Skip navigation

Mike's helios blue 2.0 16vG60

Back to the top

New gearbox in!

Looking good. Getting there slowly but surely. luckily it's almost weekend.

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Another hour on the car this morning and the new gearbox is in. 

I was pretty aware of the dangers working on my own, so put a small trolley jack under the engine and moved the engine crane over to lift the gearbox into place

The second trolley jack helped with lifting it up the last bit, and a waggle and heave from above and it went into place surprisingly easily. Definitely worth the time planning the lift. 
I've got the two 19mm bolts in that hold the bellhousing to the block. Now to get the gearbox rubber mount pressed into the bracket to hold it properly in place…

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  Well done mate.

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Will have to get my mount pressed in at a local garage so I thought used some time yesterday to get the steering column out ready to exchange for the JustCaddys hydro clutch unit. 
The shear bolts were a bit tricky but came undone with a punch and cold chisel. I thought the bolts had a collar but it's actually a washer, but tapping the washer round anticlockwise was enough to loosen the bolt in each case.

Then to get at the studs that go through the bulkhead I had to remove the serpentine belt and alternator as it's all a bit tight back there- probably not an issue on standard cars :)

(The bit of string is currently holding the driveshaft out of the way!)

The access will help with changing out the speedo and clutch cables as well as routing the hydraulic braided hose, then I'll change that side engine mount back to standard while I'm at it. 

Column out and ready to go

Feels like I'm making some decent progress now and the love is starting to return!

Build thread here

Back to the top
Mount rubber pressed in  :) :) :)   

Build thread here

Back to the top
 :thumbs: Some nice progress. Looking good.  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Time for a long overdue update.

JustCaddys hydro kit was a nice easy installation. It's all quite tight between the reservoir pipe to the clutch master cylinder and the plastic heater pipes but it all went in OK and I even found an unused grommet in the bulkhead that the braided line could be fed through.

Modified column

Fitted - you can't see the braided line as it is on the other side

Line through bulkhead

Gearbox end

I removed the driver's side engine mount at this stage to change the insert back to standard, and noticed that my aluminium BarTek alternator bracket was on the way out. It had to be cut to fit around the engine mount as it's designed for a mk2, but the garage could have done a better job and the mounting holes were starting to go:

It means more delays but I'm having a new one made from steel with the gooseneck straightened out to have more material where it's needed. It took a while but is ready to collect now :-)

After fitting the gearbox I realised that my Epytec rear mount isn't compatible with the ABF spec gearbox (02A DPA code) which I've now seen a few threads on. JustCaddys now do a special mount for my gearbox, so I now have one of those!

To be continued…

Last edit: by Mike 16vG60

Build thread here

Back to the top
Looking good Mike, are Justcaddy's still doing the hydro clutch kits?  

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Looking good Mike, are Justcaddy's still doing the hydro clutch kits?  

Yep, but only on an exchange basis-I took mine over to Al after that last post as he's only an hour away and combined the trip with another errand over that way. I went for the full kit inc slave cylinder, lines and reservoir. Have got his details if you need them

Build thread here

Back to the top
Continued from earlier:
I offered up the new rear mount to the gearbox in the car and could see that the two mounting holes on the driver's side were too small. Initially I thought that they were an M6 thread rather than M8. Either way I decided to drop the gearbox back out to investigate.

So I had to drill the holes out to 6.8mm and tap an M8 thread to suit the bracket

Had to drill the holes freehand with a cordless as my stand drill was too short to get the casting and drill bit in place together

And fitted on the bench

It's ready to go back in now. Sadly this gearbox also seems to be incompatible with the Claus Von Essen 02A rod change kit that I was going to use, as the bigger diff housing and rear mount bracket obstructs the end of the main gear change rod from the shifter, so I'm going to have to go cable change after all.

One other little job that I've got done while waiting on parts has been a refurb of the starter motor with replacement bushes. Should have taken a 'before' pic!

That's where it's at for now. I've been flat out with work through Nov and Dec with no free weekends but will be collecting the new alternator bracket on Tues, then fitting it and the offside engine mount and getting the gearbox reinstalled. All that's holding the job up after that is needing an 02J tower to go in the gearbox to match up with my Ibiza/Polo shifter, but hopefully I've got a lead on that so I could be back on the road by the end of the year. Don't think I'll be done in time for next weekend's Berks meet though :-( Especially as the MoT has expired too so I'll need to factor that in aswell. More of a formality than an worry I hope as the car has only done about 500 miles in the last year and is dry stored!

Last edit: by Mike 16vG60

Build thread here

Back to the top
love seeing a bit of home engineering on these car, nice job mike  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Not sure where the time went, but the gearbox is back in the car now with all the mounts and driveshafts torqued up and ready to go.

I picked up an 02J donor gearbox tower to swap into the box to get the best possible gearchange and have spent a few hours here and there getting it refurbed and rebushed with the Audi TT short shift upgrade while I was at it.

My 02A 'box is a Hotgolf special and already had the tower bushing upgraded to a phosphor bronze one, so I pushed this out first using some M8 threaded rod an old box spanner as a tube and an oversize socket to receive the bushing and protect the casting from damage

The shaft bearing in the 02J tower was completely shot so out it came using a similar method.  There's a useful thread on cgti on how to remove the bearing. I ground a couple of small grooves to get some washers inside it and used them to pull down on the lip of the bearing housing to get it out

Then once it was all cleaned up I used the threaded bar and tube to wind the PB bush into the 02J tower

Shiny new bits: TT short shift weight and lever, new nylon bushes, all reassembled an ready

And then another hitch: the 02J tower has the reversing light switch in a different place and it fouls the clutch cable guide bracket on the gearbox mount - you can just about see in this pic

I'm using a hydro clutch so the 02J tower should fit once the bracket is cut off the mount. Hopefully I can do it without having to remove the mount again although I suppose it's only 3 bolts to undo. Just more time…… Will try to get it done over the weekend, then the next step is to fit the cable change gearstick in the car

Dubs at the Park is on May 16th so the pressure is starting to build a bit!

Build thread here

Back to the top
Nice little bit of press work there!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Great thread.

Is the crazy quiffs steering column all fixed in now?

Would you recommend one?

Thanks

Lhasa2008

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice little bit of press work there!  :thumbs:

Thanks Andy. The hardest part was finding a piece of tubing the right size - took me ages!

Build thread here

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

Great thread.

Is the crazy quiffs steering column all fixed in now?

Would you recommend one?

Thanks

Lhasa2008
It's from JustCaddys, not CQs but yes I would recommend it in terms of being nicely made and easy to fit.  I haven't tested the action yet but should be at that stage in the next few days.
Can't wait to get the car MoT'ed again and back on the road.

Build thread here

Back to the top
With regards to the gearbox mount. Epytec actually do a mount for use with an 02J box/ shifter. The fourth photo shows it on the car. I'm sure you'll be able to modify your existing. If you need any measurements just let me know as I've got one fitted to my mk1.

http://www.epytec.de/motor-und-getriebe-halter/golf-caddy-scirocco-1/1449/vw-seilzug-getriebehalter-golf-1-caddy-g60-vr6-1-8t-02j-getriebe-motor-umbau-halter?c=1806

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

With regards to the gearbox mount. Epytec actually do a mount for use with an 02J box/ shifter. The fourth photo shows it on the car. I'm sure you'll be able to modify your existing. If you need any measurements just let me know as I've got one fitted to my mk1.

http://www.epytec.de/motor-und-getriebe-halter/golf-caddy-scirocco-1/1449/vw-seilzug-getriebehalter-golf-1-caddy-g60-vr6-1-8t-02j-getriebe-motor-umbau-halter?c=1806

Thanks for that. Email notifications have stopped working so only just read your post. I've bought a pin removal tool and trimmed the reversing light switch so hopefully can make it work with the mount I have.  I've also cut the clutch cable guide off the mount. That one looks nice though and would have gone for one of those if only I'd known!

Build thread here

Back to the top

tidymike said

Email notifications have stopped working so only just read your post.

Are you not getting any email notifications ?

I keep a rolling month of emails that we send out and in the last month the site has sent you 209 email notifications.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

tidymike said

Email notifications have stopped working so only just read your post.

Are you not getting any email notifications ?

I keep a rolling month of emails that we send out and in the last month the site has sent you 209 email notifications.

hmmm that's weird - they go to my hotmail address so I should at least see them in the junk folder. Maybe I've done something in my account settings there when sweeping them from the inbox.
Thanks for letting me know. If I can't fix it in hotmail I'll change the address to my icloud account

Build thread here
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.