Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

Also found a selection of original/genuine front and rear MK1 Golf badges.
I wonder what tailgate badge I should use this week? :lol:

Back to the top
That catch tank looks nicely made!!

Bet there's not many of those touch up paints in existence mate :o

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Bet there's not many of those touch up paints in existence mate :o
It's still full of fresh paint too, and still smells new.
I opened it and touched up a few bits at the weekend.  :ocf_emoticons__BangHead: :o

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

That catch tank looks nicely made!!

I wish I could weld like that.
I think it only cost £35-40 quid too. Bargain really.

Back to the top
You may have spotted the Neuspeed upper rear strut brace in one of the previous pic's. I recently fitted it. Pretty straight forward to fit, but you do need to drill two holes into the boot floor for the left hand side post. The kit comes with special polyurethane top mounts which further stiffen up the rear end, along with the diagonal bar with bolts to the right hand side bumper mounting. Excellent quality. Only took an hour to fit. It would also fit neatly behind the rear seats, if you have such things in your car.

Back to the top
That a nice catch tank, like the welding ;)

Like the touch up kit too!  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

That a nice catch tank, like the welding ;)

Like the touch up kit too!  :cool:

I only wish I could say it's my handy work! (although I did fit it  :)   )

I also had a newer touch up kit, but that had dried up.  :(

Back to the top
Great thread, Im thinking its a bit more involved fitting the bike carbs then i thought.. im not that lucky for it to be take off, bolt on , job done haha….
found me a set of R1 carbs so its just a case of the manifold now…

Instagram Firemandan1

Back to the top

dano999 said

Great thread, Im thinking its a bit more involved fitting the bike carbs then i thought.. im not that lucky for it to be take off, bolt on , job done haha….
found me a set of R1 carbs so its just a case of the manifold now…

Would be great to see another 8v R1  :)

It's definitely not far from being a just a spanner job. I forgot to mention in the thread you also need use a bike brake cable to operate the accelerator pedal, but this again is easy to sort out.

Back to the top
I'd been slowly loosing weight from the car, so next on the project list was to reduce a bit of high level weight, so in preparation it was shopping time at the VW dealers again:

So I could fit these, polycarbonate glass all round (except the windscreen)

While fitting the fronts ,new clips were used, a new coat of paint for the bracket and new rubber trim.

This was the first time the windows had been removed since leaving the VW factory in 1983. :oAmazing to see how clean the body work was underneath the window seals, meaning the new windows could be put straight in.

Back window - again never been removed from the car before, a bit fiddly to remove, and a bit fiddly to ensure the new glass and seal refitted perfectly. But got there after two-three attempts.

Back to the top
Obviously the MK1 is a light car to start with, even lighter with the following changes.

Back seats removed. Weight saved: approx 8kg
No spare wheel. Weight saved: approx 12kg
K-Jet metering head and braided lines removed. Weight saved: approx 10kg
Carbon fibre bonnet. Weight saved: 7.68kg
Polycabonate glass. Weight saved: 9.56kg
Lightened flywheel. Weight saved: 1.74kg

Weight saving to date: 48.98kg :)The weight saving on a pukka stripped out MK1 Golf track car with no bumpers, light weight doors and seats must be huge!

Back to the top
I've been meaning to replace the spark plugs for a while. As the car passed this years MOT without any faults or advisories, I treated the car to these:

Set of new NGK B8ECS plugs to replace the current Bosch Super4's WR78's. The Super 4's have been on the car for the last four years, so were overdue for replacement.

The B8ECS plugs had been recommended for a high spec 8v engine. The B8ECS is a colder plug than the B7ECS, which I believe is the standard replacement spec plug?

I'd found this on the web, document listing the B8ECS plugs 'for race engines'.  Oooh! :lol:http://www.rallyboutique.com/produkter/golf/Prislista%20Golf%20MK2.pdf

Anyway.. spanners outs, few minutes later, new plugs fitted.

Back to the top
With the new spark plugs fitted, idle is now super smooth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GMVoacI48ZY

3rd/4th gear mid range torque. I think my porky Sebring wheels stunt the acceleration a bit, but the engine has still got that 8v torquey characteristic

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3OsjcpD1P0&feature=player_detailpage

Edit: Just found the comcode tag assistant so have now embedded the youtube link. Thks :thumbs:Hopefully be able to post a few more pics shortly of the last bits of bodywork to do, as this didn't happen over Winter.:$

Last edit: by Lhasa2008

Back to the top
Unfortunately I didn't find anytime to work on the car over winter, but got the tinkering bug back and bought a complete Polo GTI 6n2 rear axle. I thought it was time I upgraded the rear drums to disks, which should improve brake cooling and make changing pads disks a bit easier.

Complete rear axle from Polo GTI 6n2 including callipers, carriers, disks/pads, brakelines, stub axles and abs sensors all for £64.00 :thumbs:

Callipers and carriers removed.

Disks/pads and rear bearing/hub removed.  (All original parts - still had OE VW sticker on them!)

Stub Axle removed

Complete axle now stripped down, ready for a clean up.
Next job will be to check the callipers/carriers and get rid of the red paint, as I would prefer a more MK1 OEM colour, either a zinc gold/silver or maybe black?

Back to the top
a nice looking pile of parts, will look great once refurbished  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

a nice looking pile of parts, will look great once refurbished  :thumbs:

matt

I hope so, I'll be digging out the dremel this weekend.  :thumbs:

GSF and Eurocarparts are charging ridiculous amount for these particular calipers, so hopefully a little bit of cleaning, tlc and a lick of high temp paint should save me a heap of money.  :)

Back to the top
The calipers seem to be fairly indestructible, mine were in a similar state to yours, stripped them down, bit of wire wheeling and they look like new. Just need to rebuild with new seals and nipples.

Matt

Back to the top
Got a few more bits delivered this week. Hopefully they'll all be fitted in time for VW Festival. :)

The Polo 6N2 GTI stub axles have now been removed and cleaned up. And took delivery this week of some Scirocco 16v handbrake cables and conversion cables. :cool: 

Back to the top
Rear disks arrived this week too. Weird finish on them. Looks like they've been zinc/pebble-dashed! :lol:

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

pazwaa said

Cool, hopefully be over to the vw festival Sunday morning, so will come find you. Hope weather is better than last year  O_o

:P  rain, arrgghhhhh!!! (fingers crossed then!)

Just re-read your thread and saw this. A year late, but I got to chat to you eventually  :lol:

Thanks for talking me through the finer points of bike carbs on Saturday, hopefully put it in to practice soon.

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.