Skip navigation

Lhasa green gti g60 restoration

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

So as i've been finding out when doing an engine conversion, driveshafts are a bit of problem. You either spend 350 quid on new custom ones or try and source some late cabby ones with 100mm inner cv's which dont always fit depending on which hubs you have and sometimes you have to grind away either the hub or driveshaft to make it fit. So what i decided to do was to use the original mk1 gti shafts and outer cvs with the corrado g60 100mm inner cvs i had lying around, upon trial assembly i noticed the corrado inner cv was too thick and you couldnt get the circlip on, so i decided to lathe the centre out a little to enable me to refit the circlip. This worked brilliantly so i got the shafts blasted and powder coated and bought new cv boots and now they look brand new, i got round to fitting them today and they fit a treat so im well pleased. I also got around to some other little jobs including fitting new belt tensioner, idler pulleys and aux belt.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

I have now got to a stage where i want to start the engine. I purchased an odyssey battery which is the same size as a motorcycle battery but designed for a car due to lack of space in the bay and i didnt really want to relocate to the boot. I also finished off the vac pipes and purchased a k&n cone filter. So my first attempt at a start up went well up until the point i realised i have no spark, the ignition comes on and ecu powers up the fuel pump primes and does as it should which is great but i have no spark :-( im at a bit of a loss as to whats causing it atm, ive got power in all the relevant places including to the ecu when cranking so im suspecting a duff hall sender atm so ive ordered a LED test kit to see of it is or not. The ecu is giving me a constant negative to the coil instead of a pulsed negative so something is amiss. Anyway i ran out of time last weekend so i intent to investigate further this weekend. Im gojng to go over all my wiring again, check the hall sender and basically try and figure it out as methodically as i can, i'm hoping my ECU isnt bad as ive seen a few reports on the forums the ecu can play up although i have a spare and i did try that and it made no difference so if it is the ecu ive been extremely unlucky and have two bad ones. Anyway i will have a look and try and update after the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Looking good Ollie, I reckon it's just a dodgy wire somewhere. If you've tried a spare ecu and it doesn't work I can't imagine the ecu is bad.

The ecu's normally get fried through bad earths on G60's.

Good luck :thumbs:

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

Thanks Rich. Fingers crossed i can get her going this weekend! Its been a long time coming.

Back to the top
Are you getting any signal at all from the hall sender?

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

Im not overly convinced i am getting signal, i have voltage at the plug so thats a plus. I've just bought a led test kit so i can test the hall sender as per the bentley manual..

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

Massive update today. It finally bloody runs!! Had an absolute mare fault finding trying to find 2 isolated problems. First one was the no spark issue, after many hours head scratching, checking sensors and wiring i found that the ECU was duff so i sourced another from france and that was the spark issue sorted. I then tried to fire it again only to find it was over fueling and flooding like crazy, so i swapped out the bigger injectors i had in and put the originals back in to no avail. I then tested the fuel pressure and it was way too high so i decided to buy a sytec fully adjustable Fuel pressure regulator and this cured my problem and it fired right up. What a relief!!

Back to the top

Olliew94 said

Massive update today. It finally bloody runs!! Had an absolute mare fault finding trying to find 2 isolated problems. First one was the no spark issue, after many hours head scratching, checking sensors and wiring i found that the ECU was duff so i sourced another from france and that was the spark issue sorted. I then tried to fire it again only to find it was over fueling and flooding like crazy, so i swapped out the bigger injectors i had in and put the originals back in to no avail. I then tested the fuel pressure and it was way too high so i decided to buy a sytec fully adjustable Fuel pressure regulator and this cured my problem and it fired right up. What a relief!!

Oh great news Ollie ;)Do you reckon the diaphragm in the stock fuel pressure regulator had gone duff?

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

Yeah when i removed the vac pipe on the fpr it had fuel in it so i think the diaphragm had failed. My bad for not replacing it! One of the only things i haven't, typical isn't it

Back to the top
YES MATE Congratulations on getting her running!!!  Just seen this and read through your trials and tribulations over the past what… 6-7 years… to get to this point you must be over the moon.  One thing though.. your knuckles must be red raw getting around that engine bay with a spanner… there's barely enough room to get a flies nutsack in there!!  Very impressed.

Back to the top

Re:

Spudfingers said

YES MATE Congratulations on getting her running!!!  Just seen this and read through your trials and tribulations over the past what… 6-7 years… to get to this point you must be over the moon.  One thing though.. your knuckles must be red raw getting around that engine bay with a spanner… there's barely enough room to get a flies nutsack in there!!  Very impressed.
Haha! Thanks mate, there have been so many up's and down's with it. Especially with the bodywork after the first place i took it too bodged it i was ready to throw in the towel and get rid tbh. So glad i didnt now though. It's been bloody stressful not going to lie especially for the poor mrs . In terms of sore knuckles, its definitely tight in the bay but the thing i like about the g60 lump is that the basic block and head design is very similar to the original engine so it looks at home in the bay. I will hopefully get it to some shows this year and actually bloody drive it!

Back to the top
Thing is mate it's yours… from the very bones to being on the road it's your work.  It's easy to get the low points but keep pushing and itll be a stonker of a car!!  My engine rebuild and getting the car on the road again took years due to family life, kids etc… but it's an amazing feeling taking her out of the garage… you are doing 10 times that work so i can only imagine what that would feel like on the first run!!!!!!

Back to the top
When I look at the pic of the freshly painted body sitting on the trolley in Page 1 of your thread, it is one of my favourite pics on the forum.  Super straight and a deep finish.

I know what you mean about highs and lows, there are challenges that come with doing a car to this standard, but the end result is amazing.  I've just seen your vid of the engine running on Facebake and it sounds epic.

Can't wait to see the finished article in daylight, and health to drive/enjoy.

Back to the top

Re:

Spudfingers said

Thing is mate it's yours… from the very bones to being on the road it's your work.  It's easy to get the low points but keep pushing and itll be a stonker of a car!!  My engine rebuild and getting the car on the road again took years due to family life, kids etc… but it's an amazing feeling taking her out of the garage… you are doing 10 times that work so i can only imagine what that would feel like on the first run!!!!!!
Yeah i know exactly what you mean. I have 2 little girls so life does get in the way, I only get saturday afternoon on it really which is one of the reasons its taken so long but I'm on the home straight now. Just need to get this bloody interior in.

Back to the top

Re:

Pistol said

When I look at the pic of the freshly painted body sitting on the trolley in Page 1 of your thread, it is one of my favourite pics on the forum.  Super straight and a deep finish.

I know what you mean about highs and lows, there are challenges that come with doing a car to this standard, but the end result is amazing.  I've just seen your vid of the engine running on Facebake and it sounds epic.

Can't wait to see the finished article in daylight, and health to drive/enjoy.
Thanks for the kind words pal. That's one of the best things about the owners club the positivity and words of wisdom are what keeps you going. I've got to say that pic of the bodyshell and getting it running are my two highlights so far. Seeing that bodyshell on the trolley was unreal, up there with the birth of my kids especially after all the sh*t I went through with the other bodyshop.

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

Centre grille on with custom badge.

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

Headlights and rest of grille fitted.

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti resto

Work of art mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
i wont too swear lol nice install looks as if it always been in there

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti g60 restoration

Got a few bits done during this lockdown but haven't had as much time as i would like due to still having to work. The jobs i have done are
-duckbill spoiler fitted
-arch spats fitted
-inner arch protectors fitted
- side trims fitted
-wiring threaded through bootlid and a pillars (pain in the a*se)
-rear wiper motor and washer jet/piping fitted
-brakes and clutch bled
-wired in rad fan and ran engine up to temp (everything seems lovely)

So yeah getting there slowly. I want to get headlining in next but dreading it as interior trim is my least favourite job. Is it an easy job? And could i do it by myself? As getting some help whilst this virus is about is a no no atm. I bought the full kit from newton commercial and it comes with instructions and it doesn't seem too bad. Any suggestions are welcome

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.