Skip navigation

02j tower with 02a gearbox

Back to the top

peterg60 said

AaronGTI said

Some very useful information in this thread, see the polo GTI shifter what model is it from?

Is the Audi short shifter just an OEM part?

Thanks Aaron

. Audi tt short shift is a oem part I list all part numbers when the BBQ of  :thumbs:

Super! Enjoy your BBQ!  :cool:

Back to the top
here the bits i brought from audi dealer easy to fit 5 min job.  they both come with the lastest bow catches

relay  1J0 711 202P audi dealer

short shift  8N0 711 046 audi dealer

Last edit: by peterg60

Back to the top
Thanks alot peter :) .

Also when selecting Gearboxes which one is better? 02A or 02J also do you have to take into consideration the other 3 letter code on the gearbox or gear ratios?

Thanks Aaron

Back to the top

Back to the top
02j are newer than 02a . I run a 02a box from a mk3 gti cda. I used this as I had it lying about. But when I fit my diff I use a 02j box. I've seen a list with different ratio in gearbox codes I try to fit.

Back to the top

thickfreakness said

yes the attachments the black sqaure head with spring. That gearbox tower should be same as my 1.

Back to the top
Ok buddy, cheers for the help. Did you buy the oem instant gasket seal for fitting the new one?

Back to the top

thickfreakness said

Ok buddy, cheers for the help. Did you buy the oem instant gasket seal for fitting the new one?

. I brought my from gsf same seal for I used on my oil pan

Back to the top

peterg60 said

02j are newer than 02a . I run a 02a box from a mk3 gti cda. I used this as I had it lying about. But when I fit my diff I use a 02j box. I've seen a list with different ratio in gearbox codes I try to fit.

Aww ok understand! Super thanks for the info  :)

Back to the top
Peter, with this set-up. Do you have the part number for the cable bracket I need? Its the one so that the cables are side to side isnt it?

Cheers

Back to the top
cable bracket is 1J0 711 781 C there about 14 quid from dealer

Back to the top
Cheers mate. Is there anything I need to know when it comes to fitting it?

Back to the top
nah m8 3 bolts and its attached ontop of box. watch this video how to adjust your setup for nice smooth gears when it all togther also gives u a idea where everything goes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sheTKD03hmo

Last edit: by peterg60

Back to the top
Cheers for all the help peter. I shall let you know how I get on

Back to the top
yeh let me know how u get on cheers :thumbs:

Back to the top
Peter, I'm having a little trouble trying to locate my 02j tower into position in the gearbox. I can remove and put back in the 02a but the 02j a cant get to fit in place. I see the 02j has like a locating ball bearing on the shaft, do you have any ideas. Is there a nack to it? Cheers

Back to the top
You mean lock or to fit in hole? If U remove tower and look in the gearbox U will see a groove where the tower fits in. U have to turn the tower gears in your hand to get it into neutral. And it will slot in. What gearbox did the tower come from

Back to the top
Yeh to lock it into the gearbox, the tower wont fit all the way down, its asif somethings restricting it. Its out of a 98 golf tdi mate.

Back to the top
The bottom of the shaft of the 02a tower is smooth, where as the bottom of the 02j shaft has groves machined in it. Think this could be my problem.

Back to the top
on the 02j tower shaft you see a square lug that has to line up with the gearbox. when i did my it took me about 10 attempts to do it i had to keep clicking the tower in my hand untill it found the grove in gearbox. your gearbox could be in a gear so you need to match that to the tower. or you might have the later type 02j tower

There are too many online users to list.