a dealer would cost more than a S/H shifter setup though!

Build thread here

Back to the top
If you could confirm those part numbers that would be great thanks.

Back to the top
When doing this conversion to my car  I can confirm the seat ibiza cables are the same length as mk4 golf gti 1.8t.

Lupo cables are too short if running under the car. 

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
Thanks, that's good to know. I found the mk4 golf cables a bit too long although they would still be ok. Is there a better cable for length that would work with my set up then?
There are too many online users to list.