Skip navigation

"Penny" the MK1 Cab Daily Driver/Project

Back to the top
thanks robin :) nah was just checking all the fuses and relays in the hope something had died somewhere but no joy - you're absolutely right its got a mechanical fuel pump

still having no joy, been poking around checking connections and the like, cant find anything hanging off, no blown fuses or anything :(

have bitten the bullet and ordered coil, distributer and ignition module for tomorrow morning.

gonna try and test all my existing bits if i can figure out how! gonna try and do some research now

Back to the top
Got her running yet?

Back to the top
oops forgot to update this!

well after fitting the weber, replacing the fuel pump and then re-fitting the old rubber mount (new one died almost instantly!) I narrowed the problem down to either the coil, ignition switch on the scuttle or the dizzy.

Diagnostics with a multimeter just went round in circles so I phoned up Javabob ^ who very kindly lent me his coil and ignition switch to narrow the possibilities before spending some cash - the upshot is it was the ignition switch :) so £31 later its all fixed and running like a dream  :thumbs:

Back to the top
oh and i've got some new wheels turning up tomorrow as I'm not really a bbs fan and can never be arsed to clean all the spokes properly  :lol:

pics tomorrow   :cool:

Back to the top
randomly parked next to another cabby the other day

and here are my new wheels:

original VW Scala Snowflakes 14" 6J Nothing too exciting but i've always liked them and should clean up nicely with the polishing kit i've ordered from evilbay. Most of the ugliness is corrosion under the laquer as water has got in, so an aggressive polish should get rid of it and then buff up to a shine and laquer.

here's a wheel up close (lost even more laquer after a scrub)

and here's after I had a couple of hours to kill with some autosol and a microfibre

it looks painfully similar but in real life its so much better, just need something more aggressive to get rid of the remaining laquer and pitting so shouldnt be a big problem

Back to the top
hey mate just been reading through youre thread looks like your car has been a major pain in the ass lol

at least its going now it will all be worth it come summer !!!
and i gotta say in the pics on the first page it looks stunning :D

ive just got some snowflakes for my cabby too, got the joys of polishing them to come…  :D

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

hey mate just been reading through youre thread looks like your car has been a major pain in the ass lol

at least its going now it will all be worth it come summer !!!
and i gotta say in the pics on the first page it looks stunning :D

ive just got some snowflakes for my cabby too, got the joys of polishing them to come…  :D

Scott

Thanks Scott :) I gave her a proper clean this weekend and she does come up nice

any pics of yours on the snowflakes? after some inspiration  ;)

Back to the top
Congrats on getting her running again properly mate. Sounds like you had a right carry on with it.

:D

Back to the top
Those wheels look nice Z.

Back to the top
heres mine sat on a set of silver snowflakes just after the respray :) although ive sold them and now have a set of black/polished ones

scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Congrats on getting her running again properly mate. Sounds like you had a right carry on with it.

:D

Yeah it was becoming a bit of a running joke with the mechanic  :lol: But in the end I got it all fixed mainly off my own back (with a few helpful pointers) and only cost about £50 so not bad, and I do enjoy working on it anyway

Javabob said

Those wheels look nice Z.

Cheers Rob, hopefully gonna start to look nicer when I pick my polishing kit up from the Post Depot tomorrow  :thumbs:

arf333 said

heres mine sat on a set of silver snowflakes just after the respray :) although ive sold them and now have a set of black/polished ones

scott

OOOF! thats gorgeous Scott - what colour is that? looks very very nice. Good to know the wheels work fully silver, now i've got a back up plan if I mess them up  :lol:

Back to the top
and I really want some clear headlights. Its on the list…  just gotta sell some stuff first!

Back to the top
thanks :) its capri green.. the paints why i got the car tbh i hadnt seen it in that colour before!

they look good in just silver but i just like the polished/black look :)

the clear headlights make all the difference, i can actually see in the dark !! lol

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

thanks :) its capri green.. the paints why i got the car tbh i hadnt seen it in that colour before!

they look good in just silver but i just like the polished/black look :)

the clear headlights make all the difference, i can actually see in the dark !! lol

Lights are on my shopping list, just need to buy a million and one other things first lol

I've started polishing up one of the snowflakes and its coming on nicely, but taking forever  :P

I just dont have the time to do them so thinking I might spray the spokes silver for the time being and get them properly refub'd and polished sometime down the line…

Back to the top
Did a bit of work on Penny today - replaced this water pipe connector on the passenger side of the block.

As you can see the rubber was completely shot and as a result i'd lost half of my water!  :ogot it changed at the right time I think lol

then moved on to the heater motor which died way back in December… did a bit of reading and discovered its a pig of a job, hence the delay. Oh and the weather  :dry:but I tackled it today and success! it works :)but seriously it is a bloody horrible fiddly job - my fingers are shredded. If it dies again its staying dead  :lol:Then I moved on to the next task, water proofing the roof. I've been getting wet seats when there's really heavy, constant rain which I've read is often due to the vinyl roof going porous which allows water to run along the top of the headlining, bounce off the door seals and land on the seats. Solution is water proofing liquid/spray. I opted for Renovo as its got really good reviews across a whole host of car forums (not just vag either). I chose to go for the cleaner aswell as the water proofer.

here's an after pic:

fingers crossed the roof's now no longer porous. Still got to sort out the leaky rear window though, i've noticed a bit of rust on the interior side so it's probably a window out, clean up the frame job but that can wait. I'll prob just re-seal the rubber with a bit of silicone for the time being (out of sight) and then splash out on a whole new roof next summer

Back to the top
I've really got to stop taking pics with my phone  :lol:

Back to the top
Looks great mate.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Cheers dude :)

it looks so much better in real life - might give the old gal a clean on the weekend and take some proper pictures :)

Back to the top
Good idea. Treat her to a bath and some fancy shots.  :lol:

Back to the top
May be for sale now £1800 for a quick sale

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.