Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

Top tip #1 - Don't forget to check your gearbox mount if you have a four branch manifold..

top tip #2 - Make sure you have a supply of replacement steering rack boots.. :ocf_emoticons__BangHead:

Top tip #2 - Don't just do a 'quick repair' and put back on the car..:(

New hot-tuning stainless steel four branch manifold :$

What's better than spending an afternoon in your garden..wrapping a new manifold. ;)

Manifold refitted. Note that the hot-tuning one has alot more clearance against the steering rack boot than the Supersprint one. :-)

Comparision, Hot-tuning left, Supersprint on the right.

Hot-tuning (right) slight larger exit diameter.

Comparision Supersprint (left), Hot-tuning (right) welded up to Supersprint Grp.A middle section.

Little bit of fiddling to make sure middle section clears body work and rear axle.

Last edit: by Lhasa2008

Back to the top
I've been looking through the folder of receipts I have, and found these old photos.  Dated April 1998.

Original engine, standard k-jetronic fuel injection with TSR 2008cc bottom end. standard spec cylinder head. April 1998

Back to the top
Nice old pics!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice old pics!  :thumbs:

Thanks. Was taken with when cameras had 'film'!!

Back to the top
Those Corrado wheels look the business and so easy to keep clean  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Cero said

Those Corrado wheels look the business and so easy to keep clean  :thumbs:

Definitely easier to clean than set of three piece BBS's!

Sebrings have a rather understated OEM look about them. A 'marmite' wheel - you'll either love them or hate them!

Back to the top
Love the old pics mate. She's a lovely car.  :wub:

Back to the top

smudger said

Love the old pics mate. She's a lovely car.  :wub:
Thanks mate.

Your's ain't bad either  :thumbs:I've been tinkering with my spanners in the garage today..I may have just spoilt it..  :$ O_o

Last edit: by Lhasa2008

Back to the top
Recent photo from June 2013 (before I got the spanners out, see previous post!)

As you can see the car has kept most of the original features :)Obvious change is the 15" Sebring's instead of the original 13" alloys.  It would be great if they did them in 15's.

Back to the top
OK, I've now got the engine photo's now uploaded..

It's still has an 8v engine, but this has slowly been modified over the time I have owned the car.

First upgrade was a TSR 2.0 bottom end to replace the tired 1.8. Keeping the car as an 8v, the bottom end now had a 2.0 crank and 83mm pistons, making 2008cc.
Having connected this up to the original 8v cylinder head and standard GTI camshaft,  I now had lots of low down torque and very little increase in bhp!

Power 114 bhp
Torque 133 lb/ft. (at something like 2000 rpm)

To help keep to oil temperature down, the original oil cooler was replace with a Mocal 13 row item. Since fitting this the engine has never exceed 100 Deg.C (even on a track day!)

Back to the top
After running in the new bottom end, the next engine upgrade was the addition of a Supersprint stainless steel manifold (until I broke it, see previous posts - doh!).

An instand 10 bhp bolt on upgrade!

Power was now 124bhp.
Torque 151 lb.ft.

Back to the top
Now this is where thing get a bit odd. Circa 1999/2000 a K-Star KS03 was fitted to allow the car to run on normal unleaded 95RON fuel without pinking and without loss of power. Back then 98 RON fuel wasn't available, as petrol stations removed four-star leaded fuel from the forecourts.

A Kent GS2 camshaft was also fitted at the same time.

Fifth injector installed as part of K-Star mapped fuelling, still using original K-Jetronic injection system.

K-Star ECU piggy backed to original ECU:

Power was now 129.9bhp
Torque 129.8 lb.ft.
With 31bhp loss wheels .

Figures recorded at Stealth Racing.

Back to the top
The next engine upgrade was a big value head and fast road cam, circa 2006. The car was currently off the road at this point having lots of TLC to take care of the rust (see page1 of thread :o)

So new shiny cylinder head sat there while the bodywork, fuellines and brakes, suspension were sorted. This took a looong time!
Although I got to know the parts dept at the local VW dealers very well, as I had a new shopping list every other week!

Back to the top
That a nice mk1 mate, I love the sebrings. You certainly like a bit of tinkering lol, I wish I had more knowledge engine wise, just to be able to tweak things the way you have. :cool:

Back to the top
No wonder it runs so cool, I think you must hold a gallon of oil in those oil cooler pipes alone  :lol:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

That a nice mk1 mate, I love the sebrings. You certainly like a bit of tinkering lol, I wish I had more knowledge engine wise, just to be able to tweak things the way you have. :cool:

Thanks.

With the amount of welding and body repair skills you now have, spanner tinkering will be a doddle! IMO, it's easier than crawling under a car welding in new panels!

Back to the top

Cero said

No wonder it runs so cool, I think you must hold a gallon of oil in those oil cooler pipes alone  :lol:

Ha!  :lol:
That's why a buy the oil in 5 litre bottles  :)

Back to the top
Eventually with the floorpan bodywork repairs complete, I left repairing the upper body for now - apart from a few rust spots around the windscreen and slam panel, the rest of the original bodywork was OK, so I put the car back together including fitting the new big value cylinder head - 41mm inlet and 36mm exhaust values.

I then drove back down to Stealth Racing for the K-Star to be remapped. Here is the result:

Power 146 bhp @ 5953
Torque 148.1 lb.ft.
Power loss 30.4 bhp

That was more like it! :thumbs:

Back to the top
With figures like that it'll be a nice torquey engine to drive I bet  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Cero said

With figures like that it'll be a nice torquey engine to drive I bet  :thumbs:

It drives much better since the big valve head was fitted. Before that, all the torque kicked in at low revs, making slow progress in the wet.
The power is much more progressive now.  I can only imagine what a TDI engine in a MK1 will be like  O_o
 :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.