Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

fozzie said

Looks good mate those repair panel prices were cheap back then!!

It's nice to know vw classics are reproducing parts again, but at a price.
A pair of genuine front wings, front and back panels are now £££££!

Lhasa2008

Back to the top
The bodywork and welding was now close to completion - the above photo's had taken me about 3 years so far. Cold wintery nights, crawling underneath a car each weekend, getting weld spatter in my face whilst repairing the rear axle bodywork sections was not much fun  :(The original fuel line clips/brackets/nuts and bolts were looking well past their (re)use by date, so I started another shopping list:

A 50p nut here, and a few  97 pence clips there. I managed to spend £28.95 at GPC on just nuts and bolts!
Parts were sources from GPC, main VW dealers and GSF (171 201 220D fuel pipe, what a life saver - it was obsolete everywhere else!)

Oh, and another £142.75 from GPC for genuine brackets and hoses. £ouch!

Last edit: by Lhasa2008

Back to the top
It all mounts up mate doesn't it. I've managed over £150 on sundries so far on my build :(

Back to the top
When the original fuel tank was removed there was too much rust around the return pipe to reuse it,
The main VW dealers had two or three genuine fuel tanks left in stock, but were close to £300 with VAT, so I managed to find a equivalent replacement part from Hadrian car panels for £69.29+VAT.  :DI also bough a lower rear panel from Hadrian for £15.68+VAT!   :D

Fuel pump, pipes and brackets assembled ready to go back on the car.

New fuel tank now in place, and new metal fuel lines sourced from GPC. Didn't realise until seeing them in the flesh, why GPC were unable to post them! (These are the long, shaped fuel lines that run from the engine bay to the fuel tank..). A six hour round trip later, and a few hours underneath the car swearing  :banghead: , they were now fitted.

Fuel pump and bracket now fitted.

Autocavan (Remember them?) stainless steel fuel filler neck just visible in pic.

New metal fuel lines fitted along with new clips.

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

It all mounts up mate doesn't it. I've managed over £150 on sundries so far on my build :(

It's when you hack off a bolt or bracket to save time, not realising it's either

a) Obsolete
b) 'On back order'
c) £34.95 + VAT

:banghead:

LOL

Lhasa2008

Back to the top
£300 plus VAT for a tank? :lol: What a bunch of muppets.

I've got to sort fuel lines and fuel pump in the near future so have got this all to come :banghead:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

£300 plus VAT for a tank? :lol: What a bunch of muppets.

I've got to sort fuel lines and fuel pump in the near future so have got this all to come :banghead:

I don't think I managed to get a single nut and bolt off intact when doing mine!
I could do with another fuel pump too, mine's got that high pitch noise coming from it.
Anyone recommend a supplier that sells genuine Bosch ones?

Lhasa2008

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

MalC said

Very nice mate lots of good work gone into save this….where abouts in east yorks are you ?

Yeah, it could have easily just been scrapped for a few hundred quid at the time.

I'm not far from Pocklington, what about you?

Lhasa2008

Good job it didnt  8)

Not that far….near Selby

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

smudger1980 said

£300 plus VAT for a tank? :lol:What a bunch of muppets.

I don't think I managed to get a single nut and bolt off intact when doing mine!
I could do with another fuel pump too, mine's got that high pitch noise coming from it.
Anyone recommend a supplier that sells genuine Bosch ones?

Lhasa2008

I've got a couple of new boxed Bosch item in the garage somewhere which I won't be using if you want to buy. My old ones on my cars had stopped working because they had stood for too long, but I soaked them in carb cleaner and they started working. So I took out all the old ones I had and got most of them to work.

Back to the top
How would you want for one?

Thanks

Lhasa2008

Back to the top
£70 inc postage and packing.

Back to the top
Couple more pics of the bodywork. Just a quick coating of primer to protect the new panels.

Back to the top
Next step brakelines.

The rear brake bias was still OK, so this got reused, but I took the opportunity to replace the servo and vacuum pipes, and made up new brake pipes using cupro-nickle kunifer, which I believe is more corrosion resistant (but harder to bend into shape)

Braided Goodridge Hoses used.

Crossed drilled G60 disks machined down to 270mm with an Autocavan carrier adapters, to fit snuggly behind Pirelli P 14" wheels.  :)

Back to the top
I'd been thinking about upgrading to 15" alloys for a while, so I bought a set of Corrado 15" Sebring alloys and got them reburbished.
Incidentially, I have been told that these wheels were originally from one of the very first F plated UK VW demo Corrado's.

Which means I could now fit these:  ;)

280mm G60 disks and Wilwood 4 pots nicely tucked away. :ninja: ;)
(Unfortunately not quite enough clearance to be able to use stick-on wheels weights on the inside of the wheel though) 

Back to the top
Inspirational for me this fella :) 

Back to the top
The original gearbox jammed in third gear when leaving a petrol station, meaning a 10 mile drive home stuck in third gear - which is not as easy as you may think if you have to stop at junctions on the way!

So a spare MK2 Golf GTI ACD (close ratio) gearbox was fitted by swapping over the MK2 100mm cv cups to the MK1 90mm cups.

I also took the opportunity to fit a lightened flywheel at the same time.

Back to the top

Brad. said

Inspirational for me this fella :) 

Thanks.  

It was all other existing inspirational MK1's on here that made me want to do mine.  :wub:  :)

Back to the top
With the OEM+ look in mind, I was lucky to source a brand new pair of genuine SA MK1 half tinted rear lights at a price that would now be consider an absolute bargain!

Back to the top
Eventually got round to re-hosting the photos since I've switch ISP's.

So should now be able to add some info on the engine now  :)

Back to the top
Get those updates posted up  :thumbs:  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.