Skip navigation

What's a series 1 gti worth these days?

Back to the top
Hi,

I've got the opportunity to buy a series 1 gti in great condition, lots of service history and 82,000 miles.

You very rarely see these for sale now and was wondering what you guys think they are worth?

You see campaigns going for upto £12k now. Are the series 1's worth more or less? To me the series 1 is much more desirable but what do you guys think?

Cheers!

Back to the top
Oh yeah it's completely original with a great interior. 

Back to the top
Buy it!

If you dont want it ill buy it, ive been after one for ages

Let me know mate

1983 Mk1 Golf Gti 1.8 - Black
1999 Toyota Hi-Lux - White
2008 British Bulldog age 1 - Red & White
2009 Range Rover Sport - Black
2012 Mitsubishi Canter Tipper - Orange

Back to the top
What year is it? I've just took delivery on a 79 gti myself but mine was a bargain! How much is the seller asking for this one?

Back to the top
I think if you want it pay whatever price you can haggle it for!

If they know what they have it wont be cheap, but as long as not stupidly overpriced you'll never lose money on it and will regret not buying it if it's a good one

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
It's not mot'd at the mo and its a non runner as its been in a garage for years. But its in great condition. What do you guys think its worth? 

Back to the top
Their value is relative to their condition. One or two are low mileage and mint, and I imagine £20k would be top whack. Others are wrecked and missing important parts which would see less than a grand. I know of 3 that have sold for hundreds rather than thousands in recent years. However, they needed lots doing.
Calculate what's needed, and add it to the bill, and quite often you'll end up in 5 figures. For some examples, the dash is missing - try and get one for less than £200. The steering wheel has gone - £150. Door panels are warped or missing - £100 if you can find them. The seats aren't there, or need recovering - up to £1k. This list can be a long one if you want originality.
Series 1 parts are getting thin on the ground and tougher to trace. When you do find them, they are often very expensive.
In short, you may find a great one that needs nothing for £10k, or a wreck that needs restoring, but is dirt cheap to buy. However, you'll no doubt spend £10k doing the wreck up. I speak from experience with several series 1 GTI's.

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
Go on, buy it you know you want to.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Is it a silver non sunroof one...?

Back to the top

benandemu said

Their value is relative to their condition. One or two are low mileage and mint, and I imagine £20k would be top whack. Others are wrecked and missing important parts which would see less than a grand. I know of 3 that have sold for hundreds rather than thousands in recent years. However, they needed lots doing.
Calculate what's needed, and add it to the bill, and quite often you'll end up in 5 figures. For some examples, the dash is missing - try and get one for less than £200. The steering wheel has gone - £150. Door panels are warped or missing - £100 if you can find them. The seats aren't there, or need recovering - up to £1k. This list can be a long one if you want originality.
Series 1 parts are getting thin on the ground and tougher to trace. When you do find them, they are often very expensive.
In short, you may find a great one that needs nothing for £10k, or a wreck that needs restoring, but is dirt cheap to buy. However, you'll no doubt spend £10k doing the wreck up. I speak from experience with several series 1 GTI's.

Ok Sounds good, the interior is very good, all the bits are there, it just needs a bit of paint and a service and I think it'll be a beauty in really nice condition. But unless a mint one is worth £10k it wont be worth buying. But as you said they can be then it might be worth it. I dont want to say the price on here, but its thousands not hundreds. I'm getting a good look on it monday and will decide then.

Back to the top

butler said

Is it a silver non sunroof one…?

Nope  :ninja:

Back to the top

bigbadchris said

Buy it!

If you dont want it ill buy it, ive been after one for ages

Let me know mate

I'll let you know if I dont buy it  :thumbs:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

:) I defo do want to but dont want it to cost more than its worth to get it all sorted and back on the road.

Back to the top

Ronnie85 said

smudger1980 said

:) I defo do want to but dont want it to cost more than its worth to get it all sorted and back on the road.

Unless you're planning on selling it straight on that's not important mate. S1's are only going to go one way in terms of value IMO due to their rarity.

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Ronnie85 said

smudger1980 said

:)I defo do want to but dont want it to cost more than its worth to get it all sorted and back on the road.
Unless you're planning on selling it straight on that's not important mate. S1's are only going to go one way in terms of value IMO due to their rarity.
Very true but the value will reach a limit,lower mile ones in the past have fetched 8k so I think spending thousands on one that needs work does take decent consideration. If you can spare 10k to sink into it and never want to or need to recoup the money and it ticks all the boxes then i`d go for it as a stock series one gti is a rare beast and the pinnacle of vw`s. I`d love a non sunroof black series one…!!

Just to add don`t think of it as an investment…!!! it`s not. 

Back to the top
No I agree but think of the fun you would have restoring and then driving it and showing it off.

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

No I agree but think of the fun you would have restoring and then driving it and showing it off.

If I could find one,afford to restore it i`d love to own another one…… big IF finding them…!!!

Back to the top
This has inflated over the last 3 years.

Redirect Notice

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C363445

Back to the top
If its a full gti, ie all parts are there, it will cost no more than any other golf to restore… 

If they're not there stay clear! Pit fall of money! 

Back to the top

butler said

This has inflated over the last 3 years.

Redirect Notice

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C363445

Wow what a price jump. Is it really worth that?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.