Skip navigation

Steering column lower bearing help!

Back to the top
yeah i would say that looks correct :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Yay!!!!  Cheers rubjonny!  I actually took it all apart again last night as I was not feeling happy about the spring closest to the steering wheel end being there.  It didnt seem to fit properly and from every diagram I had seen it looked like the only spring should be between the bearing and uj.  Took it out and it only took me an hour to put it all back together-pretty good for me:lol:

Back to the top
Does anyone have a picture of their lower steering column that shows how the lower bearing, spring, and thrust washer are arranged?

The spring-loaded column bearing is apparently more common in Europe, and doesn't seem to be the style on US-made Rabbits.

Here in the states, the mk1 Rabbits used a different bearing, 171419517, not the 171419517B.

Our bearing presses into the bottom of the steering column tube and is stationary.

The inner race for our bearing is a separate part, a metal race/inner plastic bushing that slips snuggly over the shaft and is tapped into the position inside the outer bearing.

Since the inner race is not constrained, the shaft can move freely into the upper telescoping shaft, in the event of a collision.

The shaft is a "double D" style, so the inner race must have a matching custom plastic bushing fitted inside, to envelop the shaft fully.

I am going to guess from the pictures of your bearing, that your shaft is *round*, not a Double D, and that the inner race is built into the bearing itself, and the split plastic sleeve on it's inside diameter fits directly on the shaft.

One thing I can't figure is why you have a spring and trust washer behind the bearing, unless the bearing is free to move in the tube and there is a need to center it. Our bearing (not the inner race) is a press fit into the tube end and so is stationary.

Back to the top
Waking up the old thread,

Found a load of ball bearings in the carpet, and looks like the lower bearing has collapsed. Can I get away with removing the UJ and doing it in situ or did you need to remove the whole column? - Not looking forward to that as I have an easysteer power unit installed and would require taking the whole dash out.  

Thanks in advance :-) - with some hope!

R32GUY

1992 Rivage in Classic Blue Pearl "B16YUG" 2.0 TFSI, 6 Speed FWD with Quaife LSD, running on Air with sorted geometry and Eibach ARB's, G60 brake setup front and rear, 4x100 17" BBS LM's, Power Steering, Opening Quarter-lights, Mk2 electric recaros and the whole car trimmed by MJ Interiors in tan and Alcantara with a brown roof.

Back to the top
Ball Bearings, I could of sworn that the bottom was roller bearing and not balled.

But y'all do some funny things over on that side of the pond.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
pretty sure you can undo the lower UJ then it will slide up the lower half of the column no problem

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

pretty sure you can undo the lower UJ then it will slide up the lower half of the column no problem

Thanks John that's what I was hoping  - Will tackle that  and update. Much appreciated.

R32GUY

1992 Rivage in Classic Blue Pearl "B16YUG" 2.0 TFSI, 6 Speed FWD with Quaife LSD, running on Air with sorted geometry and Eibach ARB's, G60 brake setup front and rear, 4x100 17" BBS LM's, Power Steering, Opening Quarter-lights, Mk2 electric recaros and the whole car trimmed by MJ Interiors in tan and Alcantara with a brown roof.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.