Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

I picked this up from the local salvage yard a while back, Polo 9N battery box.

Along with the battery cable from 5 series BMW. £5 for both items. Bargain!
Time to get the spanners out once more :ninja:;)

Back to the top
with a little bit of trimming the battery box now sits perfectly in the spare wheel well.

Then I've run the new +ve battery cable from the starter motor through the bulk head to the rear of the car.

Job done! I've now got 5-8kg of weight moved away from the front corner of the car to low part in the rear. Hopefully this will help with more balanced cornering  :)

Back to the top
Next on my list of jobs was this:

By now I'd been running the engine with 146bhp for a while.  The plan was for a cheap and easy power upgrade. :o

Back to the top
Don't know how I've missed your thread so far, but just corrected that mistake, what a great read it was too, great car and thread  :thumbs:

I'm from near monks cross in Huntington, not far from you, so hopefully meet up at a venue once mines on the road.

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Don't know how I've missed your thread so far, but just corrected that mistake, what a great read it was too, great car and thread  :thumbs:

I'm from near monks cross in Huntington, not far from you, so hopefully meet up at a venue once mines on the road.

Matt

Thanks Matt.

There's more people around the local area than I realised!

Do pop over to the club stand at the VW festival at Leeds on Sunday and say hello.  :)

Back to the top
Cool, hopefully be over to the vw festival Sunday morning, so will come find you. Hope weather is better than last year  O_o

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Cool, hopefully be over to the vw festival Sunday morning, so will come find you. Hope weather is better than last year  O_o

:P  rain, arrgghhhhh!!! (fingers crossed then!)

Back to the top
In preparation for the cheap power upgrade, all the K-jetronic fuel injection from the engine bay was removed, including metering head, warm up regulator and inlet
manifold.

I then picked up a MK1 Golf GTI 8v manifold from ebay for £15. This was then cut down and adapted as below.

Then along with another ebay purchase, Yamaha R1 bike carbs :thumbs:

The result is this:

I then used four 020 sump plugs to seal the original fuel injection ports :)Fuel regulator fitted to reduce k-jet fuel pressure, as I am still using the original fuel injection fuel pump.

Trial fitting on manifold and carbs. Plenty of room! :cool:

Back to the top
Picture with the air filter attached. The masking tape is there, as I thought of cutting through the scuttle panel for a cold air feed.

..but couldn't bring myself to cut away any of the original bodywork, so I used a couple of pipes to feed air from the front of the car instead.

Back to the top
So far, so good, pretty much an easy spanner job from start to finish, except for the manifold which Bogg Brothers modified for me, and did a fantastic job :thumbs:The car also started, which was a bonus!

To finish the job off, I took the car to Bogg Brothers for a rolling road tune up.
The engine was running lean so the main jets where drilled out to 1.75, but since fitting the new manifold and having a further tune up they have now been drilled out to 1.8 - which is the size normally used with 16v engines.

Cost?
Probably about £250 excluding the rolling road tuneups.

Power?
I can't directly compare before and after, as Bogg's don't do rolling road print outs like Stealth do, but the rollers display showed 145-150bhp at the wheels @ 6000rpm. Not exactly big turbo power, but not bad for a little 8v engine.

It's also got a nice BWWWARRPP induction noise now too! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Bet that sounds great every time you hit the gas pedal. Bearing that you're still using the k-jet pump?? How are you controlling the fuelling ?

Back to the top

Cero said

Bet that sounds great every time you hit the gas pedal.
Hi Cero,

The sound is worth the 25mpg I get  :lol:

Cero said

Bearing that you're still using the k-jet pump?? How are you controlling the fuelling ?
Good question!
I had to be a bit creative for that. The k-jet fuel pump is 5 bar IIRC, and the bike carbs only needs 3 bar.
The Filter King I fitted has a built in filter and fuel pressure regular, it's the model that comes with a removable pressure gauge, allowing me to check and set the reduced pressure.

Obviously, there will be excess fuel, so this simply gets returned back to the fuel tank via a T piece connection.
I bought a couple of extra k-jet fuel flexi hoses which would normally be used to connect to the k-jet fuel filter, and cut off the ends
(:o genuine vw items too! Apologies to anyone who was wanting one of these, I assuming they are obsolete now!)
and used these to connect to the Filter King.

I've added some text to the image below for the important bits. As you can see I'm still using the genuine VW metal fuel lines too.

Last edit: by Lhasa2008

Back to the top
I would have thought that with that set-up, the majority of the fuel would just get returned to the tank due to it being the path of least resistance for the fluid?

You obviously get the required 2bar though if you have measured it…    :ocf_emoticons__dontknow:

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

I would have thought that with that set-up, the majority of the fuel would just get returned to the tank due to it being the path of least resistance for the fluid?

You obviously get the required 2bar though if you have measured it…    :ocf_emoticons__dontknow:
The return feed is off the T piece, so not directly on the path of least resistance, if you know what I mean.
I wasn't sure it would work at first TBH, but it's a surprisingly simply and effective solution.

The fuel pressure is measured from the Filter King outlet directly feeding the carbs, so allowing the pressure to be accurately measured  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Top work mate :ocf_emoticons__notworthy:  this build just gets better. I wouldn't know where to start :$

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Top work mate :ocf_emoticons__notworthy: this build just gets better. I wouldn't know where to start :$
Thks mate.

It's easy to start, grab a 10mm spanner and work your way up :thumbs:For anything stubborn, either a lump hammer or angle grinder is useful  ;)It's only when you have a pile of unrelated parts on the garage floor that you are in trouble!  O_oI've previously used photographic evidence to help put things back together  :)(Especially for some of those complex fiddly bits)

Back to the top
There is a couple other bits I forgot to mention as part of fitting the bike carbs. Firstly, I wanted to retain the original servo vacuum and mfa fuel reading, so the inlet manifold has a small metal pipe outlet on the right hand side so that the original vacuum pipe to the servo could be reconnected along with the vacuum pipe which connects to the mfa fuel reading.
You can just see the servo vacuum and mfa vacuum feed on the photo below.

Last edit: by Lhasa2008

Back to the top
The second thing I forgot to mention was what to do with the rocker cover warm air feed/breather pipe which originally connected to the top of the inlet manifold which now had nowhere to go.

Back to the top
This is the solution to the above post, a neatly made (by Bogg Brothers :thumbs:) oil catch tank custom shaped to tuck behind the suspension turret.
Probably one of my favourite engine mods. :)

Back to the top
I'd been having a bit of a tidy up in the garage today and found this:

Original VW Lhasa Metallic touch up paint.

Made in Wolfburg, W. Germany. I couldn't find a date of manufacture, but I assume it's pre the Berlin Wall coming down.O_o

Yes, that's the price I paid on it too! :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.