Skip navigation

so who else is crazy enough to be working on their mk1 in this weather?

Back to the top

its a bit fresh out...!

Same here, very cold, wearing 4 layers on top, 3 layers down below.

A bit of tidying up, finding tools and parts.

A bit of painting, assisted by warming up the items to be painted and the paint on a radiator in the house before spraying in the garage.

Then back in the house for drying.

Back to the top
iv been in the garage freezing cold doing filler work the last couple of day which is usually quite hard with numb hands.

Back to the top
at best it got to 2c today, plenty of snow in the air,
few layers on and got stuck in to it. the blow torch helped matters :)

Back to the top

JonP said

at best it got to 2c today, plenty of snow in the air,
few layers on and got stuck in to it. the blow torch helped matters :)

That blow torch was a godsend. Took me until Stevenage to feel my feet again.  :lol:

Back to the top
I can't do it! Ive thought long and hard about it on my days off but its just too cold :-(

I have got loads of jobs I could be getting on with I justhaven't  bothered!

Back to the top
Not the mk1 (that's away for the winter) … but a couple of weeks ago, I shovelled the snow off the driveway, and (starting at 1 in the afternoon) we fitted coilovers to my mate's passat - came in practically frozen a bit after 6 after doing the tracking by torch-light.

I changed the heater matrix (to make the heater work - not because of a leak) on the mk2 while it was snowing a few weeks ago.

I've had trouble with handbrake cables on both these cars, and have changed them whilst lying in the snow too.

My best effort yet was a few years back, I helped my mate do the head gasket on his 16V Rover… Outside… in February…. minus 4 degrees… We even took the workshop wood burning stove outside, and fired it up next to the car!

Back to the top

fonzooorooo said

Not the mk1 (that's away for the winter) … but a couple of weeks ago, I shovelled the snow off the driveway, and (starting at 1 in the afternoon) we fitted coilovers to my mate's passat - came in practically frozen a bit after 6 after doing the tracking by torch-light.

I changed the heater matrix (to make the heater work - not because of a leak) on the mk2 while it was snowing a few weeks ago.

I've had trouble with handbrake cables on both these cars, and have changed them whilst lying in the snow too.

My best effort yet was a few years back, I helped my mate do the head gasket on his 16V Rover… Outside… in February…. minus 4 degrees… We even took the workshop wood burning stove outside, and fired it up next to the car!

You sound a bit radio rentals mate if you don't mind me saying.  :lol:  ;)

Back to the top
^ I know…

Needs doing though. It's either get it done, or walking everywhere till the weather picks up!

Back to the top
Thought about doing the exhaust on my car this evening but the bitter cold wind put me off, as well as a rubbish long drive home.

Back to the top

JonP said

Thought about doing the exhaust on my car this evening but the bitter cold wind put me off, as well as a rubbish long drive home.

Shame would be good to hear on yours to get an idea of what it will sound like.  :wub:

Back to the top
it'll be on ready for sunday

Back to the top
Hi,

fitted the 5-speed box to the diesel today, and modified the linkage to find all the gears.
It all works fine, but I'll be changing the bushes soon, as it's a bit vague - much quieter that the 4-speed though.

Robin

VW Golf 1500D 5-door 1978 - was daily (wet)
VW Golf 1800 cabriolet 1980 - daily (dry)
Bedford CF Trailblazer 1978 - camper
Bedford CF 350 Flatbed 1976 - fun/work
Mercedes W108 280s 1970 - dusty and forgotten
Mercedes S123 200T 1983 - to be renovated
Mercedes C124 1989 - Winter Beater
BMW E21 1976/82 - dusty but not forgotten
Twingo 2004 (not my fault, somebody gave it to me!)

Back to the top

JonP said

it'll be on ready for sunday

Wahoo. Looking forward to it mate.  :party:

Back to the top
Just got the baby to sleep so got a couple of hours to find my earthing problem!  Baby monitor next to me on full volume with hat, scarf and 4 layers on!

Back to the top
Spent today putting the Cab' back together, (wing mirrors, body kit etc) to be fair it's a bit warmer than when the thread was started, but there is nothing better than a dry day playing with a Golf!
Interior refit will be on Sunday… then the engine hopefully before April!! 

Back to the top
I had to do some work on the car this week, so decided to fire up the 'hobo fire' to keep warm  :)

Back to the top
Nice touch Jabbo.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.