Skip navigation

Loud squeal and juddering.

Back to the top
Picked up the belt today - Thank you for everyone' help ! Car is booked in at the garage next Thursday for this plus my Thermostat change.

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top

mark1gls said

No worries,
let us know how you get on with the belt. :ocf_emoticons__icon_biggrin:

Helloooooo : )

Belt was replaced yesterday and that silly noise has gone (thankfully) Have a new one now though  ;)  - I (think?) this one is due to belt being new though. It kinda sounds like a super charger does when you depress the accelerator more and more, a whirling noise, make any sense to anyone??

Back to the top
It could be the belt is to tight, if you press the belt halfway between the alternator and crack shaft it should move about 10mm with using just your index finger.
Has anyone touched your cam belt?
The other reason why the car sounds like its supercharged is the cam belt is to tight.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

It could be the belt is to tight, if you press the belt halfway between the alternator and crack shaft it should move about 10mm with using just your index finger.
Has anyone touched your cam belt?
The other reason why the car sounds like its supercharged is the cam belt is to tight.

Will have a look tomorrow, no-one has touched the cam belt (or at least I hope not) The noise has only kicked in since the alternator belt change??

Back to the top
I've got a similar problem with my Golf mk1 2001 1.3 carb. More than before when it rains my alternator fan squeals very badly. 
Is this normal? 
And will something happen if I keeping throttling whilr this happens?

Back to the top
squealing in the wet is normally down to the alternator belt slipping because it is either worn or too loose.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Stick on a new belt as they should be replaced every couple of years.
After about a week you will need to check and possibly re tighten it as they stretch.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Loud squeal and juddering.

Iirc there's two sorts of belts.
Some are either too wide or narrow and don't sit in the pulley grooves properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.