Skip navigation

dipstick issues

Back to the top
Hello all,

i have a issue…

I bought a DX engine it has no dipstick guide and a really bent dipstick that seems far too long..

Does anyone have a clue what lenght this should be and also what guide i need, or do you have a pair i can buy??

Cheers

Mk1 golf gti 8v slow resto mk2 golf gtd Mk 4 golf tdi B3 passat gtd (stripped and scrapped) Suzuki Sv650s(sold)

Back to the top

Back to the top
Sweet…

done and sotred..

Thanks for that

Mk1 golf gti 8v slow resto mk2 golf gtd Mk 4 golf tdi B3 passat gtd (stripped and scrapped) Suzuki Sv650s(sold)

Back to the top
Got the new dipstick and I have the same issue with the new guide fitted the dipstick is still miles too long??? Anyone got any clues??

Back to the top
When i asked my local VW garage about a new dip stick guide they said that they only started to use the guide after a certain engine number, i can not remember which engine number that was but mine is a very early 83 GTI and does not use the orange guide. I do believe there are 2 different types of dipstick, i am sure some body on here will know more. I am away working for a couple of months so cant help any further, or maybe go into your local VW garage with chassis and engine number and they should be able to advise more.
Andy

Back to the top
That must be what i need a short dipstick with no guide, i will call vw up and see if they can help..

Thanks mate

Back to the top
Just a thought my dip stick still rattles around as if there should be something else there, i sent off for a felt ring via vw heretige which when fitted did not look right, although i am assured by vw that this is the correct fitting?

it would be interesting to know what solution you come up with.
Andy

Back to the top
Just been out measuring my two. Mrs Early thinks I'm mad….

The DX (early 1800 from mid 1982) has a small tube 5cm long, sticking out of lower crankcase, almost impossible to see and get dipstick in 1st attempt. The dipstick itself is 19.5cm from tip to blue/green rubber T shaped stopper. There is then a bent metal loop for you to pull.

The 1987 1.8 EX carb in the Cabriolet has the plastic orange guide as in above link, this is on a longer tube 28cm from the bottom of the crankcase. The dip stick itself is 41 cm from larger red/orange rubber bung to tip. It too has a bent metal loop like the DX not like the dipstick in the link.

This looks like my Cabrio dip stick;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-golf-engine-oil-dipstick-Gti-8V-early-cabriolet-campaign-E8-/321061902914?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac0c7da42

Hope this helps.

Last edit: by Early-1800

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
This is why this site is so good, there is always someone who knows the answer..
Andy

Back to the top
That helps alot mate,

I must have the early engine as i only have the small tube sticking out of the block, i think what's confused me is that i got the engine with the longer dipstick in with all the spares..

I need a smaller dipstick, best get searching the web!!!

thanks for your help

Back to the top
Hi question about the dipstick length… I have the old type but the stopper keeps sliding up and down the stick so I need to fix it in place… Is it 19.5cm from tip to beginning of stopper or to the top?? 

Thanks in advance :) 

Back to the top
Can't remember off the top of my head I will have a look in the morning and let you know

Back to the top
That would be spot on! Thank you :)

Back to the top
worst case you can convert to late type if you pull the guide out and swap in the longer one. its just a press fit :)

the plastic guide piece needs a good hard shove to clip to the longer tube properly, othwewise it'll flop and rattle about the place, and come out with the dipstick whenever you check your oil :lol:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Just measured it it'd 17.5 from the tip to the bottom of the stopper…

Hope this helps

Back to the top
Awesome :) thank you for the effort! … I bought one of the new type ones hoping it would fit… It's way longer than the current one and I can't see the guide making any difference with it :/ 

Back to the top
No worries…It doesn't work unfortunately, I tried that route as my engine never came with a dipstick in the end I had to buy a short one as the long one with the guide was still far too long

Back to the top
Thanks for the info :) I'll just stick the new one on eBay :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

worst case you can convert to late type if you pull the guide out and swap in the longer one. its just a press fit :)the plastic guide piece needs a good hard shove to clip to the longer tube properly, othwewise it'll flop and rattle about the place, and come out with the dipstick whenever you check your oil :lol:
Another straightforward question for the mighty rubjonny! :lol:

I'm rebuilding a DX block that has the short dipstick guide fitted. I want to replace it with the longer type. I've acquired these three parts:
049 103 634    Dipstick lower tube
053 103 663    dipstick guide funnel
027 115 611C    dipstick

From the respective lengths it all looks like it should marry up OK, but how do you get the old tube out of the block? It may be a press fit but it's bloody tight! Tried bashing it out from underneath with a 1/4 socket extension but it seemed like the square end was just getting stuck in the guide. Any tips?

Stone

"Klaus": 1987 Clipper Cabrio, LA7Y, 1.8 Weber (auto)
1995 Corrado VR6, LK4Z: RIP
2003 Golf R32, LB5R

Back to the top
bashing it out from the bottom is the way to do it, since its been in there 30 odd years it may put up a fight!

need something thats a real nice fit up the tube so you can get enough force on the guide without it becoming jammed in the hole. try a selection of sockets might be able to find something suitable

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.