Skip navigation

Mike's helios blue 2.0 16vG60

Back to the top

New gearbox in!

Just checked again and we did not send you an email for the last post reply - not sure why, will look into it for you

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

With regards to the gearbox mount. Epytec actually do a mount for use with an 02J box/ shifter. The fourth photo shows it on the car. I'm sure you'll be able to modify your existing. If you need any measurements just let me know as I've got one fitted to my mk1.

http://www.epytec.de/motor-und-getriebe-halter/golf-caddy-scirocco-1/1449/vw-seilzug-getriebehalter-golf-1-caddy-g60-vr6-1-8t-02j-getriebe-motor-umbau-halter?c=1806

Had another look at this today - that's for 02J box/02J shifter as you say. What I need is a special mount for 02A box/02J shifter and hydro clutch, which I think is a bit too special even for Epytec to make. I didn't want to start chopping at the fabric of the side of the mount although I see that's basically how they've done the 02J one, then added a fillet along the top on the other side.
I've managed to push the pins from the reversing light plug with my awesome tool from amazon

Laser 3932 Terminal Tool : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

All I need to do now is connect them directly to the switch and use a bit of heat shrink and some panel seal for weather proofing and I think I'm there.

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Just checked again and we did not send you an email for the last post reply - not sure why, will look into it for you

Thanks Ade. I checked my mail settings and couldn't see anything that would filter them out.

Build thread here

Back to the top
Right hotmail is rejecting the emails as spam.
Our site complies with Microsofts SPF record so I do not know why this is happening. I spent hours with Microsoft support trying to resolve this last year and got no where, they were very unhelpful and I went round in circles with their Indian support team…

You need to add us to the safe senders list or use a non Microsoft email address - see here:

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=email_issues

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
done - will see how it goes. Cheers  :thumbs:

Build thread here

Back to the top
Time for an update as it's been a while and I was so busy in the run up to Dubs at the Park that I didn't get time to update any progress.

I had a clear 3 days off work in the run up to DATP so I took the plunge and booked my MoT for 09:00 on the Friday morning (day before). It was a bit of an epic 2 days before the MoT with a couple of very late nights.

The SEAT Ibiza selector fits a treat in the hole left by the original mk1 selector but it's a very exact fit, so I templated up position of the holes very carefully with the lid of a kids' shoe box - nice and rigid once the rectangular hole in the middle was cut out. Sorry no pics of this.  The studs are M8 but i had to drill 10mm holes to give enough wiggle room to get them all in together.

I removed the studs at the back of the selector and bolted from above instead.

Also had to grind a very small piece of the end of the exhaust hanger away as it was in the way of the selector housing

All bare metal etch primed and stonechipped before fitting :-)

I also bought some foam insulation strip to sandwich between the selector housing and the floorpan as there was a tiny bit of light visible when shining an inspection lamp from below into the cabin

There's actually quite a nice amount of clearance from the exhaust although I don't think it was hanging all the way back up in this pic

Fitting the new cable ends to the box was pretty straightforward once the tower was in place and I followed the youtube video that PeterG60 sent me to set it all up right first time.

http://youtu.be/sheTKD03hmo
 Also fitted my new lower strut brace

Next I decided to reverse bleed the hydro clutch, which seemed to work well. Can't comment on whether it was necessary or not though.

The technique is to use a clean oil can with a piece of tubing to force fluid in through the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder until it comes through into the reservoir.

Once done I topped up the reservoir and bled it again in the conventional way with a helper and it was all fine.

Once that was done (evening before MoT) all that remained was to fit the top cambelt cover, alternator bracket and reassemble all of the serpentine belt tensioner, which took quite a while.

Also had to go online to find out where the battery connections for live and earth go to as it had been apart for so long!

It was after 11 when I tried to crank it over for the first time since october, and nothing.

A bit more googling and fortunately all that was wrong was the I had the wires to the starter terminals swapped.

Next morning, wheels went back on and the car came down off the blocks and I tried the clutch action and gear selection for the first time since october while driving it out of the garage.  Very nice light action, perfect bite point and feel.  Phew!

Made it to the MoT station via the back roads. Ten slightly anxious miles in morning traffic, but all fine

First time pass!

Then while I was chatting the the tester, and before the brake test, she overheated at idle and dropped all of her coolant over the workshop floor.  One of the spade connections had come off the fan switch. Luckily no harm done and a refill with hot water it was all completed OK

Home again - hadn't even had time for a wash (apart from the windscreen) before the MoT!

And a few from Dubs at the Park next day

Still a few jobs to do - the new gear selector is rather short and stubby and I still have the the Ibiza gearknob on it for now, but I have a plan to modify it back to look standard. There's also a problem with the reversing lights not working with the 02J tower but again I think I have a plan for that so will update in a few days…..

Last edit: by Mike 16vG60

Build thread here

Back to the top
By the way I'm happy to report that the car absolutely flies now. The gear ratios are spot on, the diff seems to have removed the wheelspin, although there is a fair bit of 'squirming' under hard acceleration. Hydro clutch is just awesome - such a good modification if going to cable change 'box.

:D

Build thread here

Back to the top
Car looks fantastic, love the p-slots  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Can't believe I haven't commented on your thread! Your car looks epic and yes the hydro clutch is a quality mod.

Will you have enough room for that Civic air box? It looks quite tight around the chassis leg.

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
Thanks Rich. It arrived today so we'll see!
I think I'll have to move the fuel pressure regulator at the very least. 
It came with all the pipes so might be able to do something with them too hopefully

Build thread here

Back to the top
Any updates? Need a 16vG60 fix!

Back to the top

Spen said

Any updates? Need a 16vG60 fix!

Sorry Spen quite a bit done since the last update but haven't sat down and updated the thread.

I decided to go back to springs and shocks as I wasn't running the KWs low at all, partly down to the roads where I live and speed bumps and partly just old age, so I opted for the Eibach springs and BOGE turbogas setup. I got some S/H housings and all the other cups and bits and had it all powder coated locally for reassembly

and while I was at it decided some uprated ARBs were in order. Eibach not available so I went for H&R which are almost identical in spec and come in a nice purple finish

I also had loads of parts in the stash ready to go on, so I ended up fitting new Febi wishbones and balljoints, new track rod ends both sides and new genuine ARB retaining clamps. I also got all new nuts and washers from the dealer as what came off was a collection of different non-gen types.

I also decided to get some new tyres as the wheels had come with some almost new Vredestein all season jobs that didn't seem that great and were also lower profile than I wanted, so I'm now running 195/50 R15 Toyo R1Rs

Camber set up to 1 degree -ve and tracking redone and the ride is much better, handling seems at least as good as before. I prefer the look of the higher profile tyres too :-)

Took the car for a blast today in the sunshine and I'm feeling the love again

I still need to sort the reversing light problem although it's just a case of getting around to it. I also need to fit the rear ARB too but I can see that being a winter job when I can get the rear beam blasted and powdercoated too, and will change to a stainless filler neck at the same time.

I've got a G60 twin core radiator too, so that is the next job on the list, hopefully next week sometime!

Build thread here

Back to the top
Looking great Mike,

Where did you get your ARB kit from if you don't mind me asking?

Could do with one as my car never came with anything :(

Back to the top

RichG said

Looking great Mike,

Where did you get your ARB kit from if you don't mind me asking?

Could do with one as my car never came with anything :(

Thanks Rich

I got the H&R kit from Gurjeet Virdee on the Facebook group. He's local to me and had one in stock for the same price as online. I got all the clamps etc from AVS but lots of people have them

Build thread here

Back to the top
Cheers Mike. Good to see the progress on it! Car looks great. 

Back to the top
Whereabouts did you get your bush and bearings from for the shift tower refub from? I can find a company called Hotgolf other than for the pastime :lol:CQ's don't appear to do them.

Cheers.

1983 MK1 Golf four door 1.8T 20V BAM remapped, MK2 dash and loom, TMI interior.  daily.

2014 VW California 5.1 with full Sportline kit, weekend home.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.